9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 56 Inch
Universal Fit, Rear Position, Semi-Floating Axle Type, 56" Overall Width, Differential Included
- A complete Ford 9 inch rear end assembly, built in-house from high-quality components
- Stronger, fabricated steel housing with forged 31-spline axles
- Precision assembled third member with nodular iron housing in your choice of gear ratios
- Richmond Powertrax Grip Pro spiral gear differential is perfect for light-to-medium weight street vehicles where one wants posi-traction without the adverse handling effects or noise of a full locker
- Includes all necessary hardware and gaskets for a complete installation
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
Save the time and headache of choosing the right parts for your Ford 9 inch rear end assembly and let the experts choose a quality, hand-assembled, street-tough complete package for you at the right price.
Stronger, Fabricated Steel Axle Housing with Forged Axles
Designed for your restoration, upgrade or custom build we start with our USA-made, NEW fabricated steel axle housing. Our housing design is pumpkin-centered and improved with two points of support on the axle tubes to reduce tube flex, instead of support only on the single weld point of traditional stamped steel housings. A greater-than-stock capacity center section holds more gear oil and runs cooler. This housing includes (8) T-bolts for the axle bearing retainer plates and (10) studs for the third member. And yet, while improving strength, we have made our axle housings on average, 2 pounds lighter than stock style housings.
Fitted with “New Big Ford” (Torino)-style bearings and a 3” O.D. axle tubes, this housing also includes forged steel axles, bearings, seals and retainers. Flanges are dual-drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" Ford/Mopar and 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt patterns and includes two sizes of wheel studs (1/2"-20 Ford/Mopar and 7/16"-20 GM).
We finish off the axle assembly with Forged 1541 Steel Currie Enterprises axles.
Learn more about the superior design and benefits of our fabricated Ford 9 inch rearend axle housing kit.
- 3" O.D. axle tubes with 3/16" wall thickness
- Billet steel "New Big Ford" (Torino) style bearing ends
- Forged Currie Enterprises 1541 Steel axles, dual drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" Ford/Mopar and 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt patterns.
- Accepts brake kits for 2.50" axle shaft flange offset (from housing flange)
- Housing measures 51" from flange-to-flange
- Assembled rearend measures 56" from hub-to-hub (axle flange face-to-face)
- Includes one 28-5/8" long axle and one 26-3/8" long axle in your choice of 28 or 31 spline
- Centered pumpkin w/ 1" offset pinion yoke for easy suspension mock-up
- Greater-than-stock capacity center section holds more gear oil and runs cooler
- Includes vent on driver side axle tube
- Includes studs for 3rd member and 3/8” T-bolts for bearing retainer plates
Precision Built Third Member with Nodular Iron Carrier Housing
Our third member assemblies are precision assembled, in house by our trained technicians with new, quality components. You choose the gear ratio and we take care of the rest. We start with a new carrier housing, re-designed and constructed of reinforced nodular (ductile) iron that is far stronger than OEM ‘gray’ cast iron housings. Nodular iron resists fracturing far better than traditional gray iron and is the metal of choice for the demands of high horsepower and torque. Machined surfaces and a Viton® pinion seal keep the leaks off your shop floor.
We have reinforced the rearmost pinion (pilot bearing) support and use a large “Daytona” nodular iron pinion bearing support with a spacer and shim assembly to maintain perfect pinion gear alignment and long life. The spacer/shim stack gives durability and ease of service. The larger oiling channels of the Daytona bearing support also add to long bearing life. We included a NEW, forged steel 1310-style "Short Ford" pinion yoke to round off this durable assembly.
Ring and pinion gears are built of long-wearing 8620 cold-rolled steel and assembled with Grade 9 hardware with Grade 8 carrier cap bolts. Billet steel adjuster nuts and heavy-duty keepers ensure your ring gear settings are maintained.
See how our third members assemblies are an unbeatable combination of price and quality.
- Precision assembly for the correct backlash, preload, and proper amount of pinion shims to ensure the correct pattern on the ring gear teeth
- Nodular iron housing is stronger than OEM “gray” iron and has 4 lbs of additional reinforcement
- Large bearing “Daytona” style pinion bearing supports for strength and reliability
- New forged steel 1310-style "Short Ford" pinion yoke
- U-Joint Cap Size: 1-1/16, Yoke Width: 3-7/32"
- Spacer and shim setup maintains critical pinion depth settings and easier to service than traditional crush sleeves
- Gear units built of long-wearing 8620 cold-rolled steel, available in your choice of gear ratio
- Ring gears assembled with Grade 9 hardware, 15% stronger in tensile strength than Grade 8
- Viton® pinion seal, resistant to chemicals and high temperatures
- Grade 8 Carrier cap bolts
- Lock-style pinion nut with pre-applied Loctite®
- Grade 5 pinion support bolts
Gear-Style Richmond Powertrax Grip Pro Differential
Powertrax Grip Pro differentials are the ideal solution for just about any muscle car or truck on the road today. When you need that added traction so your muscle car puts power to the pavement instead of burning one wheel up, Powertrax Grip Pro limited slip differentials are your answer.
- Latest Posi-Trac Design
- Uses 3 x 2 Spiral Gear Technology
- Comes Fully Assembled
- Delivers Progressive & Variable Traction
- Allows You to Control How Much Traction is Applied
- Housed in a Fully Machined, Forged Steel Case
This kit comes supplied with all necessary hardware and gaskets for a complete install.
Save time, money and be comfortable knowing you have a first-rate, hand assembled complete Ford 9 inch rearend assembly with our complete axle housing, axle and third member kit.
When utilizing an aftermarket axle with disc brake conversion kits, it may be necessary to reduce the diameter of the axle flange to a diameter necessary to adequately fit inside the required Clearance I.D. that the brake hat/brake rotor will require. (see above diagram for illustration)
Racing applications with 10.5” tires, drag radials or slicks are better suited for the more expensive locker and Powertrax style carrier designs.
All third members are assembled by our team of professionals and are delivered to you in a handy plastic carrying case, for an overall value that can’t be beat.
Available in your choice of 3.00, 3.25, 3.50, 3.70, 3.89, 4.11 or 4.56 gear ratio in both 28 and 31 spline.
Total wheel-to-wheel mounting surface width is 56" (from hub-to-hub). The pumpkin is centered in the housing, which puts the pinion 1" offset from center, requiring different length axle shafts. This 56" housing kit includes one 28-5/8" long axle and one 26-3/8" long axle. These custom cut and splined axle shafts are manufactured from an induction heat treated 1541 forged alloy. These axles are specific to the aftermarket brake configuration standard in that they have a 2.5" brake space offset, 2.8" register hub and include late model large bearings (Torino bearings). Flanges are dual-drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" Ford/Mopar and 5 on 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt patterns.
Because there are no friction plates, no friction modifier additive is necessary. Always use a 80W-90 weight petroleum based gear oil with a GL-5 (or higher) rating, friction additive/modifiers should NOT BE USED. Synthetic oils and oils containing friction modifiers are not recommended.
Gear lube recommendations:
91044090 - For street and every day driving under normal conditions
91044140 - For extreme duty, towing or very hot climates
What's In The Kit
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing, 56 Inch WidthPart # 91046256Qty x 1
Currie CE-98129-26375 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 26-3/8 InchPart # 91046108Qty x 1
Currie CE-98129-28625 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 28-5/8 InchPart # 91046109Qty x 1
9 Inch Ford Rearend Axle Housing 3rd Member Pumpkin GasketPart # 9192300Qty x 1
Third Member Mounting Hardware, Ford 8 inch/9 inchRear EndPart # 9190916Qty x 1
Ford 9 Inch Gear-Style Posi Differential Third MembersPart # 91048345Qty x 1
More Like This
9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 54 Inch
9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 58 Inch
9 Inch Ford Rear Axle Kit w/Gear Style Posi 3rd Member, 60 Inch
Fabricated 9 In Ford Rear Axle w/ Posi Traction 3rd Member, 56 In
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 54 In. Width
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 56 In. Width
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Pinion Centered Axle/Housing Kit, 54 Inch
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Pinion Centered Axle/Housing Kit, 56 Inch
Speedway Ford 9 Inch Pinion Centered Axle/Housing Kit, 58 Inch
Fabricated 9 In Ford Rear Axle w/ Posi Traction 3rd Member, 54 In
Q & A
Today on our 410 sprint car, the guys are assembling the front axle. The process can be a bit messy, but the finished product is so worth it!
Check out our 6th episode of the 410 Sprint Car Build series. Last time we assembled the rear axle and now we are installing it!
Pat talks about our 67-72 pickup rear end housing and some of the options we have for it.
This article demonstrates how to install a complete Winters quick change kit with additional parts including birdcages, brackets, and calipers for a modified race car.
In this Tech Tip, John responds to a customer looking to upgrade the 8” stock differential in his Cougar to a 9” open diff.
A routine weekly maintenance checklist to perform between each race in order to keep a clean and efficient race car at the track.
We will show you the differences among traditional I-beam and tube axles and suspension designs used on hot rods; the differences between cross and traditional steering, measuring for springs, what spindles to choose, and much more.