Chevy V8 Mini Starter Kit, High Torque Gear Reduction, SBC, BBC
Many Engines, Automatic and Manual Transmission Type, Mini Starter Size, Inline Mount Type
- Complete kit includes 1.4kw compact starter with a quick-disconnect wiring harness and heat shield
- Billet aluminum mounting block has multiple bolt holes to fit both 153 and 168-tooth ring gears for SBC and BBC engines
- High torque motor with a gear reduction design cranks out a massive 180 ft. lbs of torque
- Spins engine over faster, with 50% more cranking torque and LESS amp draw than a stock starter
- Small size and clockable design allow more room for long tube headers and larger exhaust pipes
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
- Weighs only 11 pounds (8.5 pounds lighter than a stock starter)
- Allows more room for long tube headers and larger exhaust pipes
- Mounting bolts, shims, and electrical connector included
- Works with both 153- and 168-tooth ring gears
- Compatible with manual or automatic transmissions
- All steel gear construction handles high compression and big block engines
- Clockable design to provide maximum clearance
- Gear reduction design reduces current draw demands on electrical system
- Included heat shield protects starter from extreme engine compartment heat
- Starter quick-disconnect saves time and effort wiring your starter
- Fits SBC and BBC engines (full application guide below)
A Mini Starter with Maximum Punch
Your starter has the thankless job of turning over your engine no matter the circumstances. Whether it is hot or cold out, or your engine has lots of cubic inches or high compression, the starter in your muscle car or street rod has the tough task of spinning over your engine fast enough for the fuel and air mixture to be ignited by your ignition system. This takes roughly 400-500 rpms and if the starter cannot give you enough rpm you are not going anywhere. We all have heard that big block struggling to start at the end of the cruise night and if you don’t want to suffer the same embarrassing fate you need to upgrade your stock starter to a modern mini high-torque starter. The mini starter design uses the internal gear reduction to be able to provide higher rpm cranking no matter the operational conditions. Now you can crank that high-compression small block or big cube stroker big block without crossing your fingers when you twist your ignition key! Plus our heat shield in this kit offers extra protection for high temperature applications, such as racing headers, turbo kits, and more.
Ready to Handle Your Engine’s Cranking Needs
The benefits of utilizing a gear reduction starter are great. So much so that all the OE vehicle manufacturers have upgraded to similar high-performance starters beginning in the late 1990s. Chances are your daily driver uses just such a unit. They upgraded for the very same reasons you should—less weight, more room/access, and more starting power. Right off you can feel the weight difference. This Chevy high torque starter motor knocks nearly eight pounds off a large body stock-style starter. Remember being under a car and the starter getting heavier and heavier as you tried to hold it in place and start a mounting bolt? You will be thankful this gear reduction starter is easier to hold on to and weighs less! Cranking output is an amazing 180 ft/lb of torque thanks to the 1.4 kW motor with 3.7:1 gear reduction unit. The efficient mini starter motor combined with the gear reduction means your electrical system and battery does not have to work as hard to turn over your engine. The cast aluminum housing is strong, yet smaller and lighter than a traditional large body starter. We have designed this starter to fit most Chevy V-8 and 90-degree V-6 engines that use either a 153- or 168-tooth flywheel/flexplate. This includes small block V-8 engines 1958 and newer and Chevy big blocks from 1965 and up. It will work with staggered-mount blocks by simply drilling and tapping the block casting hole that is already there to convert to a straight-mount configuration. So no matter if you need a SBC mini starter or BBC mini starter, this high torque starter has you covered.
Directly Replaces Your Weak Stock Starter
Installing our mini starter could not be easier. The starter is designed to not only directly replace your original starter but includes new mounting bolts as well. The billet mounting face is drilled to accept 153- and 168-tooth mounting spacing in the perpendicular (straight) mounting location and can clock the mini starter body in one of three positions for clearance. If your block uses the staggered mounting bolt pattern, you will simply drill out and tap an existing hole in your block casting to mount the starter perpendicular to your flywheel/flexplate. Due to the high torque starter small block Chevy mounting design, we include not only mounting shims to allow ring gear to starter pinion drive gear backlash adjustments, but starter nose housing shims to provide for the proper pinion gear to ring gear face clearance as well. The included shims and fully illustrated instructions mean no matter your combination you can shim our mini starter for a perfect, bind-free fit.
Faster, Easier starting is Just a Click or Call Away
Once you get our SBC high torque starter in your hands you will wonder why you did not upgrade sooner! With a clockable body to help clear chassis and exhaust fitment issues, a small form factor, and less weight, our mini starters are everything you need to get your project started without busting your project’s budget, and our popular kit includes a bolt-on heat shield and starter wiring disconnect for to prolong your starter’s life and aid in installation.
- 1958 and newer small block Chevy V8 engines (283, 305, 307, 327, 350, and 400 cubic inch)
- Small block Chevy V8 stroker engines, such as the popular 383 cubic inch
- 1965 and newer big block Chevy V8 engines (396, 402, 427, 454 cubic inch)
- 1992 to 1997 Chevy V8 LT1 engines
- 1985 and newer 4.3L V6 engines
- 153 tooth and 168 tooth flywheel or flexplate
- Compatible with automatic and manual transmissions
Replacement parts available
Pinion gear 91067435
Drive assembly with pinion gear 91066311
910-67400 Instructions (PDF)
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
What's In The Kit
Quick Disconnect Harness for Mini StartersPart # 54574245Qty x 1
Chevy V8 Mini Starter, Compact, High Torque, SBC, BBC, 1.4 kWPart # 91067440Qty x 1
Plain Aluminum Chevy Compact Mini Starter Heat Shield/CoverPart # 91017481-RAWQty x 1
More Like This
Chevy V8 Mini Starter, Compact, High Torque, SBC, BBC, 1.4 kW
Chevy V8 Mini Starter, High Torque Gear Reduction, SBC BBC, 2 kW
Chevy V8 Chrome Mini Starter, Super High Torque, SBC, BBC, 2.0 kW
Chevy V8 Super Light Mini Starter, Gear Reduction, SBC, BBC, 1 kW
Chevy V8 Chrome Mini Starter, High Torque, SBC, BBC, 1.4 kW
Chevy Straight Bolt Chrome Starters
Speedway Chevy V8 Angled Bolt Chrome Starter, 168-Tooth
Stephenville Starter Chevy V8 Mini Starter 2.0 kW SBC & BBC
AFCO Gear Reduction Mini Starter
King Chrome 1955-86 Chevy Starter, 1.4 kW, 168-Tooth
Q & A
Pat talks about our red solid core spark plug wire and rajah ends.
Looking for an easy performance upgrade to your ignition system? MSD's line of Ignition Control Boxes offer extreme improvements to drivability and high rpm applications. Here's a look at the differences between the 6 series line-up.
Industry friends Street Rod Life sat down and started talking starters. Check out the attached article on what the discussion uncovered.
Jeff demonstrates how to install the front runner drive system by Vintage Air in his 1967 Chevelle project car all while maintaining a simple, factory fresh look.
Learn about the wiring of GM HEI Ignition Distributors with our diagrams and guide. Ensure you are getting the best performance out of your ignition system.
Check out our one wire alternator conversion guide. We cover GM 1 wire alternator wiring as well as Ford and Chevy. Learn about pulley ratio and charging too!
Brief review of the different types of Ford alternators and regulators available through Speedway Motors.