Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 54 In. Width
Universal Fit, Rear Position, Semi-Floating Axle Type, 54" Overall Width, 9 Inch Ring Gear Size
- Made in the USA housing with 100% new fabricated steel center section and 3" axle tubes to provide a strong foundation to build from
- Performance 31 spline axles feature both 5 x 4 1/2" and 4 3/4" bolt circle to accommodate the most popular wheels
- The centered pumpkin w/ 1" offset pinion yoke makes this housing easy to fabricate a triangulated 4 link suspension
- The big bearing Ford new style (Torino) housing flange accommodates a variety of disc or drum brake kits
- This complete kit includes the housing, axles, wheel studs, axle T bolts, 3rd member studs, and a gasket to simplify installation
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
Looking for a budget-friendly, rock-solid foundation for your custom rear suspension? Look no further. Our fabricated steel Ford 9 inch axle housings feature all-new, USA-made components for maximum durability. It’s an evolution of the rugged and reliable 9 inch Ford platform.
Designed with the Builder in Mind
This housing is pumpkin-centered with uniform-length axle tubes, side-to-side. So mounting suspension brackets, especially on triangulated 3-link and 4-link systems, is much easier. Unlike factory stamped housings, these fabricated plate-steel center sections provide a wide, flat surface for easy bracket attachment. Note that the pumpkin-centered design will offset the pinion yoke about 1" to the passenger side.
Axle tubes are 3” O.D. with a 3/16” wall thickness. Heavy-wall tubes, along with a larger center section, significantly reduce distortion during welding of rear-link brackets or spring pads. Billet steel “New Big Ford” (Torino) style bearing ends are fixture-welded (3.150” O.D. bearing, with 2.50” axle flange offset).
Improved Design for Greater Durability
In addition to the heavy-duty bearing ends, the axle tubes are supported with bracing inside the large center housing. This reduces flex in the rear end housing, which is something you won’t find on stamped factory 9 inch housings. Plus, gears stay well-lubed and run cooler thanks to a large-capacity fabricated center (holds more gear oil than stamped housings). Axle is vented on the driver’s side.
Yet, with improved durability, our fabricated axle housing is on average 2 pounds lighter than stock style housings of the same size! Add your choice of axle shafts and third member (sold separately), and you are ready to roll. Equip your race car, hot rod or 4X4 with Ford 9 inch parts from Speedway Motors to ensure there are no weak links in your driveline combination.
Total wheel-to-wheel mounting surface width is 54" (from hub-to-hub). The pumpkin is centered in the housing, which puts the pinion 1" offset from center, requiring different length axle shafts. For this 54" housing you will need one 27-5/8" long axle and one 25-1/4" long axle. This housing includes (8) T-bolts for the axle bearing retainer plates and (10) studs for the third member.
Forged Steel Axles
Our improved axle housings deserve equally strong axles to drive your street machine. Two custom cut Currie axles made of heat-treated 1541 forged alloy steel have the strength to handle the horsepower. Axles are 31-spline, , axle bearings, axle seals, and bearing retainers. Flanges are dual-drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" Ford/Mopar and 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt patterns, and include two sizes of wheel studs (1/2"-20 Ford/Mopar and 7/16"-20 GM).
- Made in the USA fabricated steel center section
- 3" O.D. axle tubes with 3/16" wall thickness
- Axle tubes are internally reinforced for additional strength, less flex
- Billet steel "New Big Ford" (Torino) style bearing ends
- Forged 1541 Steel axle, dual drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" Ford/Mopar and 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt patterns.
- Accepts brake kits for 2.50" axle shaft flange offset (from housing flange)
- Housing measures 49" from flange-to-flange
- Assembled rearend measures 54" from hub-to-hub (axle flange face-to-face)
- Axles are 25-1/4” & 27-5/8” in length
- Improved housing design weighs approximately 2 lbs less than stock-style fabricated housings
- Centered pumpkin w/ 1" offset pinion yoke for easy suspension mock-up
- Greater-than-stock capacity center section holds more gear oil and runs cooler
- Requires different length axle shafts, left/right
- Includes vent on driver side axle tube
- Includes studs for 3rd member and 3/8” T-bolts for bearing retainer plates
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
What's In The Kit
Currie CE-98129-27625 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 27-5/8 InchPart # 91046009Qty x 1
Currie CE-98126-25250 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 25-1/4 InchPart # 91046008Qty x 1
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing, 54 Inch WidthPart # 91046254Qty x 1
9 Inch Ford Rearend Axle Housing 3rd Member Pumpkin GasketPart # 9192300Qty x 1
Q & A
Check out our 6th episode of the 410 Sprint Car Build series. Last time we assembled the rear axle and now we are installing it!
Today on our 410 sprint car, the guys are assembling the front axle. The process can be a bit messy, but the finished product is so worth it!
Pat talks about our 67-72 pickup rear end housing and some of the options we have for it.
This article demonstrates how to install a complete Winters quick change kit with additional parts including birdcages, brackets, and calipers for a modified race car.
When it comes to a traditional style build on an early hot rod it just has to be rolling on a solid front axle of some sort. In this buyer's guide we take you through I-beam and round tube solid axles, spindle choices, radius rod needs, and more.