Help is just a click away!
Click here to chat with a Speedway Team Member
💬
Online - Chat with us!
Chat
Products to Compare (max of 3)
X
Compare These Parts
Talk to the Experts. Call 800.979.0122, 7am-10pm, everyday.
Customer Service
Since 1952
in
in
Talk to the Experts. Call 800.979.0122
Shop By
Support
Account
Street Race Truck More... The Toolbox

The Day We Got Our Hands Dirty

10/26/2017

I’m so glad that I get to write today’s post. Of all the parts on a hot rod, this is the area in which I feel the most competent. And by most competent, I mean I didn’t walk into today’s build thinking, “Let’s see how this goes.” The first thing we did was reattach the front shocks to the upper shock mounts. This took a little convincing on the passenger side.

This is what frustration looks like.

Next we wanted to dress up the brake calipers with black paint. These are just regular Speedway metric brake calipers, easy on the budget, but not terribly easy on the eyes with IMCA and the part number cast into the piece. We will have front fenders to hide these bad boys, but they still needed some paint applied. #bucketbetty and #tinyt removed the long allen head bolts from the front brake calipers, which allowed them to slide the caliper and brake pads from the rotors. Then they were able to remove the flat plate steering arm and another bracket from the setup. Next, the brake rotor was ready to be removed – it was held in place by a castle nut and cotter pin. A special washer with a tooth-groove and two bearings surround the brake rotor. These bearings still needed to be packed with grease, so we set them aside for later.

This is celebration. Not the pre-shot before chucking it across the room. (We hear throwing stuff comes later.)
After weeks of lefty loosey, we’re having a hard time adjusting to righty tighty.

We were left with the lone spindles, which also needed to be painted. We decided to spray them in place, so #pretTyinpink masked the axle and covered the frontend assembly and frame to protect them from overspray. We removed the grease zerks from the spindles so there would be one less thing for her to mask. She also masked parts of the calipers with painters tape.

“I love tape.” – #PretTyInPink

#cuteasabucket and I degreased the calipers and spindles with a spray degreaser to ready the metal surface for paint. While we chose to powder coat the rear end and fender brackets, items that get knocked around a little like control arms, brake calipers and spindles can simply be spray painted too. We chose Rustoleum’s appliance paint because it’s somewhat heat resistant and dries hard, like an epoxy or enamel. #Cuteasabucket painted the calipers while #bucketbetty and I sprayed the spindles in place. Several light coats are better than one thick, sloppy coat.

So. Much. Better.

Trying to escape the fumes from the degreaser and spray paint (it was a rainy day so we painted inside – sorry maintenance!) we decided to pack the bearings in the next space over.

I’m always up for getting my hands dirty (and #pretTyinPink, #cuteasabucket, and #tinyT’s hands too.) The new grease is bright red and in our case we had new bearings so we didn’t need to worry about forcing out the old grease, which would have been a dark grey.

Tech tip: With a blob of grease in your palm, press the lower edge of the bearing cone into the grease and pull it towards you. Grease should have been forced into the lower part of the bearing (in between the rollers and cage, which are held together by inner and outer rings). As you keep pressing the bearing into the grease and pulling it towards you, slightly rotate it. Eventually, you’ll have forced grease evenly inside the entire structure and you’ll see it protruding from the top of the cone. If you’ve taken the proper of amount of grease, your hand should be fairly clean, with most the grease now inside the bearing.

Speedway sells a handy little tool called a bearing grease packer (910-89635) but we only had four bearings to pack. Plus, who would miss the chance to see #pretTyinpink get her hands greasy?

Pros.
Sorry IMCA, we love you, but not on our hot rod!

And what’s a car project without a little indecision? Later in the day, we decided to go ahead and grind off the cast markings on our calipers. This included losing the part number which held –L or –R, valuable info in knowing which caliper went on which side of the vehicle. We stamped an L and an R on the calipers to keep them straight. Then we made #cuteasabucket paint them again.

What a week.

Products Featured in this Article

Related Articles

The Day We Partied
by Betsy Grindlay - Posted in Tech
10/27/2017
The thank yous and reflections
The Day we put the Finishing Touches on Her
by Alanna Crawford - Posted in Tech
10/27/2017
We are finally ready for the interior kit, right?!
The Day We Added a Little Pizazz
by Betsy Grindlay - Posted in Tech
10/27/2017
Adding the Fenders
The Day We Timed, Tuned, and Tortured our Friends
by Betsy Grindlay - Posted in Tech
10/26/2017
The engine is a really important part of our T-Bucket so we asked a few friends to help us break-in our new 383 Chevy Stroker Blue Print Crate engine. As we’ve found with a lot of the guys that work around here, they were very happy to help!
The Day We Heard Her Purr
by Alanna Crawford - Posted in Tech
10/26/2017
Our main goal for the day was to get the engine started
The Day We Did A Little of Everything
by Betsy Grindlay - Posted in Tech
10/26/2017
Crunch time. Day at the Hay is fast approaching
The Day We Had Some Very Special Guests
by Alanna Crawford - Posted in Tech
10/26/2017
Interiors with extra special guests
The Day We Heard a Clunk
by Bri Steward - Posted in Tech
10/26/2017
Preparing our new crate engine to turnover came with unexpected drama
The Day We Put the Engine in
by Katie Bennett - Posted in Tech
10/26/2017
Getting the power plant in place
Suggestions
Error
X
Note
X
Ok