1962-67 Chevy II Nova Bolt-On Front End Mustang II Crossmember
62-67 Chevy Chevy II, Front Position, Mustang II | Subframe Crossmember Type, Natural
Replace the questionable stock front suspension in your Chevy II Nova with a world-class Mustang II front end. This rugged Mustang II crossmember is constructed of 7 gauge steel and allows you to directly bolt on a no-strut Mustang II IFS, rack & pinion steering, and upgraded brakes. Included in this subframe kit is all the special, hard-to-make brackets and mounts you will need to complete the installation into your 1962-67 Chevy II Nova, plus detailed installation instructions.
- Mounting points of all control arms match the original Ford design
- Factory anti-drive built right in
- 1962-67 Chevy II/Nova cars
- Constructed of 7-gauge steel w/ welds ground smooth
- Mustang II cross members using stock spindles will drop the stock ride height 3-4”
- One-Piece Shock Cups are T.I.G. welded in place and have anti-dive built in.
- Vertical Inner Uprights. This is the strongest design available, with twice the weld area. This will keep your frame from twisting!
- Crossmember and Spring Towers pre cut and pre-welded to fit your frame
- Lower control arm pivot tubes and gussets are welded in place
- Works with both manual or power rack and pinions
- Works with tubular offset or no-strut control arms ONLY
- Outside Frame Rail Width: 32"
- Crossmember moves wheel centerline rearward 1/2" to center the wheel correctly in the wheel well opening
Simply add a Speedway Mustang II IFS kit to get a complete "hub to hub" front suspension.
910-34438 Instructions (PDF)
- Additional items may be needed to complete installation. You may want to include our Mustang II ride height adjusters (91034444) for installation with these crossmembers to fine tune your final ride height up to 2".
- Works with tubular offset or no-strut control arms only. We do not recommend the use of 5/8" narrowed control arms with this subframe to prevent spring to frame rail interference.
- When using this crossmember with our "power" steering rack, you may also need (2) rack spacers (9101023). (These spacers are included with our Mustang II suspension kits.)
Item Details1962-67 ChevyII/Nova
Complete Bolt-On Frame Section - Truck Freight Only
Complete installation may require you to purchase corresponding a-arms, shocks, springs, brake kit, spindles, and steering rack and pinion
Overall Benefit: In a word, "handling". While installing a Mustang II can look like a lot of work, in reality, the improved handling and ride quality are worth the effort. Combine that with improved stopping ability due to numerous brake options and it becomes more a question of “Why wouldn’t you?”. The independent suspension will give you a much better ride because there is double the suspension travel. A stock axle will give you maybe 2-1/2” of total travel vs. a Mustang II which will give you about 4-1/2”- 5” of travel. There are multiple spring rates available to accommodate varied applications and the rack and pinion steering is much more responsive than a standard steering box.
Drop: This varies and is dependent on application and options. Most kits drop the vehicle by 3-4”. Drop spindles and running lower profile tires than stock also adds to the amount of drop that can be achieved.
Track Width: You may want to mount custom wheels to your Mustang II conversion and determining proper track width for your application is essential for figuring correct backspacing and overall ride stance. Standard wheel base is 56-1/2” with a 60” version available for trucks. The various options for brake kits will vary this somewhat and some kits can add roughly 2” to the overall track width. Narrowed arms are available to move the wheel in by 5/8” on each side. See the link below for various track widths with different options.
Assembly Notes: Either manual or power steering can be used with these crossmembers. The passenger side mount has a slot that will take the later model power rack. With all Mustang II aftermarket crossmembers, spacers and longer bolts must be used with the later (Fox-body) power rack.
Rack mounts are incorporated into the crossmember design and rotate the rack back 20° to get the input shaft lower. Stock, manual, power racks, or later model Mustang II or T-Bird power racks can be used. The rack is positioned so the bellows will clear most aftermarket full A-Arms. When using crossmembers with our "power" steering rack, you may also need (2) rack spacers (9101023). (These spacers are included with our Mustang II suspension kits.)
Works with tubular offset or no-strut control arms only. We do not recommend the use of 5/8" narrowed control arms with this subframe to prevent spring to frame rail interference. Lower control arm pivot tubes and gussets are included.
More Like This
Heidts CX-320-S 1962-1967 Chevy Nova Bolt-On Subframe
G-Comp Bare Subframe for 1962-67 Nova/Chevy II
Heidts Universal Multi-Fit 60 Econo Mustang II Crossmember Kit
Competition Engineering C2019 Ladder Bar Crossmember, 54 Inch
Heidts Universal 56-1/2 Inch Econo Crossmember
Q & A
In this episode, Project Chevelle gets coilovers and a much-needed altitude adjustment. Watch as we install QA1 bolt-on coilover kits front and rear, then dial in the perfect stance and shock settings. Our old Chevelle is really starting to look mean!
AccuAir and Speedway Motors team up to bring you a video series explaining the basics of air suspension. Watch these videos to get a better understanding of air suspension.