MSD 85551 Chevy Billet Distributor
Chevy Small Block V8, Chevy Big Block V8, External Ignition Box Required, HEI / Male Cap Type
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
You can't go wrong with the best selling MSD Billet Distributor! The housing is machined from a billet of 6061-T6 aluminum on a state-of-the-art CNC machine producing exact tolerances. For high rpm stability, a .500” steel shaft is supported by a sealed ball bearing and a long sintered bushing. This shaft also receives a QPQ coating for friction reduction and resistance to corrosion. A precision machined reluctor is attached to the shaft which triggers the magnetic pick-up mounted in the housing. This high output magnetic pick-up is the most accurate way to trigger your ignition. Plus, with no moving parts to wear or adjust, the pick-up is maintenance free! Just above the pick-up is MSD’s adjustable mechanical advance assembly. Different springs and stop bushings are supplied so you can tune an advance curve to match your application.
Fits Small Block or Big Block Chevy V8.
- Must be used with a CD Ignition Control (MSD 6, 7, 8 or 10 Series).
- Will not accept a vacuum advance canister.
- CNC machined billet aluminum housing and billet aluminum base
- Easy-to-adjust mechanical advance with supplied springs and stop bushings
- Maintenance-free magnetic pickup and precision reluctor create stable trigger signals throughout the RPM range
- Polished steel shaft is QPQ coated and guided by a sealed ball bearing and extra long sintered bushing
- Advance plate and weights are fine blanked from Chromoly steel and QPQ coated for friction reduction
- Mechanical advance assembly can be locked out for crank trigger systems
- Advance weight pins are staked and tig welded to the plate
- Nylon pads ensure smooth operation of the advance weights
- Special oil tract improves lubrication to the distributor and cam gear
- O-ring seals can be added to modified blocks to improve oil pressure control
- Supplied with an HEI style distributor cap and rotor (accepts MSD Cap-A-Dapts)
- Cap has HEI-style terminals
- Iron distributor gear
More Like This
MSD 85561 Chevy Billet Distributor with Slip Collar
MSD 85501 Chevy V8 Pro-Billet Distributor, Locked-Out Timing
MSD 85705 Chevy Pro-Billet Distributor, Late Model/Modified
MSD 8365 Pro-Billet Chevy HEI Distributor
MSD 8356 Small Block Chevy Dual Pickup Distributor
MSD 8362 Street Fire Chevy V8 GM HEI Distributor
MSD 8394 Chevy Digital E-Curve Distributor
MSD 8360 Chevy V8 with Internal Module Distributor
MSD 8361 Billet Chevy Distributor with Vacuum Advance
MSD 84697 Chevy V8 Crank Trigger Distributor
Q & A
In this episode, Project Chevelle takes a big step in its muscle car transformation. It's out with the little old 307 and to the dyno with our new 383 from BluePrint Engines!
Looking for an easy performance upgrade to your ignition system? MSD's line of Ignition Control Boxes offer extreme improvements to drivability and high rpm applications. Here's a look at the differences between the 6 series line-up.
Speedway Motors has some great tips on how to get the best performance out of your ignition system. Let's take a look at the the GM HEI style distributor, possibly one of the most affordable performance distributors today.