G-Comp 1970-81 Camaro/Firebird Torque Arm Rear Suspension Kit
Solid Axle Rear Suspension Type, Torque Arm Trailing Arm Style, Coilover Spring Type, Bolt-On
What else have you come to expect from the Speedway Motors G-Comp product line than a 100% bolt-on, economical, track-tested suspension for your 70-81 Camaro? G-Comp by Speedway has erased the line between street classics and track-only race cars. The G-Comp torque arm rear suspension system replaces your factory leaf spring suspension with a 2" lower coilover torque arm style suspension for improved ride and rear axle stability, numerous ride height adjustments, and a heavy-duty suspension to handle all of your spirited driving. This suspension system bolts to factory locations and avoids cutting into your F-Body floor pans. Track tested and engineered for greatness, and precision-built in Lincoln, Nebraska.
From the factory, your stock 2nd Generation Camaro rear suspension is lacking. Second generation F-body cars are notorious for a poor weight bias - with 58% front weight and 42% rear - you can see just how difficult it can be to overcome this weight unbalance and make one of these cars handle through modern spirited street driving or track duty. A heavy front nose creates a handful of a car when trying to power through corners because of the reduced weight over the rear axle, making it harder to control under power and keep both tires planted to the ground when needed. Our clean-sheet torque arm rear suspension design removes all of these shortcomings from the equation. The 52" torque arm moves the main rear axle pivot point forward - increasing the dynamic load on the rear tires, greatly improving traction and rear axle stability. This makes for a very stout suspension design for high horsepower cars, autocross, and road course cars, and dedicated drag race builds.
Our G-comp suspension checks all the boxes, with additional key benefits such as an adjustable panhard bar controlling lateral rear axle movement and a heavy-duty adjustable torsion style sway bar allowing you to dial in the exact rear suspension setup you need. The clean-sheet design allows for endless adjustability - ride height, roll center, instant center, pinion angle, and wheelbase are all adjustable for your suspension tuning needs
- 100% bolt-in - no cutting of the vehicle to install
- Replaces factory leaf springs with coil-over shocks within a compact design
- Designed ride height is 2" lower than stock, easily adjustable with coil overs
- Fit up to 10" wide wheel and 305/35/19 tires without cutting into body/wheel tub of your F-body
- Lower shock mount has two positions to accommodate multiple length shocks
- Adjustable Panhard bar to control lateral movement and roll center height
- 1-1/4” x .125” wall DOM trailing arms with rebuildable and greaseable 2” Johnny Joints®
- Fabricated steel 9" Ford Grand National (floater style) rear end housing
- 60” overall rear end width, hub face to hub face (unique to 2nd generation Camaro)
- Includes sub-frame connectors that bolt directly to factory front subframe mounts
- All hardware included
- Adjustable for near-endless setup variations:
- Ride height
- Roll center by moving the Panhard bar in one of three positions on each end for a 1.75” adjustment at desired ride height
- Instant center using one of three lower arm positions for a 4” total movement
- Pinion angle with serrated hardware (4 degrees of total adjustment)
- Sway bar rate – 11 spring rates to choose from with 650 supplied
- Alignment capability for positive tracking and tire wear
- Designed to complement the G-Comp front end kit and handle the highest level of load for street, road course, autocross, and Sport/Pro touring applications
- Rear crossmember is made from .120" wall steel tube and is attached to inner frame rails and body
- Front Cross Member is .109” wall and clearance for any transmission
- Chassis brace reduces chassis flex and provides a rigid mount for the trailing arms
- Kit works with both stock wheel wells and mini-tubs
- Kit allows room for both OEM fuel tanks or custom fuel cells
- Rear-end housing has sway bar, trailing arm, and torque arm mounts installed
- Speedway Grand National 5 x 4-3/4 rear hubs with all bearings, seals and hardware included
- Kit includes a 7/8" x 26” solid torsion bar style sway bar. 622875126 available in eleven rates from 650 to 900
- Sway bar connects to the rear end housing with 7-1/2" long aluminum arms
- All sway bar links and hardware is included
G-Comp rear suspension kits utilize a full floater Ford 9 Inch rear axle setup. Our floating rear axle design, using Grand national style hub and bearing assemblies is technology taken right from the NASCAR playbook - and for good reason. The Grand national hub is centered around a much larger, heavy-duty bearing that can handle the additional abuse that high-horsepower street and track cars deliver. The larger bearing surface also carries the torsional load placed on the wheel when cornering more efficiently than a traditional one-piece cast hub and axle design. In addition to a larger bearing carry the load, our aluminum Grand national hubs reduce rotating mass without sacrificing strength. The G Comp Torque Arm Rear Suspension allows you to run up to a 305/35/19 tire and a 10" wide wheel with a maximum of 6.5" backspacing without having to cut into the stock F-body body/wheel tubs.
Rear-axle housing includes caliper brackets that accept calipers with a 5.25" mounting spacing, such as the Wilwood Dynalite 8351206816. Floater rear hubs accept 12.19" x 0.81" brake rotors with an 8 x 7.00" bolt pattern, such as the Speedway Motors Pro-Lite 91031908. Combine this caliper and rotor combo with Wilwood Poly-D Brake Pads 8353991 for a complete rear brake setup. This brake combo is a great value for spirited street driving as well as entry-level autocross and road course competitions.
Add the same brake kit used on the Team Speedway G-Comp equipped race cars, here.
Shock length and spring rate will depend on how you set the car up (ride height, vehicle weight, ride stiffness, etc.).
Here's what we recommend as a starting point:
- Shocks - 5/8" Bolt, 5" Stroke
- 1061350SR5T Pro Touring Fixed Valve Coil-Over Shock
- Static Shock length 13-14"
- 1061350SR5T Pro Touring Fixed Valve Coil-Over Shock
- Springs - 2-5/8" ID Springs
- 10623B AFCO 2-5/8" Coil-Over Springs
- Spring Rates: 350lb for street driving, 500lb for competition
- 10623B AFCO 2-5/8" Coil-Over Springs
- Pictured with optional coil-overs and center section (available with a clutch-type differential or a gear-type differential). Center section and coil-overs are shown for illustration purposes only and are not included with the kit, but available separately.
- Double splined axles are not included but available separately. Axle lengths required will vary depending on type and brand of differential utilized.
- Exhaust routing is unique to each vehicle and will need to be determined by end-user. Compact design allows multiple options.
- Kit includes:
- Grand National 9" rear end housing
- Floater wheel hub components (hubs, flanges, bearings, seals, hardware)
- Rear cross member
- Subframe connectors and crossmember with hardware
- Trailing arms and brackets with hardware
- 52” torque arm with hardware
- Panhard bar with hardware
- 650 lb. x 26” Sway bar with arms, links, and hardware
- Shock mount hardware
- Drill guide and instruction sheet
- This item 91617081 is made to order. It will be shipped from our warehouse when it is produced.
More Like This
RideTech 11177150 Bolt-On 4-Link, 1970-1981 Camaro / Firebird
G-Comp 1970-81 Camaro/Firebird Truck Arm Rear Suspension Kit
G-Comp Unser Edition 1970-81 Camaro Truck Arm Rear Suspension Kit
Deluxe Coil-Over Rear Suspension Kit, Chrome
Deluxe Coil-Over Rear Suspension Kit, Plain Finish
Speedway Motors Ladder Bar Rear Suspension Kit, 38 Inch
Speedway Motors Ladder Bar Rear Suspension Kit, 42 Inch
Speedway Motors Ladder Bar Rear Suspension Kit, 54 Inch
RideTech 11006799 Hd Parallel Weld-In 4 Link, 3/4/1 Ton Trucks
RideTech 11004699 Rear CoolRide Universal Air Spring/Shock Mount
Q & A
Speedway Motors and Classic Trucks teamed up to build a 1952 Chevy Truck in celebration of Speedway Motors’ 65th Anniversary. Jason and Tom take a few minutes to talk about the rear suspension the team used on the truck.
Learn the proper method of blocking a race car in this step-by-step procedure to follow when performing this task. Learn why consistency is important and a few "not-to-do's".
Learn about Speedway Motor's Fully Assembled Rear Control Arm Kit and how it saves time and hassle. In this video, Joe and Kyle explain the benefits of this new product.
Easy to follow instructions to install a G-Comp rear suspension kit.
Do you need a Panhard Bar on your front suspension? Find out whether its recommended to have one on your four-bar or cross steering system.
Whether you are looking to change the look of your truck, get rid of your tired rusty springs, or upgrade the ride quality of your truck, Speedway Motors has you covered with stock height and lowered spring options.
Now that the control arms have been replaced on Jeff's 1967 Chevelle, the next step is to prep the control arms for use with coil-overs. See how to apply shock absorber mounts and the steps it takes to complete this conversion.