Chevy Front Axle Steering & Brake Kit, 48 Inch Axle
Universal Fit, Straight Axle Front Suspension Type, Stock Height Suspension Height Adjustment
- Budget friendly steering and brake kit for 48" kingpin center to center axles with 49-53 Chevy kingpin boss
- One piece forged 4140 steel spindles with kingpins already fit, modeled after '49-'54 Chevy car
- Features 9-1/4" vented rotors with your choice of wheel bolt pattern, 5 on 4-1/2" (1/2" wheels studs) or 5 on 4-3/4" (7/16" wheel studs)
- Standard '78-'88 GM metric style calipers offer a 2-1/2" bore with 7-16"-20 inlet
- 7/16"-20 to AN3 banjo bolt adapter kit included for calipers
Speedway's exclusive steering & brake kits save you time and money by combining all necessary parts into one part number. Each kit includes brake kit, spindles, dust caps, spindle nuts, AN3 caliper fittings, Rubber Brake Lines, kingpins, flat steering arms, tie rod assembly and hardware.
For 48" kingpin-to-kingpin axles. Traditional steering arm for left front wheel NOT included with Traditional steering kit.
- Speedway 1949-1954 Chevy Spindles
- One piece forged 4140 steel
- Modeled after the 49-54 Chevy passenger car spindles
- Steering arms may be mounted to the top or bottom of the spindle
- Standard king pins fit to spindles
- Speedway 9-1/4" Brake Kit
- 9-1/4" Mustang II rotors
- 5 x 4-1/2" or 5 x 4-3/4" bolt patterns
- Wheel studs - 1/2" Fine (4-1/2" BP), 7/16" Fine (4-3/4" BP)
- Hub flange (hat) diameter - 5.74"
- GM Metric '78-'88 calipers, 2-1/2" piston
- 7/16" banjo bolt to -3 AN line adapter kit
- Traditional or Cross Steering Kit
- Flat plate steering arms
- 5/8" tie rod steering link
- 5/8" standard heim joint rod ends
- Seals-It 5/8" rod end seals
- 5/8" steel cone heim spacers
- Chevy 1949-54 spindles are specifically designed for use on tube axles. A shorter, thicker axle stub makes this a slightly stronger spindle ideal for use with heavier street rods.
- Ford 1928-48 spindles are generally your best choice when using an original Ford axle or an aftermarket I-beam axle.
Cross Steering vs. Traditional Steering
Traditional steering provides an original, period look, but will only work in these applications:
- Four bar setup with '68-'73 Mustang box
- Split wishbone or hairpin radius rod with reversed Corvair or '48-'56 Ford Puckup steering box
- Parallel Steering Set-Up Guide
Cross steering (using a Vega box) is the preferred method for nearly all cross spring, beam axle suspensions. Ford used this design from 1935-on.
- Less bumpsteer
- More comfortable steering column angle
- Frees up foot pedal / bellhousing room
- Cleaner vehicle profile
- Cross Steering Guide
If you are wanting our chrome option, please note that not everything comes in chrome.
These items come in chrome
- Chrome Tie Rod/Drag Link Sleeve
- Chrome Steel Jam Nuts
- Chevy Flat Plate Steering Arms, Chrome
- Rod End Bolt Kit
- Steering Arm Bolt Kit
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
What's In The Kit
More Like This
Chevy Front Axle Steering & Brake Kit, 46 Inch Axle
Ford Front Axle Steering & Brake Kit, 48 Inch Axle
Ford Wilwood Front Brake & Steering Kits - 48 Inch Axle
HD Gasser Straight Axle Chevy Spindle/Brake Kit 56-1/2 Hub-to-Hub
Chevy Wilwood Front Brake & Steering Kits, 48 Inch Axle
Ford Front Axle Steering & Brake Kit, 46 Inch Axle
Steering and Brake Kit for 48 Inch Ford Axle
Gasser Straight Axle, Chevy Spindle and Brake Kits, 58-1/2 Hub-to-Hub
HD Gasser Straight Axle Chevy Spindle/Brake Kit 54-1/2 Hub-to-Hub
HD Gasser Straight Axle Chevy Spindle/Brake Kit 58-1/2 Hub-to-Hub