American Autowire 500981 Classic Update Kit, 1964-67 Chevelle
64-67 Chevy Chevelle, 64-67 Chevy El Camino, 18 Number of Circuits, Fuse Block Included
If you need a harness that has both OEM and modern features, this is the one for you. This Classic Update wiring harness from American Autowire allows you to plug into the original gauges and dash accessories, headlights, taillights and heater controls. The included steering column connectors will plug directly into most aftermarket steering columns as well as 1969 and later GM columns which utilize stock GM turn signal switches The original column can also be wired by using the supplied mating connector and terminals.
The Classic Update Series Harnesses are recommended for modified original vehicles, not OEM restoration projects. Fits 1964-67 Chevrolet Chevelles and El Caminos.
Note: El Camino and Station Wagon models will require 500999 rear body parts kit which is available from American Autowire at an additional cost.
- Replacement headlight switch with internal 30 amp circuit breaker included. Retention collar nut, adjustable length shaft, and custom knob are also included.
- Standard turn signal flasher, hazard flasher, and horn relay mounted on fuse panel.
- Fuse box designed to fit in the original location. All required hardware supplied. New ATO fuse allows easy fuse and circuit breaker accessibility. Harness is laid out and formed to allow for nearly all aftermarket accessories such as; gauge packages, wiper systems, heat and air conditioning systems, etc.
- Original switch connector bodies! (Exclusive to American Autowire)
- Along with wiring for your original dome/interior lighting, we have included separate underdash light sockets.
- Instrument Cluster wiring is designed with a “cluster harness disconnect” system for easy service and assembly. All original terminals, connectors (exclusively from American Autowire), and light sockets are also supplied for original cluster gauges. However, the best aspect of the disconnect system is that any gauge cluster package can be easily and neatly wired in. This includes AUTOMETER, CLASSIC INSTRUMENTS, COVAN CLASSICS, DAKOTA DIGITAL, STEWART WARNER, and VDO just to name a few.
- New ignition switch is included with indexed connector. Additionally, the system comes with column mounted ignition switch connectors for adapting late model columns.
- Rear body harness assembly is designed to plug into the main harness in the original location. Flexibility in harness design allows for original or custom routing. Rear body wiring includes backup light wires and mating connectors for backup light leads. License plate lead, connectors, and terminals included. Fuel tank sender wire and terminal included.
- EXCLUSIVE! You'll find all the original style light socket pigtails packed into every aspect of this system making it the most complete system of its type in the industry!
- New floor dimmer switch is provided. Wire length and connection accommodate original floor mount dimmer switch.
- EXCLUSIVE! GM bulkhead connectors for the engine and front light wiring are included and ready for installation. Original routing of the new harness without any body modifications!
- Engine wiring includes connectors for original points type as well as H.E.I. distributors. Power and tach connectors supplied for GM H.E.I. distributors. Alternator connectors are supplied for GM “SI” series internally regulated alternators. GM “CS” series alternator adapter is available separately.
- Front lighting includes extra long leads for special routing when custom under hood appearance is desired. All headlight, park light, and directional light connectors and terminals are provided, as well as a switched trigger wire for electric fan relay (usually recommended with AC).
Instructions and Notes:
- Alternator and Main Power Connection Kit (PDF)
- Instructions for 500981 1964-67 Chevelle Classic Update Kit (PDF)
- Dash Kit, 1964-67 Chevelle, Classic Update Series (PDF)
- Engine Kit for 1964-67 Chevelle Classic Update (PDF)
- Front Light Kit for Classic Update 1964-67 Chevelle (PDF)
- Rear Body Wiring Kit, 1964-67 Chevelle, Classic Update Series (PDF)
- Courtesy Light Connection Kit, Classic Update Series (PDF)
- Includes courtesy lamp sockets
- Headlight Switch (PDF)
- 7/16"-28 threaded nut
- Complete with aluminum knob, shaft, and collar
- Requires 5/8" hole
- Dimmer Switch (PDF)
- 3 contact
- .25 blade connection
- Uses 500286 connector assembly
- Instrument Cluster Kit, 1964-67 Chevelle, 1962-67 Nova Classic Update Series (PDF)
- Firewall Modification Template, Classic Update Series Kit (PDF)
- Warning and Contents Sheet for 500981 (PDF)
- Ignition Switch, Classic Update, Various (PDF)
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
More Like This
American Autowire 510760 Highway 22 Plus Universal Wiring System
American Autowire 500703 Highway 15 Circuit Wiring Harness
American Autowire 510004 Power Plus 13 Circuit Wiring Harness
American Autowire 510625 Route 9 Circuit Wiring Harness
American Autowire 510008 Power Plus 20 Circuit Wiring Harness
12-Circuit Mini-Fuse Universal Hot Rod Wiring Harness Kit
Deluxe Universal 22 Circuit Wiring Harness with Install Package
Universal 22 Circuit Wiring Harness with Install Package
Deluxe Universal 12 Circuit Wiring Harness with Install Package
22-Circuit Universal Automotive Aftermarket Wiring Harness Kit
Q & A
Speedway Motors employee Pat O. talks about the King Bee Headlight and a few conduit options available at Speedway Motors.
Speedway Motors and Classic Trucks called on Painless Wiring to power their ground up rebuild of a 1952 Chevy truck that was built in celebration of Speedway Motors’ 65th anniversary.
Pat shows off how easy wiring your LS can be with our LS wiring kit.
Unbox our most popular wiring harness with Tim.
Speedway Motors employee Pat O. is back to talk Ford Automatic OverDrive Kickdown brackets and kits.
Testing a 2 or 3 wire speed sensor sounds difficult, but these videos show that it actually is quite easy!
Watch our Steering Column Wiring Guide video for useful tips on wiring your new steering column for your vehicle. Ididit takes you through the wiring process.