Chevy Wilwood Front Brake & Steering Kits, 48 Inch Axle
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Speedways exclusive steering & brake kits for 1949-54 Chevy spindles save you time and money by combining all necessary parts into one part number. Each kit includes premuim Wilwood brake components, spindles, flat steering arms, tie rod assembly and hardware. Hubs are drilled for both 4-1/2" and 4-3/4" bolt patterns. Must be used with a 15" or larger wheel. For use on cars up to 2800 pounds with rear discs or on cars up to 2400 pounds with rear drums. Kits can be used with either manual or power boost master cylinders.
- Traditional or cross steering
- Chrome or plain steering arms and tie rod cross bar
Features these Wilwood components:
- 4-piston Forged Billet Dynalite Calipers
- 10-3/4" diameter x .380" thick solid steel rotors - black finish
- Lightweight clear-anodized aluminum hubs
Item DetailsFits 48" kingpin-to-kingpin axles.
Cross Steering vs. Traditional Steering
Traditional steering provides an original, period look, but will only work in these applications:
- Four bar setup with '68-'73 Mustang box
- Split wishbone or hairpin radius rod with reversed Corvair or '48-'56 Ford Puckup steering box
- Parallel Steering Set-Up Guide
Cross steering (using a Vega box) is the preferred method for nearly all cross spring, beam axle suspensions. Ford used this design from 1935-on.
- Less bumpsteer
- More comfortable steering column angle
- Frees up foot pedal / bellhousing room
- Cleaner vehicle profile
- Cross Steering Guide
- Chevy-style spindles are specifically designed for use on tube axles. A shorter, thicker axle stub makes this a slightly stronger spindle ideal for use with heavier street rods. Ford-style spindles are generally your best choice when using an original Ford axle or an aftermarket I-beam axle.
- For use on cars up to 2800 pounds with rear discs or on cars up to 2400 pounds with rear drums.
- If using steel wheels with this kit, you will also need to purchase (2) steel shims part 835-3007500. These shims will prevent steel wheelsfrom galling the aluminum hub.
- Rubber brake hoses generally cannot be adapted to Wilwood calipers. The caliper inlet fitting is a 1/8-27 NPT. The preferred method is to use steel adapter fittings at the caliper, either straight, 45 or 90 degree and enough steel braided line to allow for full suspension travel and turning radius, lock to lock.
What's In The KitEach kit from Speedway Motors is carefully packaged and delivered right to your door. Below is a list of all the items you should expect to receive when you order this kit. Some of these items may also be available for sale individually if you're here looking for replacement parts.
More Like This
Ford Wilwood Front Brake & Steering Kits - 48 Inch Axle
Gasser Straight Axle, Chevy Spindle and Brake Kits, 52-1/2 Hub-to-Hub
Gasser Straight Axle, Chevy Spindle and Brake Kits, 56-1/2 Hub-to-Hub
Gasser Straight Axle, Chevy Spindle and Brake Kits, 58-1/2 Hub-to-Hub
Gasser Straight Axle, Chevy Spindle and Brake Kits, 54-1/2 Hub-to-Hub
Gasser Straight Axle, Ford Spindle and Brake Kits, 56-1/4 Hub-to-Hub
Gasser Straight Axle, Ford Spindle and Brake Kits, 58-1/4 Hub-to-Hub
Gasser Straight Axle, Ford Spindle and Brake Kits, 52-1/4 Hub-to-Hub
Gasser Straight Axle, Ford Spindle and Brake Kits, 54-1/4 Hub-to-Hub
Q & A
Videos & Articles
Speedway Motors and Classic Trucks joined teams to build a 1952 Chevy truck for the newest Week to Wicked build. Jason and Tom talk about the Speedway Motors Mustang II front suspension kit used on the build.