Ford 9 Inch Bolt-On Rear Disc Brake Kit w/ E-Brake Caliper
Ford 9", Rear Position, Dual: 5 on 4.5" | 4.75" Bolt Pattern, 11.25 Inch Rotor Diameter
- Disc brake stopping power for Ford 9 inch and 8 inch rearends at nearly the same cost as rebuilding/replacing drum brakes
- Kits include two bolt-on caliper brackets, two 11 1/4" vented rotors, two GM metric emergency brake style calipers, brake pads and hardware
- Rotors have a 2.780" center hole with both 5 on 4 1/2" and 5 on 4 3/4" bolt circles
- Fits over an axle with maximum flange diameter of 6 1/4" O.D.
- Fits "old" and "new" style big bearing (3.150" bearing O.D.) Ford housings and with axle offsets of a minimum 2-3/8" to 2-1/2"
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
As featured on Classic Truck’s Week to Wicked. Watch the transformation here!
Disc Brake Stopping Power at a Great Value
This economical disc brake kit for Ford 9 inch and 8 Inch axles is simple to install and provides big stopping power, at a price nearly the same as replacing original drum brakes. That Ford rear end handles the power to make it go, but these binders clamp down when you say whoa! Today’s average family sedan can stop from 60 MPH in 120 feet, at nearly 1G of deceleration. You need the same stopping power. Your passengers, you and your car deserve the confidence of disc brakes and our kit delivers that confidence with exceptional value.
Superior to Drum Brakes
Aftermarket disc brakes are superior to original drums in many ways: more braking force, less brake fade, and easier service. Stopping power starts with our newly manufactured GM Metric D154 style single piston calipers, commonly found on 1978-88 GM G-Body and A-Body cars. Large 11-1/4” diameter, 1” thick vented rotors provide more stopping leverage than common 9” or 10” drum brakes. Brake pads are easier to change than drum shoes, and our brake kit includes a street-friendly organic compound for long rotor/pad life. Replacement pads are common sized, available from your local auto parts store. Looking for more aggressive stopping power? We carry race-grade D154 disc brake pads that drop in just as easily.
Fits Ford 9 Inch and 8 Inch Housings
This disc brake kit fits Ford 8” axles, as well as passenger car Ford 9 inch axle housings with “big bearing” ends (3.150” O.D. bearing, found on passenger cars from 1974-79). Included bracketry will adapt this kit to both “new style” and “old style” Ford 9 inch housing flanges with the 3/8” bearing retainer bolt holes. Bracket spacers are also included, allowing this kit to work with axle flange offsets of 2-3/8” or 2-1/2” common on Ford 9 inch passenger car rear ends. Axle flange offset is measured from the axle housing flange face (with bearing retainer removed) to the axle shaft flange face (side where the brake rotor/drum rides, including the thickness of the axle flange).
Hardware and Instructions Included
Kit includes a detailed, step-by-step instruction sheet with images. The floating calipers include new Grade 5 slider bolts, with all remaining hardware of Grade 8 quality. Cast iron rotors feature a dual bolt pattern in 5x4.5” (Ford/Mopar/AMC) or 5x4.75” (Chevy/GM) to match your desired wheel hub pattern. Plus, this assembly will clear most 15” diameter wheels designed with disc brakes in mind. Note that there are no provisions for a parking brake, making this the perfect disc brake conversion kit for the budget-focused builder who prefers a basic upgrade kit.
- Disc brake stopping power at nearly the same cost as rebuilding/replacing drum brakes
- 11-1/4” diameter, 1” thick vented cast iron rotors dissipate heat faster than drum brakes
- Serviceable design ensures good drivability and piece-of-mind when on the road
- Street-friendly GM D154 style pads, replacements available nearly everywhere
- GM “Metric” style single piston calipers with 7/16”-20 banjo-style inlets
- Fits Ford “big bearing” 9 inch housings from passenger cars and 8 inch rear ends
- Use with Ford 9 inch rear ends with 2-3/8” or 2-1/2” axle flange-to-housing offsets
- Dual wheel bolt patterns covering all GM/Ford/Mopar (5x4.5” for 1/2” studs, 5x4.75” for 7/16” studs)
- Use with 15” or larger disc brake-style wheels
- Easy bolt-on installation w/ included instruction sheet
- Includes heavy steel mounting brackets, Grade 8 hardware and nylock nuts (everything you need)
- "Old-style" big bearing 9" Ford axle
- "New-style" big bearing 9" Ford axle
- 8" Ford axle
- Axle housings with minimum axle offsets of 2-3/8" to 2-1/2"
This kit will NOT work on pickup housings or the 50's 9" housings as they only have about 2" backspace. The exception would be the late 50's station wagon rear ends.
When using with a Currie Axle with an o/d register of 2.795", the rotor is included in this kit with an i/d register of 2.78" and therefore will need to be machined by increasing the hole diameter in the rotor to match the Currie axle spec of 2.795"
- For passenger car axles only, 15” and larger wheels only
- Fits 9 inch housing axle offsets of 2-3/8” to 2-1/2” (measured from outside of housing flange to outside of axle flange, not measured out to axle register but only surface where the rotor sits against). Requires “big bearing” housing ends (for a 3.150” O.D. bearing) with 3/8” bearing retainer bolt holes.
- Brake rotor has a 2.78” center hole and works with axle shaft flanges no larger than 6-1/4” diameter. If your axle shaft flange exceeds that diameter, you will need machine the flange to decrease the diameter.
- Brackets position the calipers in a rear-mid orientation (3 o’clock on the driver side rear wheel), making this ideal for pull-type emergency brake cable systems (most OEM systems work in this way).
- This kit is an aftermarket solution. It is not intended to be a direct installation or OEM replacement. Due to changes in production in certain years, your application may require modifications beyond these instructions for this kit to install properly.
910-31921 Instructions (PDF)
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
What's In The Kit
Speedway Replacement 11-1/4 Inch Rear Brake RotorPart # 91031039Qty x 2
GM Metric Disc Brake to 9 Inch Ford Bracket SetPart # 91031981Qty x 1
Ford 9 Inch Brake Bolt KitPart # 91031981-2Qty x 1
1978-Up GM Metric Emergency Brake Caliper, LH, 5.45 Mount BoltsPart # 91031046-LQty x 1
1978-Up GM Metric Emergency Brake Caliper, RH, 5.45 Mount BoltsPart # 91031046-RQty x 1
Instruction Sheet 91031902/91031921Part # 910319.INSTQty x 1
More Like This
Speedway 8 & 9 Inch Ford Disc Brake Conversion Kit w/ E-Brake
Weld-On Rear Disc Brake Kit, 1969-77 GM Caliper, 3 Inch Backspace
Wilwood 140-7143 Rear Disc Parking Brake Kit, Ford 9 Inch, 2.66 Offset
Disc Brake Kit, 1978-88 GM Caliper to Early Ford Spindle, 5 on 4-1/2In
Speedway Front Disc Brake Kit for Spindle-Mount Wire Wheels
Complete Disc Brake Kit 1937-48 Ford, 5 on 5-1/2 BC
1948-1956 Ford Half Ton Deluxe Disc Brake Kit, 5 x 5-1/2 Inch
1948-1956 Ford Half Ton Deluxe Disc Brake Kit, 5 x 4-1/2 Inch
Mustang II Disc Brake Kit for Early Chevy Spindles, 5 on 4-1/2 Inch
GM 10 & 12 Bolt Bolt-On Rear Disc Brake Kit w/ E-Brake
Q & A
Learn how to assemble one of our bolt on nine-inch Ford disc brake kits in this step-by-step guide.
Day 1 afternoon update of the Speedway Motors and Classic Trucks Week to Wicked classic Chevy project.
Now that Project Chevelle is finally making real power, we want it all to get to the ground without breaking anything. Follow along as we install a 9-inch housing, third member, and some trick tubular control arms!
The E-Stopp Electric E-Brake is an electronic push-button activated emergency brake option where the visible element is small and compact, and can replace the traditional hand or foot-operated emergency brakes.
Learn how to assemble a rear axle assembly as we put together ours for the 410 Sprint Car Build. Our team of builders continues to make progress on the car!