Currie CE-GMB5557X 1955-57 Chevy 9 Inch Ford Crate Rearend Kit
Rear Position, Semi-Floating Axle Type, 60" Overall Width, 9 Inch Ring Gear Size
- The axles are drilled for stock 5 on 4-3/4" wheel bolt pattern
- Overall width measures 60" and has 31 spline performance axle shafts
- Has heavy duty 2” wide leaf spring pads installed in the stock location
- This Ford 9" rear end is specifically designed for the 1955-1957 Chevy vehicles
- They are built using the stock overall width, pinion offset, and mounting points of your original rear axle housing
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
Now you can have the strength and serviceability that Ford drivers have enjoyed for years underneath your GM vehicle. Currie Crate Rearends are built using the stock overall width, pinion offest, and mounting points of your original rear axle housing, making it a 100% bolt-in upgrade. Designed as a bolt-in kit for 1955-57 Chevy Car applications.
- All new 9-Plus heavy duty housing
- Replacement fit for 1955-57 Chevy chassis
- Heavy duty 2” wide leaf spring pads installed in the stock location
- 31 spline performance axle shafts
- 60" width
- Torino-style late model large bearing housing ends
- Third member studs installed
- Axles drilled for stock 5 on 4-3/4" wheel bolt pattern
- 7/16"-20 wheel studs pressed into axles
- 1/4” thick heavy duty bearing retainer plates
- Tapered Timken style wheel bearings pressed onto axle
- 54-5/8" housing flange to housing flange width
- 27-1/4" and 31-1/2" long outside axle flange to end of splines
Note: Works with Speedway rear disc brake kits, 11" Ford Explorer disc brakes, and Wilwood disc brakes. Third member sold separately.
To learn more about Currie's 9+ rearends, check out these Frequently Asked Questions on 9-Plus Housing (Link)
When installing new axles in rearends with posi traction differentials, be sure to install the driver's side axle first to keep the splines properly aligned. Failure to do so may move the two splined gears out of alignment, and it may be difficult to install the driver's side axle properly if the passenger side axle is already installed.
If installation of passenger side axle is done first it may require two people when installing the driver's side axle, with both parties rotating reach axle until splines are in line and the driver's side axle fully sides into the housing.
To ensure you get the most out of your new 9 Inch components, Currie recommends that you perform a proper break-in process:
- Use a name brand mineral-based gear oil, preferably 85w140 (Extremely high quality synthetic oils may be used once break-in process has been successfully performed)
- Place vehicle on jack stands and let the rearend spin while the vehicle idles - run transmission in both forward and reverse periodically throughout the process
- Continue to run the rearend until the pinion gets hot (place hand on bottom of the differential housing to verify this)
- Proper break-in allows:
- The ability to install new axles and hit the track the same day without worry
- Extended life for rearend components
- Keeps the quality and life of your gear oil
Note: If you find that your rearend is running somewhat "tight" be sure to add Currie's 9+ Friction Modifier to "loosen up". If a more aggressive performance is desired, Friction Modifier is not needed.
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
What's In The Kit
Ford 9" Housing for 1955-57 ChevyPart # 91005557.1Qty x 1
Long and Short Axle SetPart # 91005557.2Qty x 1
More Like This
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Bolt-In Rear End Axle for 1955-57 Chevy Car
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 54 In. Width
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 56 In. Width
Fabricated 9 In Ford Rear Axle w/ Posi Traction 3rd Member, 54 In
9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 56 Inch
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Pinion Centered Axle/Housing Kit, 54 Inch
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Pinion Centered Axle/Housing Kit, 56 Inch
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Pinion Centered Axle/Housing Kit, 58 Inch
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 58 In. Width
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 60 In. Width
Q & A
Today on our 410 sprint car, the guys are assembling the front axle. The process can be a bit messy, but the finished product is so worth it!
Check out our 6th episode of the 410 Sprint Car Build series. Last time we assembled the rear axle and now we are installing it!
Pat talks about our 67-72 pickup rear end housing and some of the options we have for it.
This article demonstrates how to install a complete Winters quick change kit with additional parts including birdcages, brackets, and calipers for a modified race car.
In this Tech Tip, John responds to a customer looking to upgrade the 8” stock differential in his Cougar to a 9” open diff.
A routine weekly maintenance checklist to perform between each race in order to keep a clean and efficient race car at the track.
We will show you the differences among traditional I-beam and tube axles and suspension designs used on hot rods; the differences between cross and traditional steering, measuring for springs, what spindles to choose, and much more.