Speedway Motors is America’s Oldest Speed Shop® and has been a trusted source for high performance parts for street rods and racing for over 66 years. Speedway Motors has built a reputation for providing friendly expert advice and superior service. Whether you are racing, building a street rod or restoring an old classic, Speedway Motors has the performance parts you need – in stock and ready to ship today.
Carson Smith has had a life long love of racing. He started his racing career just out of high school as a crew member on his father, “Speedy” Bill Smith’s, Speedway Motors 4x sprint cars. With drivers like Jan Opperman and Lloyd Beckman steering the 4x cars, Carson learned valuable lessons about the intensity, attitude and team work required to win in racing.
With a degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Nebraska, Carson became involved with many forms of racing and automotive design. Working in the family business, he designed many of Speedway’s street rod kits including the Modern A, Track T and the ’32 Lowboy. The ’32 Lowboy was on the cover of Hot Rod magazine twice, first in February 1985 and again in June 1985. He led the design team that developed Speedway’s IMCA Modified Kit. The kit was featured on the January 1992 cover of Stock Car Racing magazine. During the ‘92 race season, Danny Wallace campaigned that cover car and won the 1992 IMCA Modified National Championship! Carson also assisted in solving some of the engineering challenges that made the extremely successful MacKichan-Schulz Streamliner possible.
Following in his father’s footsteps Carson started his own sprint car team in 1982. With Lloyd Beckman as the driver. They were a force from the beginning winning the first night and easily winning the point championship at Midwest Speedway. Over the next 5 years Don Droud Jr and Carson won several track championships at Eagle and Midwest Speedway.
- Professional Mechanical Engineer
- Crew Chief of multiple winning race teams.
- Team owner and business professional.
- Good overall knowledge of anything HOT ROD specializing in vintage parts and procedures.
- Good troubleshooter for brakes, suspensions, and most other custom applications.
- Good knowledge of old Ford Parts, and experience as a builder makes Carson a good go-to person for questions on most any hot rod application.
- Metal work and fabrication experience.
- Strong knowledge pertaining to modified, Stock Car, and hobby stock cars.
- Great with internal engine components, local racing class rules etc.
Carson's vast knowledge and unforgettable experiences pertaining to the automotive industry make him a force to be reckoned with when it comes to building, designing, and leading your next project to victory!