Brake Pads and Friction Surface
The chart listed below on the left represents the individual pad friction quality and the recommended rotor to use with each pad. For example, Speedway’s 156 pad works great for street use, on aluminum or steel rotors. The 156 pad is also supplied to fit multiple calipers: GM metric ’78 up, GM mid-size ’69-’77, and multiple Wilwood calipers.
If you’re trying to match up a new set of brake pads and you’re unsure which Wilwood caliper you have, the chart listed below on the right shows the dimensions of each pad, along with the caliper that it will fit.
- FULL - Used with ceramic coated rotors. High friction, long wear with the highest fade resistance in extreme temperature conditions.
- GATOR - Used with iron or steel rotors. High friction, works well at low to mid temperature. Good pad for dirt or moderate asphalt racing.
- POLY B - Used with iron or steel rotors. Medium-high friction, good cold response. Gently rising torque curve with predictable engagement. Good for dirt, performance street and asphalt late models.
- POLY E- Used with iron or steel rotors. Very consistent driver feel through entire operating range. Excellent pad for dirt track use, also dual-purpose street and track rally, autocross and track day events.
- BP-10 - All new metallic type composite friction pad compound. It possesses the medium – to high – temperature range friction characteristics of a full metallic compound race pad. Features a medium to high torque.
- HPS - Used on iron or steel rotors. High friction/torque hot or cold. Gentle on rotors, low noise. Much improved over stock braking.
- HP PLUS - Used on Iron or steel rotors. Extremely high friction. Works well for dirt and autocross. Elevated temperature resistance.
- BLACK - Used on iron or steel rotors. Excellent stopping power and good fade resistance at low to medium temperatures. Very rotor friendly with long pad life. Good dirt track or mild asphalt use.
- MT4 - MT4 is a premier brake pad with excellent stopping characteristics. Rotor friendly and a low pad wear rate. Works well at higher temps and heavy braking.
- C1 - C1 was designed to meet the braking needs of medium to high temperature racing applications. It’s extremely rotor friendly and provides exceptional pad life and is widely used in dirt track racing.