Primary 9 Super 7® 3-Bolt 2-Barrel Carburetor, Chrome Finish
Universal Fit, 2-Barrel Carburetor Barrels, Gasoline Fuel Type, Manual Choke Type, 184 CFM CFM
- These 9 Super 7® carburetors are built with 100% all new parts to ensure hassle free performance
- Base assembly is aluminum instead of the original cast iron material to allow for cooler fuel temps and better fuel efficiency
- The original troublesome needle and seat has been replaced by a Grose-style fuel inlet valve to better cope with higher fuel pressures and improved high speed running
- A modern nitrophyl float and neoprene gaskets are used to accommodate modern fuels
- The choke assembly, accelerator pump, and jets have all been faithfully retained and accept standard Stromberg parts
Speedway Motors now offers a reproduction version of one of the most popular 2 barrel carburetors ever used, the original Stromberg 97! Original equipment on 30s and 40s cars and trucks, the Stromberg 97 has long been favored by Flathead builders, hot rodders and racers who realized the performance qualities of this timeless fuel supplier.
Speedway Motors has incorporated all of the improvements shown above while maintaining the carburetors original look. Features such as the choke assembly, accelerator pump, main jets and cosmetics have all been faithfully retained. Additionally, each carburetor is individually flow tested and inspected for leaks. Perfection is the result!
Aesthetically, the 9 Super 7® is nearly identical to the stock unit, minus the large 97 logo that appeared on the side and the patent numbers found on the float bowl area. Upgraded internal parts include; the float, needle, and seat. Jetting and power valve settings remain as they were for the original 97 carbs as well as the cfm and vacuum specs.
The other similarity that the 9 Super 7® shares with the original 97 is the setup and tuning necessary to yield a well-running machine. While perhaps not as simple as bolting on a single four-barrel, the 9 Super 7® makes setting up a multiple carburetor induction system easier than when Strombergs were available new. All thats required is an intake, a linkage system, a Uni-Syn syncing tool, and a little patience. Be sure to include the Secondary 9 Super 7® when installing multi-carb setups. Our 3 Carb kits come with one primary carburetor and two secondary carburetors while the 2 Carb kits are both primary carbs. See our Multiple Carburetor Tech Tip for more information on using the 9 Super 7® in a 2x2 or 3x2 carb set-up.
On the primary 9 Super 7® carb the throttle shaft extends from carb body .983" and has the hole on the end to pin the linkage. There is a brass sleeve that the throttle shaft rotates in that extends from the carb body .400 and this leaves the useable throttle shaft length of .583. There is sufficient room for progressive linkage and the manual throttle linkage that rotates over the sleeve.
Note: Not recommended for use with Ethanol fuels.
- All-new tooling for crisp, flawless castings
- New aluminum base assembly allows for cooler fuel temps and better fuel efficiency as compared to the original cast iron design
- Stainless steel screws and hardware
- Choke assembly, accelerator pump, and jets have all been faithfully retained and accept standard Stromberg parts
- Features original Stromberg 0.97" venturi diameter
- Modern Nitrophyl float and Neoprene gaskets
- Original troublesome needle and seat replaced by a Grose-style fuel inlet valve to better cope with higher fuel pressures and improved high speed running
- Will not stick or dribble like the old Viton-tipped needle and seat setups
- Comes with a No. 65 power valve and 0.045" main jets, identical to the stock 97
- Extended brass throttle shaft to simplify multi-carb linkage
- Features .045" main metering jets and a number 65 power valve, which is the same as a stock 97 carb.
- Replacement jet access plug gasket use # 91011542, replacement needle & seat gasket use # 91011543.
- Includes base gasket.
- The 9 Super 7® will operate suitably with fuel pressures ranging from 1-1/2 psi to 4 psi, with a desired setting of 2-1/2 psi to 3 psi. Fuel pressure from 4 psi to 7 psi will cause the carburetor to run excessively rich and may cause flooding. Flooding or leaks caused by excessive fuel pressure do not indicate a faulty carburetor. A fuel regulator such as # 560-58500 must be utilized in order to keep proper fuel pressure at the 1-1/2 to 4 psi range.
- There are no provisions for a vacuum advance line. Ford & Mercury engines 1949-1953 using stock distributors will need an alternative place to connect the vacuum line.
- Our independent tests produced these flow numbers:
- 3" of Vacuum - 60 CFM
- 10" of Vacuum - 110 CFM
- 15" of Vacuum - 136 1/2 CFM
- 28" of Vacuum - 184 CFM
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Q & A
Tim talks about his favorite intake manifold, the Might Edelbrock X1.
Tim talks about the vintage carburetor options we have available.
Tim talks about the Offenhauser 4 x 2 Pacesetter intake.