Fabricated 9 In Ford Rear Axle w/ Posi Traction 3rd Member, 54 In
Universal Fit, Rear Position, Semi-Floating Axle Type, 54" Overall Width, Differential Included
- A complete Ford 9 inch rear end assembly, built in-house from high-quality components
- Stronger, fabricated steel housing with forged 28 or 31-spline axles
- Precision assembled third member with nodular iron housing in your choice of gear ratios
- Clutch style positraction differential gives limited slip performance and quiet operation (no gears clicking!)
- Includes all necessary hardware and gaskets for a complete installation
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
Save the time and headache of choosing the right parts for your Ford 9 inch rear end assembly and let the experts choose a quality, hand-assembled, street-tough complete package for you at an unbeatable value.
Stronger, Fabricated Steel Axle Housing with Forged Axles
Designed for your restoration, upgrade or custom build we start with our USA-made, NEW fabricated steel axle housing. Our housing design is pumpkin-centered and improved with two points of support on the axle tubes to reduce tube flex, instead of support only on the single weld point of traditional stamped steel housings. A greater-than-stock capacity center section holds more gear oil and runs cooler. This housing includes (8) T-bolts for the axle bearing retainer plates and (10) studs for the third member. And yet, while improving strength, we have made our axle housings on average, 2 pounds lighter than stock style housings.
Fitted with “New Big Ford” (Torino)-style bearings and a 3” O.D. axle tubes, this housing also includes forged steel axles, bearings, seals and retainers. Flanges are dual-drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" Ford/Mopar and 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt patterns and includes two sizes of wheel studs (1/2"-20 Ford/Mopar and 7/16"-20 GM).
We finish off the axle assembly with Forged 1541 Steel Currie Enterprises axles.
Learn more about the superior design and benefits of our fabricated Ford 9 inch rearend axle housing kit.
- 3" O.D. axle tubes with 3/16" wall thickness
- Billet steel "New Big Ford" (Torino) style bearing ends
- Forged Currie Enterprises 1541 Steel axles, dual drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" Ford/Mopar and 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt patterns.
- Accepts brake kits for 2.50" axle shaft flange offset (from housing flange)
- Housing measures 49" from flange-to-flange
- Assembled rearend measures 54" from hub-to-hub (axle flange face-to-face)
- Includes one 27-5/8" long axle and one 25-1/4" long axle in your choice of 28 or 31 spline
- Centered pumpkin w/ 1" offset pinion yoke for easy suspension mock-up
- Greater-than-stock capacity center section holds more gear oil and runs cooler
- Includes vent on driver side axle tube
- Includes studs for 3rd member and 3/8” T-bolts for bearing retainer plates
Precision Built Third Member with Nodular Iron Carrier Housing
Our third member assemblies are precision assembled, in house by our trained technicians with new, quality components. You choose the gear ratio and we take care of the rest. We start with a new carrier housing, re-designed and constructed of reinforced nodular (ductile) iron that is far stronger than OEM ‘gray’ cast iron housings. Nodular iron resists fracturing far better than traditional gray iron and is the metal of choice for the demands of high horsepower and torque. Machined surfaces and a Viton® pinion seal keep the leaks off your shop floor.
We have reinforced the rearmost pinion (pilot bearing) support and use a large “Daytona” nodular iron pinion bearing support with a spacer and shim assembly to maintain perfect pinion gear alignment and long life. The spacer/shim stack gives durability and ease of service. The larger oiling channels of the Daytona bearing support also add to long bearing life. We included a NEW, forged steel 1310-style "Short Ford" pinion yoke to round off this durable assembly.
Ring and pinion gears are built of long-wearing 8620 cold-rolled steel and assembled with Grade 9 hardware with Grade 8 carrier cap bolts. Billet steel adjuster nuts and heavy-duty keepers ensure your ring gear settings are maintained.
See how our third members assemblies are an unbeatable combination of value and quality.
- Precision assembly for the correct backlash, preload, and proper amount of pinion shims to ensure the correct pattern on the ring gear teeth
- Nodular iron housing is stronger than OEM “gray” iron and has 4 lbs of additional reinforcement
- Large bearing “Daytona” style pinion bearing supports for strength and reliability
- New forged steel 1310-style "Short Ford" pinion yoke
- U-Joint Cap Size: 1-1/16, Yoke Width: 3-7/32"
- Spacer and shim setup maintains critical pinion depth settings and easier to service than traditional crush sleeves
- Gear units built of long-wearing 8620 cold-rolled steel, available in your choice of gear ratio
- Ring gears assembled with Grade 9 hardware, 15% stronger in tensile strength than Grade 8
- Viton® pinion seal, resistant to chemicals and high temperatures
- Grade 8 Carrier cap bolts
- Lock-style pinion nut with pre-applied Loctite®
- Grade 5 pinion support bolts
Clutch-Style Posi Differential with Proven Performance
Our clutch-style posi differential gives you maximum traction. Based on the original limited-slip designs of the OEMs, these differential units provide the added benefits of experience over millions of miles and decades of proven reliability. A clutch-style operation means no clicking around corners and our posis feature heat-treated spider gears in a forged steel case. We’ve taken this posi to the next step in performance with increased clutch pressure and holding power, suiting it well for heavy-duty street car applications.
This differential has performed well in our Week to Wicked 1952 Chevy Truck, handling the job of transferring a 430 HP GM Performance LS3 to the ground.
- Clutch style, spider gear differential = proven reliability
- Spring-loaded clutch pack with improved grip over OEM designs
- Ideal for street tires and medium horsepower applications
- Housed in a Fully Machined, Reinforced Forged Steel Case
This kit comes supplied with all necessary hardware and gaskets for a complete install.
Save time, money and be comfortable knowing you have a first-rate, hand assembled complete Ford 9 inch rearend assembly with our complete axle housing, axle and third member kit.
Racing applications with 10.5” tires, drag radials or slicks are better suited for the more expensive locker and Powertrax style carrier designs.
All third members are assembled by our team of professionals and are delivered to you in a handy plastic carrying case, for an overall value that can’t be beat.
Available in your choice of 3.00, 3.25, 3.50, 3.70, 3.89, 4.11 or 4.56 gear ratio in both 28 and 31 spline. Standard gear weight.
Total wheel-to-wheel mounting surface width is 54" (from hub-to-hub). The pumpkin is centered in the housing, which puts the pinion 1" offset from center, requiring different length axle shafts. This 54" housing kit includes one 27-5/8" long axle and one 25-1/4" long axle. These custom cut and splined axle shafts are manufactured from an induction heat treated 1541 forged alloy. These axles are specific to the aftermarket brake configuration standard in that they have a 2.5" brake space offset, 2.8" register hub and include late model large bearings (Torino bearings). Flanges are dual-drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" Ford/Mopar and 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt patterns.
Gear lube recommendations:
91044090 - For street and every day driving under normal conditions
91044140 - For extreme duty, towing or very hot climates
Charts3rd Member Installation Instructions
What's In The Kit
Currie CE-98129-27625 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 27-5/8 InchPart # 91046009Qty x 1
Currie CE-98126-25250 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 25-1/4 InchPart # 91046008Qty x 1
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing, 54 Inch WidthPart # 91046254Qty x 1
9 Inch Ford Rearend Axle Housing 3rd Member Pumpkin GasketPart # 9192300Qty x 1
Ford 9 Inch Clutch-Style Posi Differential Third MembersPart # 91049345Qty x 1
Third Member Mounting Hardware, Ford 8 inch/9 inchRear EndPart # 9190916Qty x 1
More Like This
Fabricated 9 In Ford Rear Axle w/ Posi Traction 3rd Member, 56 In
Fabricated 9 In Ford Rear Axle w/ Posi Traction 3rd Member, 58 In
Fabricated 9 In Ford Rear Axle w/ Posi Traction 3rd Member, 60 In
9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 56 Inch
9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 54 Inch
9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 58 Inch
9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 60 Inch
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 54 In. Width
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 56 In. Width
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 58 In. Width
Q & A
Today on our 410 sprint car, the guys are assembling the front axle. The process can be a bit messy, but the finished product is so worth it!
Check out our 6th episode of the 410 Sprint Car Build series. Last time we assembled the rear axle and now we are installing it!