Camshaft Timing Tips
The crankshaft sprocket features three keyways to allow you to advance or retard your camshaft with using offset keys or bushings. Follow the instructions for your engine. CAUTION: You must recheck your piston to valve clearance after advancing or retarding you camshaft timing.
EXAMPLE: To advance the camshaft, you install the crankshaft sprocket using the keyway marked A. Then you align the A mark on the outer edge of the sprocket with the dot marked on the camshaft sprocket, mark to mark. You must use the corresponding marks on the crankshaft sprocket for proper installation.
- Intake valve opens sooner
- Increases low-end torque range
- Intake valve to piston clearance decreases
- Exhaust valve to piston clearance Increases
- Intake valve opens later
- Increases high-end torque range
- Intake valve to piston clearance increases
- Exhaust valve to piston clearance decreases