Ford 9 Inch Nodular Third Member Center Section Carrier, 3.062"
Ford 9", Grand National, Nodular Iron, Natural
Start your 9 Inch axle build with a strong foundation. Our all-new, redesigned Ford 9 Inch center sections are stronger than factory Ford carriers and fit into most Ford 9 Inch axle housings (car/truck/van). Standard 3.062” differential carrier bearings fit this center section, allowing the use of 28, 31 or 33-spline axle shafts.
When it comes to strength, versatility and ease-of-service, the Ford 9 Inch is unmatched. The front-loaded third member (“pumpkin”) is easily removed for gear changes or service. Ford took a good design and improved it to handle the demands of NASCAR and NHRA drag racing in the 1960’s by introducing carriers made of nodular (ductile) iron. These “N” cases offered more strength than traditional “gray” iron and withstood higher shock loads delivered by the new, high-horsepower engines – with less gear deflection and less chance of failure. The N case was the choice of Ford’s HiPo offerings like 406 Galaxies, 427 Fairlanes, “Drag Pack” 428 Cobra Jets, and Boss 429 Mustangs.
While original Ford N cases are still great, they’re getting hard to find. Ordinary Ford carriers, such as casting C7AW-E shown on this page, are made from grey cast iron which is brittle. This makes them more likely to crack and subsequently fail when subjected to high loads. We’ve put decades of experience to work, correcting these deficiencies in this popular axle platform. In fact, our carrier has already been proven on both dirt and asphalt tracks across America.
Our Ford 9 Inch carrier is a NEW casting with over 4 lbs. of material added in critical areas. Extra ribbing reinforces the case and rearmost pinion support (pilot bearing). Thick, forged steel bearing caps surround the carrier bearings, all securely held in place with Grade 8 cap screws. The improvements continue with rugged billet steel adjuster nuts and heavy-duty keepers to ensure your ring gear settings are maintained. All mounting surfaces are precision machined to ensure a consistent, flat surface for a positive gasket seal (no more leaks on your shop floor). An oil fill plug is included.
Best of all, our nodular Ford 9 Inch carriers work with both OEM and aftermarket 9 Inch axle housings. The 3.062" carrier bearing size supports 28, 31 or 33-spline axle shafts. The carrier accepts gears up to 5.43:1 ratio without any internal clearancing (and up to 7.33:1 with some minor grinding). Speaking of gears, be sure to cap your new gear set with our nodular iron Daytona pinion bearing support. This rugged unit is cast from the same material as the carrier and features big diameter bearings, ensuring there are no weak links in your driveline combination.
- Fits both OEM and aftermarket Ford 9 inch axle housings
- Use 3.062” O.D. carrier bearing (factory Ford “big bearing” carrier)
- Works with 28, 31 or 33-spline axle shafts (with proper bearing)
- Nodular iron material has more desirable grain structure to resist fractures
- Withstands higher shock loads & is more resistant to fatigue than gray iron castings
- Housing is reinforced in many areas (extra ribbing, thicker bulkheads, bearing support webbing)
- Casting weighs 29.7 lbs. (4 lbs. more than ordinary Ford C7AW-E carriers)
- Additional “pilot” pinion support webbing, addressing a weak point on factory castings
- Accepts gears up to 5.43:1 (up to 7.33:1 with minor grinding)
- Precision milled mounting surfaces to stop leaks on your shop floor
- Forged steel bearing caps are secured with Grade 8 1/2”-13 cap screws
- Billet steel adjuster nuts and heavy duty keepers maintain critical gear tooth settings
- Accepts standard 9” & Daytona pinion bearing supports
- Oil fill hole in factory location for easy service
- IMCA approved
- Add reliability and maintain a tight seal by replacing fatigued hardware with new housing studs 9190915 and nuts 9190916.
- Instead of RTV silicone, rely on gasket 9192300 with its non-stick coating and steel core to hold the oil in.
- Torque bearing cap bolts to 80 ft./lbs.
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Q & A
This video shows you how to check your drive chain for damage, clean your drivetrain components, lubricate your chain and re-install on a Micro Sprint racecar.
Tim talks about our Winters quick change rear end & components.
Lucas P. explains how to choose the correct part for a Ford 9" third member build in order to achieve a bulletproof rear. You will find specific recommended parts to use from Speedway Motors.
A brief overview of the steps Speedway Motors takes to ensure you get a quality differential.
Read up on GM 10 bolt ring and pinion installation instructions. Follow along as our employee Zach installs a GM 10 bolt rebuild kit from Motive Gear.
Need help with rear end identification for your classic car? Learn how to identify 9 inch Ford housings and how to measure your axle with our diagrams.
Steps to cleaning a micro sprint chain after a race. Read about the importance of maintaining a clean, well-lubricated chain for longevity and enhanced power.