Currie 98129 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 31 Spline Axle, 29 Inch
Ford 9", 31 Spline Count, 29.00" Overall Length, Dual: 5 on 4.5"/4.75" Bolt Pattern, Steel
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
These Currie axles have 4" of spline which will allow you to cut a maximum of 3" of the spline off to obtain the correct length. This is perfect for small shops and will allow you to build your own custom width rear end easily. Axle length is measured from the flange to the end of the splines. All CTF axles come with a full installation package which includes one set of five 1/2"-20 Ford style wheel studs, one set of five 7/16"-20 Chevy style wheel studs, one set-20 tapered roller bearing with race, seal, & collar, and one heavy duty late model large bearing style retainer plate.
- 9 Inch Ford
- 31 Spline
- 29 Inch Long
- 20-30% stronger than factory axles - increased depth allows for flex without breaking
- Drilled for both 5 on 4-1/2" and 5 on 4-3/4" wheel bolt patterns
- Includes both 7/16"-20 and 1/2"-20 wheel studs
- Compatible with "Big Ford - New Style" housing and brakes with 2-1/2" offset
- Includes a set-20 bearing and retainer you will have to press on
- Axle length is from the flange to the end of the splines
- Axles sold each, not as a pair
When installing new axles in rearends with posi traction differentials, be sure to install the driver's side axle first to keep the splines properly aligned. Failure to do so may move the two splined gears out of alignment, and it may be difficult to install the driver's side axle properly if the passenger side axle is already installed.
If installation of passenger side axle is done first it may require two people when installing the driver's side axle, with both parties rotating reach axle until splines are in line and the driver's side axle fully sides into the housing.
When cutting axles to desired lengths Currie recommends:
- Normal steel cutting machinery (cold saw, band saw, chop saw, etc.)
- Using a sleeve around the axle such as a small piece of PVC tubing - this allows:
- The axle to be spun in place while being cut
- A perimeter cut around the outer diameter assisting in keeping the cut square
- Avoiding the build-up of too much heat by doing a straight cut (like a knife though a stick of butter)
To ensure you get the most out of your new 9 Inch components, Currie recommends that you perform a proper break-in process:
- Use a name brand mineral-based gear oil, preferably 85w140 (Extremely high quality synthetic oils may be used once break-in process has been successfully performed)
- Place vehicle on jack stands and let the rearend spin while the vehicle idles - run transmission in both forward and reverse periodically throughout the process
- Continue to run the rearend until the pinion gets hot (place hand on bottom of the differential housing to verify this)
- Proper break-in allows:
- The ability to install new axles and hit the track the same day without worry
- Extended life for rearend components
- Keeps the quality and life of your gear oil
Note: If you find that your rearend is running somewhat "tight" be sure to add Currie's 9+ Friction Modifier to "loosen up". If a more aggressive performance is desired, Friction Modifier is not needed.
More Like This
Currie 98126 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 31 Spline Axle, 26 Inch
Currie 98135 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 31 Spline Axle, 35 Inch
Currie 98132 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 31 Spline Axle, 32 Inch
Currie CE-98129-26375 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 26-3/8 Inch
Currie CE-98129-28625 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 28-5/8 Inch
Currie CE-98129-27375 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 27-3/8 Inch
Currie CE-98132-29625 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 29-5/8 Inch
Currie CE-98129-28375 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 28-1/4 Inch
Winters Performance 5069 Double Splined Solid Axle, 31 Spline
Winters Performance Double Splined Gun Drilled Axle, 31 Spline
Q & A
Pat talks about our 67-72 pickup rear end housing and some of the options we have for it.
Eagle Motorsports shows off their premier 3-spoke Micro Hubs.
Eagle Motorsports, Inc. put together a how-to video on installing their Stallard SST Front Axle Assembly.