Currie CE-GMB5557X 1955-57 Chevy 9 Inch Ford Crate Rearend Kit
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
Now you can have the strength and serviceability that Ford drivers have enjoyed for years underneath your GM vehicle. Currie Crate Rearends are built using the stock overall width, pinion offest, and mounting points of your original rear axle housing, making it a 100% bolt-in upgrade. Designed as a bolt-in kit for 1955-57 Chevy Car applications.
- All new 9-Plus heavy duty housing
- Replacement fit for 1955-57 Chevy chassis
- Heavy duty 2” wide leaf spring pads installed in the stock location
- 31 spline performance axle shafts
- 60" width
- Torino-style late model large bearing housing ends
- Third member studs installed
- Axles drilled for stock 5 on 4-3/4" wheel bolt pattern
- 7/16"-20 wheel studs pressed into axles
- 1/4” thick heavy duty bearing retainer plates
- Tapered Timken style wheel bearings pressed onto axle
Note: Works with Speedway rear disc brake kits, 11" Ford Explorer disc brakes, and Wilwood disc brakes. Third member sold separately.
To learn more about Currie's 9+ rearends, check out these Frequently Asked Questions on 9-Plus Housing (Link)
When installing new axles in rearends with posi traction differentials, be sure to install the driver's side axle first to keep the splines properly aligned. Failure to do so may move the two splined gears out of alignment, and it may be difficult to install the driver's side axle properly if the passenger side axle is already installed.
If installation of passenger side axle is done first it may require two people when installing the driver's side axle, with both parties rotating reach axle until splines are in line and the driver's side axle fully sides into the housing.
To ensure you get the most out of your new 9 Inch components, Currie recommends that you perform a proper break-in process:
- Use a name brand mineral-based gear oil, preferably 85w140 (Extremely high quality synthetic oils may be used once break-in process has been successfully performed)
- Place vehicle on jack stands and let the rearend spin while the vehicle idles - run transmission in both forward and reverse periodically throughout the process
- Continue to run the rearend until the pinion gets hot (place hand on bottom of the differential housing to verify this)
- Proper break-in allows:
- The ability to install new axles and hit the track the same day without worry
- Extended life for rearend components
- Keeps the quality and life of your gear oil
Note: If you find that your rearend is running somewhat "tight" be sure to add Currie's 9+ Friction Modifier to "loosen up". If a more aggressive performance is desired, Friction Modifier is not needed.
What's In The KitEach kit from Speedway Motors is carefully packaged and delivered right to your door. Below is a list of all the items you should expect to receive when you order this kit. Some of these items may also be available for sale individually if you're here looking for replacement parts.
Ford 9" Housing for 1955-57 ChevyPart # 91005557.1Qty x 1
Long and Short Axle SetPart # 91005557.2Qty x 1
More Like This
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Bolt-In Rear End Axle for 1955-57 Chevy Car
Winters Performance Steel Wide 5 Axle Tube
Reclaimed Ford 9 Inch Grand National Rearend Axle Housing
9 Inch Ford Housing with Metric Brackets, 58 Inch Hub-to-Hub Width
Mittler Grand National Rear Axle Housing, 60 Inch
M&W MFA175SP Speedway Spike 45 Inch Midget Axle
9 Inch Ford Housing with Metric Brackets, 58-3/4 Inch Hub-to-Hub Width
9 Inch Ford Housing with Metric Brackets, 60 Inch Hub-to-Hub Width
Currie CE-GMF6769SX 1967-69 GM F-Body 9 Inch Ford Rearend, Mono-Leaf
Currie CE-GMA6872X 1968-72 GM A-Body 9 Inch Ford Crate Rearend Kit
Q & A
The Speedway Motors Tech Team created a quick how-to on squaring the front axle of your open wheel race car.