Tilton 55-2004 Twin Disc Clutch Kit, Chevy LS, T56, Cerametallic
Since 1972, Tilton Engineering has been the leading supplier of small diameter racing clutches. Tilton racing clutches are world-renowned for their performance and reliability, winning championships in nearly every form of motorsport worldwide, including F1, NASCAR, IMSA, IndyCar, SCCA, Formula Drift and SCORE.
Tilton has now applied their nearly 50 years of experience in racing clutches to develop the ST-246 line of twin-disc clutch kits for the high-performance street market. Unlike many of the “performance clutches” on the market, ST-246 clutches were designed from the ground up as a true performance twin-disc clutch and not an OEM-type stamped steel pressure plate with a floater added. Featuring an aluminum clutch cover that shares technology from Tilton’s championship-winning line of OT- Series racing clutches, ST-246 clutches feature heavy-duty straps that attach the pressure plate and floater plate to minimize noise. ST-246 clutches are available with either sprung-hub organic discs for street applications or solid-hub cerametallic discs for street/strip applications.
All kits include a billet chromoly steel flywheel that features a precision register for the clutch to provide optimal balance of the clutch/ flywheel assembly.
All ST-246 kits, except for Camaro GEN5, Corvette C6 and 2011-2017 Mustang GT can be used with OEM release bearings. ST-246 clutch kits for Camaro GEN5, Corvette C6, and 2011-2017 Mustang GT applications include a Tilton 6000-Series hydraulic release bearing (height preset at Tilton) that is designed to connect directly to the OEM clutch line. Most importantly, Tilton ST-246 clutch kits offer all this technology at a price point that is very competitive to the other clutches on the market.
- Precision machined aluminum clutch cover for high-strength, stiffness, and better balance than OE-type stamped steel covers.
- High-mass main pressure plate and floater plate machined from the same proprietary materials as used by Tilton’s racing clutches provide high heat capacity and resist warpage. Heavy-duty straps attach plates to cover to minimize noise and provide clean clutch release.
- Cerametallic disc option, with solid center hub for higher strength, provides positive/precise engagement characteristics for streets/strip and holds 1250 lb-ft of torque.
- Chromoly steel flywheel provides high strength and long-term durability. Features a precision register to locate the clutch and provide optimal balance, as opposed to loose-fitting bolts & dowels used with stamped steel clutches.
Instruction Sheet (PDF)
Installation Diagram (PDF)
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
More Like This
Tilton 55-1004 Twin Disc Clutch Kit, Chevy LS, T56, Organic
Speedway LS Engine 4 Speed Bellhousing/Clutch Kit
Speedway 1986-Up Small Block Chevy Clutch Kit, 1 Piece Main Seal
Speedway 1955-85 Small Block Chevy Clutch Kit, 2 Piece Main Seal
Ram Clutches 900200 Street Stock Clutch Pre-86 GM 10.5 X 1-1/8-26
Ram Clutches 910300 Street Stock Clutch, 86-Up GM 10.5 X 1-1/8-10
Ram Clutches 910400 Street Stock Clutch, 86-Up GM 10.5 X 1-1/8-26
Ram Clutches 75-2100 LS 6 Bolt Clutch/Flywheel, 1-1/8-26, 168T
Ram Clutches 75-2230 Ford 8 Bolt Clutch/Flywheel, 1-23, 164T
Ram Clutches 80-2220 Ford Modular Clutch/Flywheel, 1-1/8-26, 164T
Q & A
Finally, Project Chevelle gets a real hot rod engine under its hood! And what about that flimsy old column shift three-speed? We've got that covered too.
Pat talks about our LS flexplate options.
Tim talks about why using a new pedal assembly may be better for your project than the original pedal assembly.
We finally get to drive Project Chevelle after the big engine swap, and it's pretty awesome. Rowing through the gears with our new Tremec 5-speed isn't bad either!
There are a few things to consider before you select a replacement flexplate for your small-block Chevy engine. Speedway has some useful tips to follow that will help speed up the process.
One of the most challenging things about swapping transmissions can be figuring out the clutch linkage. Speedway can show you how to install the upgraded hydraulic throwout bearing with ease.
Brinn Clutch Rebuild Instructions