Chevy SBC Assembled Aluminum Camel Double Hump 461 Cylinder Head
Chevy Small Block V8, Assembled Cylinder Head Style, Aluminum, Natural
- Visually similar to the 461 heads (GM # 3782461) which first appeared on the 1961 Corvette “fuelie”
- No accessory bolt holes, just like the original heads
- Heads are sold EACH
- Aluminum heads shave 40 lbs. off the nose of your car vs. iron heads
- Improved port/chamber shape for better performance and efficiency
- Standard port location for use with most intake and exhaust manifolds
- 180cc intake port volume (factory 461 casting was 160cc)
- 62cc exhaust port volume
- 64cc fast-burn combustion chambers deliver big power gains vs. 461 castings
- 2.02” intake/1.60” exhaust valves (most 461 castings were 1.94/1.50)
- 3-angle valve job promotes better flow, especially at low-to-mid lifts
- Swirl polished & undercut stainless steel valves
- Intake flows 232 CFM @ .500” lift
- Exhaust flows 173 CFM @ .500” lift
- Accepts both perimeter and center bolt valve covers
- Single 1.46” diameter valve springs w/ inner damper
- Suitable for flat tappet camshafts up to .550” lift
- 7 degree lightweight chromoly retainers and keepers
- Hardened steel spring cups for durability
- High nickel valve seats provide optimum heat transfer and wear characteristics
- Manganese bronze valve guides reduce friction
- Viton positive valve seals are a modern upgrade from stock 461 castings
- 2-piece hardened steel pushrod guide plates for use with hardened pushrods
- 3/8” chromoly screw-in rocker arm studs included
- Blocked exhaust heat riser manifold crossover port
- 3/8” NPT coolant temperature probe port
- Designed for 1962-86 small block engines (302/327/350)
Step back in time with our modern reproduction of the iconic Chevy 461 double hump cylinder heads, now cast in lightweight aluminum! Also known as "fuelie" heads, the 3782461 castings were used on many legendary Chevrolets from 1961-1967. Our all-new cylinder head casting is a modern take with all the old-school looks you desire out of a reproduction camel hump head. Features like fast-burn combustion chambers, high-velocity ports, large diameter valve springs, and positive stop valve seals bring the vaunted camel hump heads into the 21st Century.
Save yourself the hassles of hunting down original GM 3782461, 3782461X or 3890462 castings, only to find out they can't be saved. By now, most original 461 heads have had multiple valve jobs and milled decks, which means buying a set is a gamble. Plus, when considering all the costs involved in machining them to accept modern valvetrain components, our all-new castings are a very cost-effective alternative.
GM produced many versions of the Chevy camel back heads, however these are visual copies of the very first double hump heads, often referred to as "fuelies" because of their use on Rochester Ram-Jet equipped Corvettes. As such, these heads will perfectly complement your nostalgic hot rod build or restomod muscle car, all the way down to the textured as-cast finish and cast parting line across the exhaust port side, just like the original heads. Plus, the raised valve cover rail means that full roller rocker arms will fit underneath original Corvette valve covers ('59-up covers). With a coat of Chevy Orange paint, you'll have everyone convinced you're running an original set of 461 double hump heads.
Take note that these heads have no accessory bolt holes for the front drive (just like original 461s). There are a couple options to mount your alternator/generator: 1) you can rely on accessory mounts off the block or water pump, or 2) pair these heads with our "rams horn" exhaust manifolds 93000328. These 2-1/2" outlet manifolds feature built-in mounts for your generator/alternator and are correct for '62-'63 Corvettes. To utilize this method, you will also need both 91603050 and 91067850 to mount the generator/alternator. When going this route, you may also be able to use a lower power steering pump bracket such as 91332902 or 91033727, depending on your pump and frame/steering box clearance.
The original 3782461 castings delivered well over 1.1 hp/ci on many legendary Chevy models throughout the early ‘60s, which was a significant engineering achievement for the time. Highlights include the '61 Corvette 283/315hp and '62 Corvette 327/360hp (both with Rochester fuel injection and "Duntov" camshaft), the '63 Chevy 327/340hp, the '64 Chevy 327/365hp L76 and 327/375hp L84 (both with the "30-30" camshaft), and the'65 Chevy 327/350hp L79. With the undercover features included in these heads, you can expect even more performance out of your 283/302/327/350/383 SBC.
These fully assembled heads are ready to run and are a great match to flat tappet camshafts. They're compatible with solid (mechanical) flat tappet or hydraulic flat tappet cams with up to .550” lift. The valve springs (single with flat wire inner damper) have a seat pressure of 120 lbs. Valves are +.100" long and must be used in conjunction with aftermarket aluminum roller rocker arms to clear valve springs used which are 1.46" diameter. The valve springs have 120 lbs. @ 1.800" installed height and 290 lbs. of open pressure at 1.20” (coil bind is at 1.160”). Pair with a vintage Duntov or 30-30 grind (or aftermarket equivalent) for a true nostalgic ‘60s experience.
- Stock stamped steel rocker arms will not clear 1.437” diameter valve springs on these heads. Must use aftermarket roller tip or full roller rocker arms if using large diameter springs. We recommend 57533501or 57523501. Heads feature valve cover rails that are raised 3/8” so you can use roller rockers with original '59-up Corvette valve covers (note - some factory A/C brackets may have interference issues). Rocker arm studs should be torqued to 45 ft.-lbs.
- Intake port measures 2-1/16” x 1-1/8” which works with Fel-Pro 1205 style gaskets. Exhaust ports are square and work with Fel-Pro 1404 style gaskets.
- Champion 271RC12YC style spark plugs (14mm thread, 5/8" hex, flat gasket seat, .750" reach) are what we recommend as a starting point. This is a straight plug head (not angled plug). Ignition timing should be between 35 to 38 degrees total. Set the timing with the vacuum advance hose disconnected and rev the engine up until the mechanical advance is fully in, then set it at 35 degrees to start with. You can experiment with more timing later to see if the engine runs better at closer to 38 degrees, but we don't recommend exceeding 38 degrees on most applications.
- Valve guides are machined for modern positive stop stem seals. Measures .540” OD where the seal is pressed on.
- Heads are not drilled for steam holes that are required on SBC 400 engines.
- Recommend head gasket for 4” bore engines is the Fel-Pro 1003 style gasket.
- Head bolts such as 50542171 and washers 50542102 are recommended. Torque to 50-65-80 ft.-lbs., with 75 ft.lbs. torque on the bottom. Use Permatex 80631 style sealant on the threads.
- If wanting to run power steering, you would need to utilize the Corvette-style "Ram Horn" Exhaust Manifolds 9300328, along with both 91603050 and 91067850 to mount the generator/alternator up on the driver's side. Then you might be able to use a lower power steering pump bracket such as 91332902 or 91033727, depending on your pump and frame/steering box clearance, to mount the P/S pump low on the driver's side.
- If running domed /pop up piston you will need to check for clearance.
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Q & A
Step back in time with our modern reproduction of the iconic Chevy 461 double hump cylinder heads, now cast in lightweight aluminum! In this video, Joe and Wyatt discuss the features that bring the vaunted camel hump heads into the 21st Century.
Tim talks about the new Edelbrock powder coated cylinder heads and provides a little history on Federal Mogul heads.
Tim shows off our aluminum cylinder heads for 348-409 Chevys.
Speedway Motors displayed several new parts at the 2019 SEMA Show in Las Vegas. Among the new products is the new Deluxe LS Fuel Filter/Regulator which was a top 3 new product in the Street Rod/Custom Car product category.
Speedway Motors announced today a list of new products that will be debuted Nov. 2-6 during SEMA360.
Learn how to identfy motors for your LS Swap. In this guide we cover generation 4 small block engines and some of the cheaper options for more power.
Learn how to identify Chevy cylinder heads on your early cast iron, late model aluminum, or aftermarket and Vortec Chevy Small Block (SBC) with our Chevy cylinder head identification guide. Our images cover Chevrolet small blocks since 1955.