MSD 6462 6BTM CDI Ignition Control Unit
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
The 6 BTM cd ignition is ideal for engines with a turbo or supercharger. Not only will the engine benefit from MSDs full power CD sparks, but there is also an adjustable boost/timing retard circuit to prevent detonation.When your turbo or blower forces the air/fuel mixture into the engine, the cylinder pressure inside the combustion chamber increases. The result is a great increase in power but this can also lead to detonation that can result in severe engine damage. The 6 BTM CDI lets you dial away detonation by retarding the timing in relation to the boost pressure.A dash mounted control knob lets you adjust the amount of timing retard. It can be adjusted from 0 degrees per pound of boost to 3 degrees per pound (up to 15 degrees).The 6 BTM also shares the Soft Touch Rev Control of the 6AL Ignition for overrev protection. The BTM is supplied with rubber shock mounts and rpm modules for 3,000, 6,000, 7,000 and 8,000 rpm.
- Multiple spark, capacitive discharge ignition control
- Retard the ignition timing 1 degrees-3 degrees per pound of boost, maximum of 15 degrees, with dash mounted adjustable control knob
- Multiple sparks for 20° of crankshaft rotation
- Works on 12 - 18 volt electrical system
- Accepts breaker points, amplifier and magnetic pickup trigger inputs
- 470 primary voltage output to coil
- 110 millijoules per spark up to 15,000 RPM
- Built-in Soft Touch Rev Control is adjustable with RPM Modules
- Programmable for 4, 6, or 8-cylinders by cutting red/blue wire loops
- Supplied with rubber shock mounts
- Supplied with 3,000, 6,000, 7,000 & 8,000 RPM Module
- CARB E.O. Approved
547-6462 Instructions (PDF)
Learn more about determining the proper MSD ignition control box for your application by reading our tech article. The Differences Between 6 Series MSD Ignition Control Units.
|Operating Voltage:||+10-18 VDC Negative Ground|
5 Amps-5,000 RPM, 10 Amps- 10,000 RPM
| RPM Range:|| 15,000 RPM with 14.4 Volts|
| Spark Duration:|| 20 Degree Crankshaft Rotation|
| Energy Output Max:|| 105-115 mJ per Spark|
| Weight and Size:|| 3 lbs, 8"L x 4"W x 2.25"H|
| Voltage Output Max:|
|Primary:|| 460-480 Volts|
| Secondary:||45,000 Volts (Blaster Coil)|
More Like This
MSD 6214 Programmable Midget CDI Ignition System
MSD 6520 Digital 6-Plus Ignition Control
MSD 5520 Street Fire CDI Ignition
MSD 6632 6 HVC CDI Ignition Box with Soft Touch Rev Contol
MSD 6201 6A Ignition Control
MSD 6425 6AL Digital Ignition Control Box
MSD 62153 MSD DIS-4 Plus High Output
MSD 6631 MSD 6 HVC, Professional Race - Rev Control Deutsch Connectors
MSD 7730 - Power Grid System - Controller Only
MSD 7805 MSD 8-Plus Ignition Control
Q & A
Looking for an easy performance upgrade to your ignition system? MSD's line of Ignition Control Boxes offer extreme improvements to drivability and high rpm applications. Here's a look at the differences between the 6 series line-up.
Want to upgrade the HEI your old motor came with? Here is some advice!
Speedway Tech Zach discusses the Pertronix Ignitor III conversion in his '55 Chevy.
In preparation to transplant a 430hp 383 stroker into Project Chevelle, Zach R. made up a set of plug wires for the car. To keep it nice and tidy they needed to be routed just right, be the perfect length and not distract from the engine!
Kevin W. walks through each step of installing a new alternator bracket on a 454 Big Block Chevy.