Tremec GM TKX 5-Speed to 1949-53 Ford Flathead Engine Conversion
Ford Flathead V8, TKO, 5-Speed Transmission Speeds, 600 ft./lbs. Torque
- This all-in-one kit is designed to adapt a Tremec 5 speed manual transmission to your 1949-53 Ford Flathead engine
- The Tremec TKX 5 speed RWD manual transmission is capable of handling up to 600 lb-ft of torque making this perfect for even heavily modified flathead engines
- .68 overdrive 5th gear for smooth cruising on the highway
- Adapter bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and hardware are included to simplify installation
- The flywheel provided in this kit is for the 1949-53 Ford Flathead engine application. The 1949-53 engine application will require this kit to utilize the OEM 3" adapter bellhousing (provided by the installer)
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
This all-in-one kit is designed to adapt the versatile TREMEC TKX 5-speed transmission to your 1949-53 Ford Flathead engine. Serving up 600 lb-ft of torque capacity, along with excellent shifting performance and extreme durability. This kit includes everything you need for installation*.
- Sold as a complete conversion kit
- TKX 5-speed RWD manual transmission to 1949-53 Flathead
- .68 overdrive 5th gear for smooth cruising on the highway
- *See note below regarding 1949-53 OEM 3" adapter
- 24.07" Casting length from tranmission front face to tail
- TREMEC GM TKX 5-speed RWD manual transmission (91029044)
- GM Manual Transmission to Flathead V8 adapter (91628912)
- Flathead clutch release bearing (91025620)
- Release bearing adapter (91629517)
- Pilot bearing (91629520)
- Flathead 10-1/2" long style clutch pressure plate 910-15635
- Flathead 10-1/2" clutch disc (91015660)
- Flathead clutch release fork (91675150)
- Flathead clutch shaft release pin (91675151)
- Flathead clutch release shaft (91675101)
- Clutch release spring (91675152)
- Flathead steel flywheel (91015629)
- ARP flywheel bolts (1012002802)
- ARP pressure plate bolts (1011502201)
Note: Flywheel provided in this kit is for the 1949-53 Ford Flathead engine application. The 1949-53 engine application will require this kit to utilize the OEM 3" adapter bellhousing (to be provided by the installer - not currently available from Speedway Motors).
The end result is superior shift-ability with smooth shifts at high RPMs through the use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings. At the same time, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) performance is optimized with a gear layout to best control stress levels, while providing structural stiffness with a ribbed, 3-piece aluminum housing. Durability is further optimized with oversized gear widths, gaskets at all flanges and caged needle bearings in all gear positions.
Whether restoring or upgrading a classic muscle car or a 1930s-era roadster coupe, the new TREMEC TKX 5-speed RWD manual transmission delivers a top-quality drivetrain solution.
- 600 lb.-ft. of torque capacity; capable of engines speeds of 8,000 RPMs with shifts at 7,500 RPMs.
- Designed for multiple applications with three shifter locations.
- Compact, end-loaded design provides clearance in most transmission tunnels without floor modifications.
- Increased case strength with three-piece aluminum housing provides outstanding structural stiffness.
- Gaskets at all flanges simplifies installation and eliminates fluid leaks.
- Superior shift-ability through use of multi-cone synchronizers and hybrid synchronizer rings made of sintered bronze and carbon
- All gears and shafts made from special grade steel (ASTM 4615), providing increased torque carrying capacity.
- Equipped with a high-performance short-throw billet aluminum shifter that isolates road noise, while providing clean, crisp shifts.
- Robust design with internal three-rail shift system and steel shift forks.
- Wide gear width increases gear life and torque capacity.
- Integrated GM transmission mount pattern
- Gear Ratios
- 1st - 3.27, 2nd - 1.98, 3rd - 1.34, 4th - 1.00, 5th - 0.72, Rev - 3.00
- Tremec # TCET18083
- 600 lb.-ft. torque capacity
- Speedo Type - mechanical or electric
- Spline Count - 26 Input, 31 Output
- Gear Ratios - 3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.00, .68, Reverse 3.00
916-28912 Instructions (PDF)
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
What's In The Kit
Speedway GM Manual Trans to Flathead V8 Adapter, Ford ClutchPart # 91628912Qty x 1
Speedway 1935-48 Ford Flathead V8 Clutch Release BearingsPart # 91025620Qty x 1
Release Bearing Adapter, Flathead to GM T-5Part # 91629517Qty x 1
Pilot Bearing, GM Transmission to FlatheadPart # 91629520Qty x 1
Flathead 10-1/2 Inch Long-Style Clutch Pressure PlatePart # 91015635Qty x 1
Flathead 10-1/2 In Clutch Disc, 1-1/8 In 26-Spline, GM, T-5 TransPart # 91015660Qty x 1
1932-48 Ford Flathead Clutch Release Fork, 85, 90, and 95 HP CarsPart # 91675150Qty x 1
1928-48 Ford Flathead Clutch Shaft Release PinPart # 91675151Qty x 1
1940-48 Ford Flathead Clutch Release ShaftPart # 91675101Qty x 1
1935-52 Ford Internal Clutch Release Spring, Bearing HubPart # 91675152Qty x 1
Speedway 1949-1953 Ford Flathead V8 Billet Steel FlywheelPart # 91015629Qty x 1
ARP 200-2802 Chevy Flywheel BoltsPart # 1012002802Qty x 1
ARP 150-2201 Ford 289-460V8 Pressure Plate Bolt KitPart # 1011502201Qty x 1
Bolt Kit Conversion for T5Part # 91028908.1Qty x 1
TREMEC TCET18083 TKX Wide Ratio 5-Speed Chevy Manual TransmissionPart # 91029044Qty x 1
Q & A
Speedway Motors employee Pat O. is back to talk Ford Automatic OverDrive Kickdown brackets and kits.
This new steel bellhousing from Speedway Motors is made for everyone who wants to run three pedals without spending a fortune or relying on a crusty original.
Finally, Project Chevelle gets a real hot rod engine under its hood! And what about that flimsy old column shift three-speed? We've got that covered too.
Pat talks about our LS flexplate options.
Tech write-up and a video of a Lokar shifter install on an automatic transmission.
Learn how to install our new Muscle Car Shifters from Lokar.
Follow along as Jeff installs an early 700R4 transmission for the big block in his 1967 Chevelle. See how this unit is upgraded and converted to a later 30 spline style.