AEM 30-7114 Infinity 358 Programmable Engine Management System
INFINITY SERIES 3 PROGRAMMABLE EFI OVERVIEW
AEM's Infinity Series 3 Programmable ECU platform is designed for popular early- and late-model throttle body and port-injected Ford, GM and Mopar V8s. The Series 3 ECUs are simplified engine controllers designed to run a basic race, marine or crate engine without the need for, or cost of, additional features like variable cam control, Drive-by-Wire throttle control or internal wideband air/fuel sensor controllers.
INFINITY 308 PROGRAMMABLE EFI
The Infinity 308 (PN 30-7113) features two different injector types and two different coil outputs that support three different types of fuel and ignition configurations.
For throttle-body-injected (TBI) and GM multi-port fuel-injected V8s the Infinity 308 includes a single direct-drive ignition coil output to work with a distributor and a single-coil, and 2 peak & hold injector drivers that can drive up to four high-impedance injectors each. Other port injected and single-coil distributed V8 engines like the Ford Windsor can be controlled using the Infinity 308’s 8 high impedance injector drivers and single direct-drive coil output.
For the Chevy LS, the Infinity 308 has 8 high impedance injector drivers and 8 “smart” coil outputs to drive a coil-near-plug ignition system.
Infinity 308 MEFI Upgrade
The Infinity 308 is a great upgrade for users looking to replace their older MEFI-4 system. This system also provides users with an upgrade path to sequential port injection and “smart” coil-near-plug ignition. A Plug & Play Adapter harness to install an Infinity 308 on engines using MEFI controllers is available in our Plug & Play Adapter Harnesses section.
Control Ignition Timing on HEI-Equipped Engines
AEM offers an HEI Adapter Module (30-3829-00) that works with the Infinity Series 3 ECU and allows users to control ignition timing on engines that are using an HEI distributor. This module gives users the power to control ignition timing above 500 RPM using the Infinity Series 3 ECU (the HEI distributor controls timing during start-up and up to 500 RPM). An integrated crank signal conditioner ensures that excessive noise from the crank signal does not affect timing. The module is housed in a 12-pin DTM-style receptacle connector (cee Images/Video tab) and will require integration into the vehicle’s wiring harness. A 12-pin DTM-style plug connector is available and sold separately (PN 35-2633).
INFINITY 358 PROGRAMMABLE EFI
The Infinity 358 (PN 30-7114) is designed to control 2V and 4V Ford Modular engines, late-model Dodge Hemi engines, and other late-model, individual direct-drive “dumb” coil V8 engines with port injection using 8 high impedance injectors.
200MHz Processor and Real-Time Operating System
Late model vehicle ECU’s all run on faster processors. The Infinity ECU is built around a latest-generation 32-bit floating point 200MHz automotive processor and Real-Time Operating System (RTOS), which is capable of processing 400 MIPS (millions of instructions per second). By comparison, common competitive systems typically use 20MHz to 50MHz processors. To our knowledge, the Infinity ECU currently has the fastest processing speed of any aftermarket Motorsports ECU available. This allows the Infinity to do more, faster, in a more stable programming environment.
- The Infinity’s 200MHz processor and RTOS makes the Infinity more responsive, for a better driving experience
- The Infinity’s 200MHz processor and RTOS allows for more accurate ignition timing, which enables an engine to create more power
- The Infinity’s faster processor allows it to perform more computational features with no sacrifice in processing performance
- The Infinity’s RTOS ensures strategic processing with optimized load balancing. This means that tuning one feature will not affect the performance of another feature
SUPPORTED vs. PLUG & PLAY APPLICATIONS
The Infinity ECU delivers comparable tuning functionality regardless of application type. It is available for a wide variety of applications in two distinct forms:
- Infinity Supported applications refer to an engine family or cam/crank pattern for which the Infinity ECU has been tested and validated to run. However, certain ancillary vehicle systems (such as factory instrument clusters, automatic transmissions, and certain drive by wire throttles), may not be supported
- The setup Wizard included with the InfinityTuner user interface software dramatically simplifies initial tuning configuration to help ensure successful initial startup for Supported applications
- Wiring is required for Supported applications. AEM offers Universal wiring harnesses in several iterations and detailed application-specific wiring instructions/schematics (please visit the Buy/Instructions Tab or Infinity Wiring Harnesses Page for more information)
Plug & Play Applications
Infinity Plug & Play applications are available for select vehicles. Plug & Play applications support a vehicle’s engine and most other ancillary vehicle systems and include application-specific startup calibrations. The Infinity Plug & Play harness (sold separately) connects directly into the vehicle’s factory ECU harness and requires no additional wiring.
Designed for the price-conscious racer, the Infinity Series 3 incorporates all of the features necessary to run a high-performance engine including airflow-based VE tuning for fuel injection control, ignition control, Flex Fuel, knock control, boost control, nitrous control, launch control, wheel speed-based traction control and engine protection. The Series 3 is able to communicate with 3rd party dashes and loggers and is AEMnet CANbus enabled to easily communicate with other AEMnet equipped devices. All maps can be password protected. Its latest generation 200MHz processor can process 400 MIPS (Millions of Instructions Per Second).
Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) feedback is supported by adding external wideband controllers through 0-5V analog inputs or via AEMnet CANbus using AEM’s X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR controllers. An Engine History feature is included that records basic engine operating conditions including Run Time, Peak RPM (overrev), Oil Pressure/Temp Overheat (requires sensors, sold separately) and Lean Condition (Boost/Vacuum vs AFR). All of the parameters of the Engine History feature are user-programmable.
Both systems feature a small, thin footprint (7.35” x 6.55” x 1.8”), lightweight (29.9oz/848g) and 73-pin connectors. The Infinity Series 3 enclosure is fully sealed and the connectors are IP67 rated (dustproof, waterproof to 1 meter) making the Infinity suitable for engine bay mounting.
AEM offers a flying lead wiring harness for the Infinity Series 3 platform that is 96” in length and pre-wired with power, grounds, a power relay, fuse block and AEMnet (PN 30-3707). A Plug & Pin kit (PN 30-3708) is also available for the Series 3 that includes a 73-pin connector with cover, 73 small pins, 1 micro relay with pins and 30 sealing plugs. Plug & Play adapter harnesses will be available in the near future for seamless conversions on engines using MEFI controllers.
- Fuel Injection control via airflow model-based (VE) tuning
- Full ignition control
- Closed-loop AFR feedback
- ECU Set Up Wizard simplifies startup
- Flex-fuel compatible
- Multiple boost control strategies
- Nitrous control
- Map switching
- Dual knock sensing circuits
- Engine history
- Outputs to 3rd party dashes and data loggers
- Integrated engine protection strategies
- Sealed enclosure and IP67 rated comms ports
AIRFLOW MODEL BASED CALCULATIONS
Infinity’s airflow model-based systems greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to set up and tune an engine by eliminating many of the lookup and trim tables (correction tables) necessary in previous generation ECUs. The Infinity’s airflow based, or volumetric efficiency (VE) based models calculate an engine’s requirements in real-time based on an advanced algorithm that has various modes for calculating air flow. Once the user inputs an engine’s basic parameters (displacement, cylinders, ignition type, and firing order) and methods of calculation for airflow and ignition they can begin setting the engine’s VE table in the software.
InfinityTuner USER INTERFACE SOFTWARE
InfinityTuner is optimized for speed and performance. The software has the power to control a multitude of features found in today’s modern racecars, and features an advanced tuning Wizard to reduce set up time. An ECU Setup Wizard takes complex calibration setup work and simplifies it through a smart interface that features tabs for quick set up of vital engine functions. Each tab includes a description of the function.
InfinityTuner software is highly flexible. It allows you to choose from multiple strategies for boost control, idle control, wheel speed-based traction control, charge air temp blend, launch control and more.
All controls in the Infinity ECU are synched to logged data which allows users to edit calibration data during log playback to minimize tuning time. AEMdata, AEM’s advanced data logging analysis software is also included for reviewing data logs.
ULTRA-HIGH RESOLUTION FUEL CONTROL
The Infinity ECU calculates injector pulsewidth in units of 1/10th of a microsecond (0.0000001 seconds). Individual cylinder fuel trim is included and user-adjustable.
ACCURATE IGNITION TIMING UNDER ANY CONDITION
InfinityTuner software features a 3D ignition trim map (coolant and air temp based), and its back-end timing code is tested to 100,000 RPM. Individual cylinder ignition trim is included.
FLEX FUEL COMPENSATION
Flex-fuel compatibility is included, and the Infinity is able to make automatic adjustments for ethanol content in the fuel with the addition of an ethanol content sensor (sold separately).
The Infinity has the ability to run two separate fuel types simultaneously through staged fuel injection
The Infinity ECU uses a coolant temp based idle control model. It includes an RPM vs. Engine Speed Rate idle decel feature that provides accurate control of the IAC and allows for adjustment of engine braking. The Infinity’s idle TPS offset provides smoother low idle operation when necessary, like driving in the pits or return lane following a pass.
MULTIPLE BOOST CONTROL STRATEGIES
Choose from time, gear, vehicle speed, switch based or other boost control strategies. The Infinity’s boost control includes two 2D base duty tables and two 2D boost target tables. The second tables can be used as a trim, and users can choose from multiple strategies including IAT, MAP, Baro (kpa), throttle %, flex fuel content, boost target and more. Please visit our Forum for an in-depth review of the Infinity’s boost control capabilities.
The Infinity’s software allows you to run a single-stage wet or dry nitrous set up (four-stage available soon). This feature includes nitrous timing delay to account for nitrous bleed out and can be set up for water/methanol injection tuning. Four stage nitrous will be upgraded for free for existing Infinity users when it becomes available.
The Infinity includes up to four separate ignition maps, four separate Lambda maps and two separate VE maps with independent values. Using AEM’s 12 Position Trim Pot, this powerful feature delivers many valuable tuning options including:
- Multiple maps for multiple track conditions (practice map, rain map, qualifying map, FTW map)
- Change boost target
- Change Lambda target
- Change ignition target
- Tie boost, Lambda, and ignition targets together and change them all
- Ideal for test mapping during tuning
- Change boost base duty
- Control PWM switches (like water/methanol injection)
- Choose between 2 VE tables for VVC or when restrictors are in place
- Blend between flex-fuel ignition maps
- Blend by cam position and gear
Multiple engine protection strategies are incorporated into the Infinity ECU. Available strategies include:
- MAP (create limp mode using Assumed Pressure Ratio table to compensate for pressure if sensor fails)
- Overboost (boost fuel cut until boost/throttle decreases)
- Fuel pressure (injector flow compensated for variations in pressure, sensor required)
- Oil pressure (trigger light or limit RPM if pressure drops below set value, sensor required)
- RPM (rev limiter)
- Coolant temperature, Temp vs. RPM (fuel and ignition cut, sensor required)
- Knock control with feedback
- Lean protection (fuel and ignition cut)
REAL-TIME ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS
The Infinity’s diagnostics software can be configured to constantly monitor signal and current quality to alert the user of a potential issue before it creates the potential for engine damage.
CLOSED-LOOP AFR FEEDBACK CONTROL
Infinity Series 3 users have the ability to add up to two external wideband air/fuel ratio (AFR) sensor controllers via analog inputs or through AEMnet CANbus using AEM's X-Series Wideband AFR Controllers for closed-loop wideband AFR feedback control.
DUAL KNOCK SENSING
Dual knock signal conditioning circuits allow for precise measurements of knock levels. The Infinity can utilize both Piezoelectric and Flat Response type knock sensors.
The Infinity ECU is constructed using automotive-rated components designed to withstand the harshest racing environments. Its enclosure and connectors are sealed to make it suitable for engine bay mounting. An advanced wear-leveling strategy for flash memory ensures a lifetime of reliable performance.
The Infinity ECU is able to transfer data via USB at up to 480 Mb/second. It features a fully-sealed IP67 communications connection system.
Infinity is AEMnet enabled and will communicate with another AEMnet-equipped device. It is able to output to 3rd party dash/logger devices (not all 3rd party dash/logger devices may be supported).
INFINITY SERIES 3 EMS CAPABILITIES:
- Airflow model-based calculations
- VE-based engine startup
- Multi-fuel capable
- Flex-fuel compensated – fuel, ignition and boost with blend
- Multiple boost control strategies (time, gear, vehicle speed, switch and more)
- 2-step programmable launch control (3-step with Advanced Tuning Package)
- Programmable traction control, 2-wheel speed
- No-lift shift
- User-configurable soft-cut rev limiters
- User-configurable anti-lag
- Map switching (4 Separate ignition maps, 4 separate Lambda target maps, 2 separate VE tables)
- Single-stage wet or dry nitrous control
- Integrated engine protection strategies
- Target Lambda table, 10x10
- Open-loop fuel pressure compensation
- O2 lean-out protection
- 2-channel adaptive knock control
- Configurable coil dwell (RPM, voltage, and load-based)
- Individual cylinder ignition trim (RPM-based)
- Individual cylinder fuel trim (RPM-based)
- 3D ignition trim maps (coolant and air temp)
- Real-time sensor diagnostics
- Ignition table, 20x20
- VE airflow table, map vs. engine speed, 20x20
- User adjustable-charge temperature blend (CLT/AIT, engine speed dependent)
- Idle control (stepper and pulsewidth)
|SPECIFICATIONS||INFINITY 308 |
|INFINITY 358 |
|Cylinders||Up to 8||Up to 8|
|High Impedence Injectors (Sequential)||8||8|
|Low Impedence Injectors (Sequential)||2||N/A|
|Coil Drivers (0-5V Falling Edge)||8||N/A|
|Coil Drivers (to drive "Dumb" Coils or CDI)||1||8|
|VR/Mag Inputs||Up to 2||Up to 2|
|Analog Voltage Inputs||Up to 9||Up to 9|
|Analog Temp Inputs||Up to 3||Up to 3|
|On Board Wideband Air/Fuel Controllers||N/A||N/A|
|High Side Outputs||N/A||N/A|
|Low Side Outputs||10||10|
|Low Side Outputs that can be PWM||7||7|
|4-Wire Stepper Motor Control||Yes||Yes|
|Boost Control (RPM, Time, Gear, VSS, Switch Input, Flex Fuel Content)||Yes||Yes|
|Variable Cam Control||N/A||N/A|
|Nitrous Control||Single Stage||Single Stage|
|Traction Control||Up to 2-Wheel Speed||Up to 2-Wheel Speed|
|Data Logging||Basic Engine History||Basic Engine History|
|Weather Resistant Sealed Electronics||Yes||Yes|
|Enclosure Dimensions||7.35" x 6.55" x 1.8"||7.35" x 6.55" x 1.8"|
|Weight||29.9oz / 848g||29.9oz / 848g|
* Dual use pins. Tx and Tx shared with 2 digital inputs. DOES NOT OUTPUT AEM SERIAL DATA.
** Engine protection is programmable and can be coolant temp-, oil temp-, oil pressure-, AFR vs MAP, intake air temp-, knock- or fuel pressure-based.
- This item ships directly from the manufacturer. It may take an additional 2 business days for AEM Electronics to ship this item.
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
- This item ships via Ground Shipping only. Expedited and Air shipping options are not available.
More Like This
AEM 30-7105 Infinity 710 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7109 Infinity 708 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7101 Infinity 708 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7108 Infinity 508 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7100 Infinity 710 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7111 Infinity 712 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7112 Infinity 508 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7106 Infinity 506 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7107 Infinity 710 Programmable Engine Management System
AEM 30-7110 Infinity 708 Programmable Engine Management System
Q & A
Pat talks about our Tanks Inc. EFI fuel tanks.
Check out episode 9 of our 410 Sprint Car Build series! Today, the guys are having some fun with the fuel system.
In this episode, Project Chevelle takes a big step in its muscle car transformation. It's out with the little old 307 and to the dyno with our new 383 from BluePrint Engines!
Learn how to replace a fuel sending unit. Our fuel gauge sending unit guide and installation video covers all you need to match your fuel sender and gauge.
Pat talks about one of our cold air intake kits from AIRAID.