Bendix Style Brakes for 1937-48 Ford Spindles, 12 x 1-3/4 Inch
12.00" Overall Diameter, 1.75" Overall Thickness, 3.38" x 3.38" Bolt Hole Pattern, Steel
- Self-energizing 12" x 1 3/4" or 12" x 2" backing plate assembly complete with shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware
- Fits either the front or rear of '37-'48 Ford cars with original style rear axles and '37-'47 1/2 ton pickups
- Brake assemblies can be used with Buick drums and '48 hubs
- Offered here also is a new iron 12" x 2" brake drum with 5"x 5 1/2" bolt circle
If you want the early look but are reluctant to use old non-energizing drum brakes, we have just what you need. Our 100% new self-energizing backing plate assemblies come complete with shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware. Fits either the front or rear of 1937-48 Ford cars or 1937-47 Ford half-ton pickups with original style rear axle.
These brake assemblies can be used with Buick drums and 1948 Ford hubs, or we also offer new iron 12" x 2" brake drums (910-65400) with 5 on 5-1/2" bolt circle which are impossible to find elsewhere.
- Wheel Cylinder Inlet: 7/16"-20 straight thread
- NOT 7/16"-20 IFF
- Inlet fitting will require a sealing washer or O-ring style fitting
- Bolt Pattern: 3-3/8" center-to-center both horizontal and vertically
- If using Model A or B spindles the holes will have to be elongated inward to fit the narrower bolt pattern
- We recommend use of adapter rings (916-31928) to keep the spindle centered in the backing plate
- Spindle modification is necessary when installing these backing plates. Up to 1/4" of material may need to be removed on the top of the spindle. (Now available are ready-to-use spindles that feature this modification as # 910-32111)
- Our flat plate steering arms WILL NOT fit this backing plate.
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Q & A
Tim talks about the options we have for early Ford drum brakes.
Tim talks about the difference between juice brakes and self-energizing brakes.
You can slip these Finned Aluminum Buick Brake Drums on to any one of our 1937-48 Ford hubs or 12x2 Bendix brakes. No machining. No re-drilling. Not a cover. Just classic hotrod style.
Finned Aluminum "Buick Style" Brake Drums are a great way to add that vintage hot rod style to your Early Ford. Follow along as we install a pair on our '32 Roadster and add some serious hot rod attitude!