Weld-On Rear Disc Brake Kit, 1978-88 GM Caliper, 3 Inch Backspace
Universal Fit, Rear Position, Multi: 5 on 4.5" | 4.75" | 5" Bolt Pattern, Vented Rotor Type
- Replace those old drum rear brakes with modern disc brakes using this universal weld on disc brake kit
- Features GM Metric calipers with massive 2.38" piston size which provide excellent braking in a compact size
- 11.75" OD vented rotors which are .81" thick ensure cool operation for fade free braking performance
- This complete kit includes calipers, rotors, brake pads, brake hats, caliper slide bolts, and caliper brackets
- The 3" backspace steel brake hat accommodates 5 on 4-1/2, 4-3/4", and 5 on 5" bolt circles
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
Replace those old drum brakes with modern rear disc brakes. Mounts .81" x 11-3/4" Pro-lite vented iron rotors and calipers to 3" tube rear end. Complete with rotors, hats, metric calipers (7/16"-20 inlets), brackets, brake pads, caliper brackets and slider bolts.
Steel hat fits 5 lug hubs with 4-1/2", 4-3/4", or 5" bolt circle.
Brake pad and caliper installation note:
This bracket features a 90 degree bend in the bracket at the slider bolt threaded area for additional caliper support. This part of the bracket may or may not interfere with the corner of the inner brake pad backing plate due to differences in brake pad manufacturers. When this occurs, it will be necessary to simply remove a minimal amount of backing plate material at each corner of the inner brake pad to allow for the necessary clearance between the bracket and brake pad when the caliper and pads are fully installed.
- Caliper Brackets (2)
- Weld onto a 3" axle tube
- Rotors (2)
- GM-style .81" x 11-3/4", 8 on 7" bolt pattern
- Straight vanes, 8 lbs. each
- Rotor Hats (2)
- Stamped steel, 3" backspace
- 3.06" center hole, 5.83" I.D., 1/2" stud holes, 2 lbs.
- Rotor Bolt and Nut Kit (2)
- Caliper Slider Bolts (4)
- Brake Pads (2 sets)
- Street compound, little metallic, long rotor and pad life
- Calipers - 1978-88 GM Metric (L & R)
- 7/16"-20 inlet
- Cast iron body, 2.38" single piston
- Saves 3.5 lbs. per side compared to '69-'77 GM calipers
910-31931 Instructions (PDF)
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
What's In The Kit
Weld-On 1978-88 GM Metric Caliper BracketPart # 91641010Qty x 2
Speedway Pro-Lite Vented Brake Rotor, 11.75 x .81 InchPart # 91031906Qty x 2
Speedway Stamped Steel Disc Brake Rotor Hat, 3 Inch OffsetPart # 91031904Qty x 2
Rotor Hat Bolt Set, 1/8 Inch ThickPart # 8352500071-1/8Qty x 2
Speedway GM Brake Caliper Slider Slide BoltPart # 8352300542Qty x 4
Speedway 156 1978-Up D154 GM Metric Brake PadsPart # 9191562Qty x 2
IMCA Approved 1978-88 GM Metric LH Brake Caliper, 7/16-20 InletPart # 91031045-LQty x 1
IMCA Approved 1978-88 GM Metric RH Brake Caliper, 7/16-20 InletPart # 91031045-RQty x 1
Instruct Sheet-Brake KitPart # 910319INSTQty x 1
More Like This
Weld-On Rear Disc Brake Kit, 1978-88 GM Caliper, 1.59 Inch Backspace
Basic Weld-On Rear Disc Brake Kit for 1978-88 GM Caliper, 1.59 In BS
Weld-On Rear Disc Brake Kit, 1969-77 GM Caliper, 3 Inch Backspace
Basic Weld-On Rear Disc Brake Kit for 1969-77 GM Caliper, 3 In BS
Basic Weld-On Rear Disc Brake Kit for 1978-88 GM Caliper, 3 In BS
Brake Kit: 1969-77 GM Caliper to Early Ford Spindles, Chevy B-P
Front Disc Brake Kit GM Metric/Mustang II to 1949-54 Chevy, 5 on 4-1/2
Weld-On Rear Disc Brake Kit, 1969-77 GM Caliper, 1.96 Inch Backspace
Disc Brake Kit for Total Performance Spindles, 5 x 4-1/2
Mustang II Disc Brake Kit for Early Chevy Spindles, 5 on 4-1/2 Inch
Q & A
Today on our 410 sprint car, the guys are assembling the front axle. The process can be a bit messy, but the finished product is so worth it!
Learn how to assemble one of our bolt on nine-inch Ford disc brake kits in this step-by-step guide.
Learn how to assemble a rear axle assembly as we put together ours for the 410 Sprint Car Build. Our team of builders continues to make progress on the car!
Advantages of using Speedway Motors weld-on rear disc brake kit for a Ford Nine-Inch rear end. Learn some tips for installation. This kit includes IMCA approved brake calipers.
In this Tech Tip, John responds to a customer request for our recommendations on brake kits for his ’56 F100.
In this Tech Tip, John confirms a customer question regarding the need for a proportioning valve on his ’55 F100 brake build.
Jeff installs a Wilwood 12.19" Front Disc Brake Kit to his 1967 Chevelle. Read more on the caliper bracket assembly and brake rotor setup.