Currie CE-FDM7993X5 1979-93 Fox Mustang 9 Inch Ford Rear Axle
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
Now you can have all the strength and serviceability benefits that the Ford 9" offers underneath your Fox Body Mustang. Currie Crate Rearends are built using the stock overall width, pinion offest, and mounting points of your original rear axle housing, making it a 100% bolt-in upgrade.
- All new 9-Plus heavy duty housing
- Replacement fit for 1979-93 Fox-Body chassis
- Urethane upper control arm bushings are installed
- 31 spline performance axle shafts
- 59-1/4" width
- Torino-style late model large bearing housing ends
- Third member studs installed
- Axles drilled for 5 on 4-1/2" wheel bolt pattern
- 1/2"-20 wheel studs pressed into axles
- 1/4” thick heavy duty bearing retainer plates
- Tapered Timken style wheel bearings pressed onto axle
Note: Works with Speedway rear disc brake kits, 11" Ford Explorer disc brakes, and Wilwood disc brakes. Third member sold separately.
To learn more about Currie's 9+ rearends, check out these Frequently Asked Questions on 9-Plus Housing (Link)
When installing new axles in rearends with posi traction differentials, be sure to install the driver's side axle first to keep the splines properly aligned. Failure to do so may move the two splined gears out of alignment, and it may be difficult to install the driver's side axle properly if the passenger side axle is already installed.
If installation of passenger side axle is done first it may require two people when installing the driver's side axle, with both parties rotating reach axle until splines are in line and the driver's side axle fully sides into the housing.
To ensure you get the most out of your new 9 Inch components, Currie recommends that you perform a proper break-in process:
- Use a name brand mineral-based gear oil, preferably 85w140 (Extremely high quality synthetic oils may be used once break-in process has been successfully performed)
- Place vehicle on jack stands and let the rearend spin while the vehicle idles - run transmission in both forward and reverse periodically throughout the process
- Continue to run the rearend until the pinion gets hot (place hand on bottom of the differential housing to verify this)
- Proper break-in allows:
- The ability to install new axles and hit the track the same day without worry
- Extended life for rearend components
- Keeps the quality and life of your gear oil
Note: If you find that your rearend is running somewhat "tight" be sure to add Currie's 9+ Friction Modifier to "loosen up". If a more aggressive performance is desired, Friction Modifier is not needed.
What's In The Kit
9" Housing for 1979-93 Fox BodyPart # 91047993.1Qty x 1
Long & Short Axle SetPart # 91047993.2Qty x 1
More Like This
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Bolt-In Rear End Axle for 1979-93 Mustang
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 54 In. Width
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 56 In. Width
Winters Performance SR2550STB SR2980 Nostalgia V8 Quickchange, Plain
Winters Performance Nostalgia V-8 Quickchange, Polished Housing
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 58 In. Width
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 60 In. Width
Q & A
Pat talks about our 67-72 pickup rear end housing and some of the options we have for it.
Eagle Motorsports shows off their premier 3-spoke Micro Hubs.
Eagle Motorsports, Inc. put together a how-to video on installing their Stallard SST Front Axle Assembly.
Eagle Motorsports, Inc. put together a how-to video on installing their Stallard SST Rear Axle Assembly.
Eagle Motorsports, Inc. put together a how-to video on assembling their Stallard SST Rear Axle Assembly.
A routine weekly maintenance checklist to perform between each race in order to keep a clean and efficient race car at the track.