American Autowire 510540 Classic Update Kit, 1968-72 Pontiac GTO
68-72 Pontiac GTO, 14 Number of Circuits, Fuse Block Included, Compatible with GM Column
Classic Updates are researched and developed to be the highest quality and most complete vehicle-specific modified restoration harnesses available today. Engineered to provide plenty of room for customization while taking the tedious parts out of the wiring job. Get a head start on your wiring project today!
Classic Wiring Kit Fits:
- 1968-72 Pontiac GTO
Complete Wiring Kit Features:
- A replacement headlight switch with internal 30amp circuit breaker, retention collar nut, adjustable length shaft, and custom knob.
- Standard turn signal and hazard flashers are mounted on fuse panel. A new horn relay is mounted on the main dash harness.
- Fuse box designed to fit in original location with no modifications. All required hardware supplied. New ATO fuse panel allows for easy fuse and circuit breaker accessibility. Harness is laid out and formed to allow for nearly all after market accessories such as; gauge packages, wiper systems, heat and air conditioning systems, etc.
- Original switch connector bodies - an American Autowire exclusive feature
- Steering column connectors can plug directly into most aftermarket steering columns or stock 1968-72 GM columns that use stock GM turn signal switches.
- Accommodates 1968 and 69 models with the factory front cornering lamp option.
- Separate under dash courtesy lamps for use along with your original dome/interior lighting.
- Instrument Cluster wiring is designed with a “cluster harness disconnect” system for easy service and assembly. Original terminals and PC board connector (another American Autowire exclusive) are provided for stock cluster connections. The system will also connect into most popular aftermarket gauges such as AUTOMETER, CLASSIC INSTRUMENTS, DAKOTA DIGITAL, STEWART WARNER, VDO and others.
- Rear body harness assembly plugs into the main harness in the stock location and our longer leads allow for stock or custom routing of the wires. Rear body wiring includes backup light lead wires (with correct lamp sockets for 1969) or connectors, stop and tail light lead wires (with correct lamp sockets for 1969) or connectors, lamp sockets and leads for rear side markers (1968 and 69), terminals and connectors to mate with the license plate connection wire, and fuel tank sender wire with trunk grommet and tank connection. (1970-72 tail lamp bucket harnesses are available separately)
- New floor dimmer switch is provided for ease of installation. Wire length and connection accommodate original floor mount dimmer switch.
- GM bulkhead connectors for the engine and front light wiring are included (another American Autowire exclusive) and allow for easy installation with original or custom routing.
- Engine wiring includes connectors for original points type as well as H.E.I. distributors. Power and tach connectors supplied for GM H.E.I. distributors. Alternator connectors are supplied for GM “SI” series internally regulated alternators. GM “CS” series alternator adapter is available separately.
- Front lighting includes extra long leads that can be routed for stock or optional appearances. All headlight, parking and directional light connectors and terminals are provided along with a switched trigger wire for an electric fan relay (usually recommended with AC).
- Original molded front parking lamp connections for the 1968-70 models (an American Autowire exclusive)
Dash Kit (PDF)
Engine Kit (PDF)
Front Light Kit (PDF)
Gauge Cluster Kit (PDF)
Rear Body Kit (PDF)
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
Q & A
Speedway Motors and Classic Trucks called on Painless Wiring to power their ground up rebuild of a 1952 Chevy truck that was built in celebration of Speedway Motors’ 65th anniversary.
Speedway Motors employee Pat O. talks about the King Bee Headlight and a few conduit options available at Speedway Motors.
Pat shows off how easy wiring your LS can be with our LS wiring kit.
Unbox our most popular wiring harness with Tim.
Speedway Motors employee Pat O. is back to talk Ford Automatic OverDrive Kickdown brackets and kits.
Testing a 2 or 3 wire speed sensor sounds difficult, but these videos show that it actually is quite easy!
Follow along as Jeff installs an early 700R4 transmission for the big block in his 1967 Chevelle. See how this unit is upgraded and converted to a later 30 spline style.