American Autowire 510347 Classic Update Kit, 1973-82 Chevy Truck
73-82 Chevy, 73-82 GMC
The wiring in your Chevy Truck is approaching fifty years old and probably not up to the task anymore. If you need a harness that has both OEM and modern features, this is the one for you. This Classic Update wiring harness from American Autowire allows you to plug into the original gauges and dash accessories, headlights, taillights and heater controls.
The Classic Update Series Harnesses are recommended for modified original vehicles, not OEM restoration projects. Fits 1973-82 Chevy Trucks.
Classic Update Kits give you one of the most complete kits on the market to “Make Wiring THAT Easy”. They are designed for specific year, make, and model configurations. The 1973-1982 Chevy and GMC Truck Kit is no exception.
The kit boasts 12 features making it the most complete system of its type in the industry including:
- A replacement headlight switch with internal 25-amp circuit breaker, adjustable length shaft, and custom knob.
- Standard turn signal flasher, hazard flasher, and horn relay mounted on harness.
- Fuse box designed to fit in original location with no mods to the firewall. All required hardware supplied. New ATO fuse panel allows for easy fuse and circuit breaker accessibility. Harness is laid out and formed to allow for nearly all aftermarket accessories such as; gauge packages, wiper systems, heat, and air conditioning systems, etc.
- Steering column connectors can plug directly into most aftermarket steering columns or stock 1975 and up GM columns. Can also be mated to earlier columns using the adapter and terminals included in the kit.
- Separate under dash courtesy lamp assemblies are also included for use along with your original dome/interior lighting feeds.
- Instrument Cluster wiring is designed with a “cluster harness disconnect” system for easy service and assembly. Original terminals and connector that will plug into the original gauge cluster (another American Autowire exclusive) are provided. The system will also connect into most popular aftermarket gauges such as DAKOTA DIGITAL, CLASSIC INSTRUMENTS, AUTOMETER, VDO, and others.
- Rear body harness assembly plugs into the main harness at the main bulkhead disconnect location and our longer leads allow for stock or custom routing of the wires. Rear body wiring includes backup light lead wires and connectors along with stop and tail light lead wires and connectors. License plate lamp lead connection, as well as the fuel tank sender lead connection is also included.
- Original style lamp sockets and side markers for fleet side and original style molded connections for step side rear lamps are included.
- New floor dimmer switch is provided for ease of installation. Wire length and connection accommodate original floor mount dimmer switch.
- Engine wiring includes feeds for coil, tach, water temperature, oil pressure, electric choke, and electric speedometer (if needed). A heavy gauge alternator feed and fusible link are also included for any typical high output 1 wire or internally regulated alternator. Connectors supplied for power and tach leads for GM style H.E.I. distributors along with various oil and temp senders.
- Front lighting includes extra long leads that can be routed for stock or optional appearances. All headlight, parking light, and directional light leads, along with a switched trigger wire for an electric fan relay (usually recommended with AC) are provided. Mating terminals and connectors are also provided for you to complete your custom installation.
- New parking lamp socket and side marker lamp sockets are also included.
Dash Wiring Kit(PDF)
Engine Wiring Kit(PDF)
Rear Body Wiring Kit(PDF)
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
More Like This
Mechanical Speedometer Universal Dash Gauge Harness
AutoMeter 5229 Wire Harness for Digital StepperMotor Boost Gauges
AutoMeter 5233 Wire Harness - Full Sweep Elec. Fuel Level Gauges
AutoMeter 5252 Extended Length Wire Harness, Wideband AFR Gauges
Longacre® 52-43534 SMi Pressure Sensor Wire Harness 0-100 psi
Holley EFI 558-436 Terminated Vehicle Harness for Digital Dash
Holley EFI 554-130 EFI Gauge Module
EMi Henchcraft® Mini Sprint Wing Switch Wiring Harness
AutoMeter 5275 Replacement Wire Harness for Elite Press. Gauges
AutoMeter 5276 Wire Harness for Digital StepperMotor Elite Gauges
Q & A
Speedway Motors employee Pat O. talks about the King Bee Headlight and a few conduit options available at Speedway Motors.
Speedway Motors and Classic Trucks called on Painless Wiring to power their ground up rebuild of a 1952 Chevy truck that was built in celebration of Speedway Motors’ 65th anniversary.
Pat shows off how easy wiring your LS can be with our LS wiring kit.
Unbox our most popular wiring harness with Tim.
Speedway Motors employee Pat O. is back to talk Ford Automatic OverDrive Kickdown brackets and kits.
Testing a 2 or 3 wire speed sensor sounds difficult, but these videos show that it actually is quite easy!
Watch our Steering Column Wiring Guide video for useful tips on wiring your new steering column for your vehicle. Ididit takes you through the wiring process.