Currie 1968-72 Nova Multi-leaf 9 Inch Rear Axle
- This product is discontinued.
- This item ships directly from the manufacturer. It may take an additional business days for Currie Enterprises to ship this item.
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
- This item ships via Ground Shipping only. Expedited and Air shipping options are not available.
- This item 91026872 is made to order. It will be shipped from our warehouse when it is produced.
Build Your KitYou're almost there! This kit has an option or two for you to select. Let us know which options you want for your new kit.
Now you can have the strength and serviceability that Ford drivers have enjoyed for years underneath your GM vehicle. Currie Crate Rearends are built using the stock overall width, pinion offest, and mounting points of your original rear axle housing, making it a 100% bolt-in upgrade.
- All new 9-Plus heavy duty housing
- Replacement for 1968-72 Nova/Chevy II chassis
- Heavy duty reproductions of the GM multi leaf spring pads installed
- 31 spline performance axle shafts
- 60" width
- Torino-style late model large bearing housing ends
- Third member studs installed
- Axles drilled for stock 5 on 4-3/4" wheel bolt pattern
- 7/16"-20 wheel studs pressed into axles
- 1/4” thick heavy duty bearing retainer plates
- Tapered Timken style wheel bearings pressed onto axle
Note: Works with Speedway rear disc brake kits, 11" Ford Explorer disc brakes, and Wilwood disc brakes. Third member sold separately.
To learn more about Currie's 9+ rearends, check out these Frequently Asked Questions on 9-Plus Housing (Link)
When installing new axles in rearends with posi traction differentials, be sure to install the driver's side axle first to keep the splines properly aligned. Failure to do so may move the two splined gears out of alignment, and it may be difficult to install the driver's side axle properly if the passenger side axle is already installed.
If installation of passenger side axle is done first it may require two people when installing the driver's side axle, with both parties rotating reach axle until splines are in line and the driver's side axle fully sides into the housing.
To ensure you get the most out of your new 9 Inch components, Currie recommends that you perform a proper break-in process:
- Use a name brand mineral-based gear oil, preferably 85w140 (Extremely high quality synthetic oils may be used once break-in process has been successfully performed)
- Place vehicle on jack stands and let the rearend spin while the vehicle idles - run transmission in both forward and reverse periodically throughout the process
- Continue to run the rearend until the pinion gets hot (place hand on bottom of the differential housing to verify this)
- Proper break-in allows:
- The ability to install new axles and hit the track the same day without worry
- Extended life for rearend components
- Keeps the quality and life of your gear oil
Note: If you find that your rearend is running somewhat "tight" be sure to add Currie's 9+ Friction Modifier to "loosen up". If a more aggressive performance is desired, Friction Modifier is not needed.
What's In The Kit
9" Housing for 1968-72 Nova w/ Multi-leaf SpringsPart # 91026872.1Qty x 1
Long & Short Axle PairPart # 91026872.2Qty x 1
More Like This
Currie CE-GMN6872SX 1968-72 GM X-Body 9 Inch Ford Rearend, Mono-Leaf
Currie CE-GMF7081X 1970-81 GM F-Body 9 Inch Ford Crate Rearend Kit
Currie CE-GMF6769SX 1967-69 GM F-Body 9 Inch Ford Rearend, Mono-Leaf
Currie CE-GMA6872X 1968-72 GM A-Body 9 Inch Ford Crate Rearend Kit
Currie CE-GMF6769MX 1967-69 GM F-Body 9 Inch Ford Rearend, Multi-Leaf
Currie CE-GMB5557X 1955-57 Chevy 9 Inch Ford Crate Rearend Kit
Currie CE-FDM6466X 1964-66 Mustang 9 Inch Ford Replacement Rear Axle
Currie CE-FDM6770X 1967-70 Mustang 9 Inch Ford Replacement Rear Axle
Currie CE-FDM7993X5 1979-93 Fox Mustang 9 Inch Ford Rear Axle
Speedway Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rearend Axle Housing Kit, 54 In. Width
Q & A
Pat talks about our 67-72 pickup rear end housing and some of the options we have for it.
Eagle Motorsports shows off their premier 3-spoke Micro Hubs.
Eagle Motorsports, Inc. put together a how-to video on installing their Stallard SST Front Axle Assembly.
Eagle Motorsports, Inc. put together a how-to video on installing their Stallard SST Rear Axle Assembly.
A routine weekly maintenance checklist to perform between each race in order to keep a clean and efficient race car at the track.
In this Tech Tip, John responds to a customer looking to upgrade the 8” stock differential in his Cougar to a 9” open diff.
We will show you the differences among traditional I-beam and tube axles and suspension designs used on hot rods; the differences between cross and traditional steering, measuring for springs, what spindles to choose, and much more.