Heidts Universal Multi-Fit 60 Econo Mustang II Crossmember Kit
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Using this Universal Multi-Fit Mustang II Crossmember Kit you can now adapt the very popular Mustang II suspension with HEIDTS correct geometry into almost any application. The crossmember and spring towers are made oversized to allow trimming and fitting to your particular frame size. Templates and instructions, designed for a home builder to install, walk you through the entire installation to insure that you get correct anti-dive and geometry.
- Designed to fit frames with outside to outside frame widths of 27-1/2" to 33-1/2"
- Finished track width will be 60"(hub to hub)
- Constructed of 7-gauge steel
- Mustang II cross members using stock spindles will drop the stock ride height 3-4”
- One-Piece Shock Cups are T.I.G. welded in place and have anti-dive built in. First class, for your car.
- Vertical Inner Uprights. This is the strongest design available, with twice the weld area. This will keep your frame from twisting!
- Main crossmember made from only 2 formed pieces for maximum strength and accurate fit.
- Lower control arm pivot tubes and gussets are NOT included
- Works with both manual or power rack and pinions
- Requires use of 2" inner tie rod extensions
- Features a raw welded finish
WARNING: This is a universal crossmember to be used with Mustang II style components. It is NOT designed for any specific car or truck. You will need fabrication and welding skils to complete the installation.
- Additional items may be needed to complete installation. You may want to include our Mustang II ride height adjusters (91034444) for installation with these crossmembers to fine tune your final ride height up to 2". You must use 2" inner tie rod extensions for proper steering geometry with these crossmembers.
- This crossmember requires the use of rack extensions (91034345) for the manual or the power rack. Further, rack spacers are also required when a power rack is used. Please consider item #910-34346 or 910-1023.
- Applications where the vehicle has fenders that mount directly on top of the frame, the fenders will require extensive modification to allow clearance for the upper cross member section.
- Complete installation may require you to purchase corresponding A-arms, shocks, springs, brake kit, spindles, and steering rack and pinion.
Universal Applications: 60? Track Width:
- 1953-79 Ford F100 Pickups
- 1955-59 (second series) Chevy Pickups
Note: Most vehicles will use the standard 56” track width. Ford F1 pickups should use the 58” kit. Ford F100 (’53-’56) and 2nd series ’54-’59 Chev pickups should use the 60” kit.
NotesOverall Benefit: In a word, "handling". While installing a Mustang II can look like a lot of work, in reality, the improved handling and ride quality are worth the effort. Combine that with improved stopping ability due to numerous brake options and it becomes more a question of “Why wouldn’t you?”. The independent suspension will give you a much better ride because there is double the suspension travel. A stock axle will give you maybe 2-1/2” of total travel vs. a Mustang II which will give you about 4-1/2”- 5” of travel. There are multiple spring rates available to accommodate varied applications and the rack and pinion steering is much more responsive than a standard steering box.
Drop: This varies and is dependent on application and options. Most kits drop the vehicle by 3-4”. Drop spindles and running lower profile tires than stock also adds to the amount of drop that can be achieved.
Track Width: You may want to mount custom wheels to your Mustang II conversion and determining proper track width for your application is essential for figuring correct backspacing and overall ride stance. Standard wheel base is 56-1/2” with a 60” version available for trucks. The various options for brake kits will vary this somewhat and some kits can add roughly 2” to the overall track width. Narrowed arms are available to move the wheel in by 5/8” on each side. See the link below for various track widths with different options.
Note: Mustang conversion kits are not available for the Model A or 1932 Ford. These cars, because of their direct mounting low fenders, require modifying the Ford IFS design by relocating the upper control arm inner pivot to clear the fender, causing a very noticeable amount of bumpsteer!
Assembly Note: Either manual or power steering can be used with these crossmembers. The passenger side mount has a slot that will take the later model power rack. With all Mustang II aftermarket crossmembers, spacers and longer bolts must be used with the later (Fox-body) power rack.
Rack mounts are incorporated into the crossmember design and rotate the rack back 20° to get the input shaft lower. Stock, manual, power racks, or later model Mustang II or T-Bird power racks can be used. The rack is positioned so the bellows will clear most aftermarket full A-Arms. When using crossmembers with our "power" steering rack, you may also need (2) rack spacers (9101023). (These spacers are included with our Mustang II suspension kits.)
The holes for the lower control arms are 1/2″ (stock). If you will use tubular lower A-Arms instead of the stock lower arms, the lower pivot holes will have to be drilled out to 5/8″. Lower control arm pivot tubes and gussets are not included.
These crossmembers will work with stock control arms. If used with stock arms, these will require strut rods and strut mounts for installation. Speedway crossmembers DO NOT include strut rod mounting brackets. We recommend either our offset or no-strut control arms or the tubular strut rod (91034322).
More Like This
Heidts Universal 56-1/2 Inch Econo Crossmember
Speedway Mustang II Crossmember for 1948-1952 Ford Pick-Up Frame, Weld-On
Garage Sale-Speedway Mustang II Crossmember-34-35 Chevy-STD-Economy
Speedway Mustang II Crossmember-1937-39 Chevy Pickup Frame, Kit-Deluxe
Speedway Mustang II Crossmember Kit-1940-1946 Chevy Pickup Frame-DLX
Heidts 1953-1956 Ford F-100 Truck Economy Mustang II Crossmember
Heidts Mustang II Crossmember for 64-70 Ford Mustang Frame, Weld-On
Speedway 1933-34 Ford Mustang II Crossmember
Speedway 1953-1956 Ford F-100 Truck Mustang II Crossmember
Speedway 1941-1948 Ford Mustang II Deluxe Steel Crossmember