MSD 85555 Chevy Black V8 Pro-Billet Distributor
Chevy Small Block V8, Chevy Big Block V8, External Ignition Box Required, HEI / Male Cap Type
This is our most popular performance distributor! Must be used with an MSD 6, 7 or 8-series ignition. Now in Black!
The housing is machined from a billet of 6061-T6 aluminum on a state-of-the-art CNC machine producing exact tolerances. For high rpm stability, a .500” steel shaft is supported by a sealed ball bearing and a long sintered bushing. This shaft also receives a QPQ coating for friction reduction and resistance to corrosion. A precision machined reluctor is attached to the shaft which triggers the magnetic pick-up mounted in the housing. This high output magnetic pick-up is the most accurate way to trigger your ignition. Plus, with no moving parts to wear or adjust, the pick-up is maintenancefree! Just above the pick-up is MSD’s adjustable mechanical advance assembly. Different springs and stop bushings are supplied so you can tune an advance curve to match your application. Must be used with an MSD 6, 7 or 8-series ignition.
- CNC machined billet aluminum housing and billet aluminum base
- Will not accept a vacuum advance canister
- Must be used with an MSD Ignition Control
- Supplied with an HEI style distributor cap and rotor (accepts Cap-A-Dapts)
- O-ring seals can be added to modified blocks to improve oil pressure control
- Special oil tract improves lubrication to the distributor and cam gear
- Nylon pads ensure smooth operation of the advance weights
- Advance weight pins are staked and tig welded to the plate
- Mechanical advance assembly can be locked out for crank trigger systems
- Advance plate and weights are fine blanked from chrome moly steel and QPQ coated for friction reduction
- Polished steel shaft is QPQ coated and guided by a sealed ball bearing and extra long sintered bushing
- Maintenance-free magnetic pickup and precision reluctor create stable trigger signals throughout the rpm range
- Easy-to-adjust mechanical advance with supplied springs and stop bushings
- No CARB Exemption Order Number
This part is legal for use on Emissions Controlled Vehicles when used in accordance with the manufacturers application guide because it has a California Air Resources Board Executive Order number or is a direct or consolidated replacement part.
The following vehicles are considered Emissions Controlled Vehicles:
- 1966 and newer U.S. manufactured California Certified vehicles
- 1968 and newer U.S. manufactured Federally Certified vehicles
- 1968 and newer Foreign manufactured vehicle
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
More Like This
MSD 85703 Small Block Chevy V8 Pro-Billet Distributor
MSD 85783 Black Pro-Billet Distributor, 351W
MSD 83653 Black Pro-Billet Chevy HEI Distributor
MSD 85501 Chevy V8 Pro-Billet Distributor, Locked-Out Timing
MSD 8570 Chevy Pro-Billet Small Diameter V8 Distributor
MSD 85505 Black Chevy V8 Pro-Billet Distributor
MSD 85773 Black Pro-Billet Distributor, 351C-460 Ford
MSD 83613 Black Chevy V8 Pro-Billet Distributor
MSD 85551 Chevy Billet Distributor
MSD 84891 Chevy Flat Top Pro-Billet Distributor
Q & A
Looking for an easy performance upgrade to your ignition system? MSD's line of Ignition Control Boxes offer extreme improvements to drivability and high rpm applications. Here's a look at the differences between the 6 series line-up.
In this episode, Project Chevelle takes a big step in its muscle car transformation. It's out with the little old 307 and to the dyno with our new 383 from BluePrint Engines!
Pat talks about our red solid core spark plug wire and rajah ends.
Learn about the wiring of GM HEI Ignition Distributors with our diagrams and guide. Ensure you are getting the best performance out of your ignition system.
Speedway Tech Zach discusses the Pertronix Ignitor III conversion in his '55 Chevy.
One of the most important parts of your racing operation is the engine. This article gives a detailed overview on how to maintain your engine to get the most out of it for as long as possible. Also learn some tips to prolong the life of your engine.
Learn how to set initial timing on the Chevy 350 SBC and the Ford 302. Our guide covers step by step instructions so you can set timing on your engine.