TREMEC TCET4616 GM TKO-500 5-Speed Overdrive Manual Transmission
Far and away the most versatile 5-speed transmission on the market, the TKO offers an impressive array of flexibility features – including multiple shifter locations, mounting configurations, gearing options, and speedometer pick-ups (both electric and mechanical).
Serving up 500 lb-ft of torque capacity, along with confidence-inspiring shifts and fuel-saving overdrive, the TKO-500 offers an ideal blend of brute strength and street manners – which may be why it's the manual transmission behind more boulevard-bruising street machines and sportsman race victories than all of it's competitors combined.
- 500 lb-ft. of torque capacity
- Exceptionally light at just 99 lbs. dry
- Transmission bolt pattern is the same as Muncie four speed
- Works with manual or hydraulic clutch release
- Robust 3-rail internal shift mechanism offers firm, positive shifts
- Multiple shifter locations for extreme versatility
- Dual speedo pick-ups for use with either electric or mechanical speedometers
- 26-spline input / 31-spline output
- 3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.00, .68 gear ratios
TKO-500 Service Manual (PDF)
TREMEC TKO transmissions can be shifted from three different locations - front, mid, and rear. From the factory they are configured as a rear shift. To change the location, you must purchase a mid or front shift kit (sold separately) and the rear shifter location is capped off with the provided plate.
TREMEC TKO transmissions are a great replacement for GM Muncie four-speeds as they have been configured to bolt up to the stock Ford bellhousings. Keep in mind that TREMEC TKOs are larger and taller then their 4-speed counter parts. The only parts needed to convert from a three or four speed is a cross member, shift lever, shift ball, and shorter speedometer cable. The driveshaft length may be affected for the GM conversion (check transmission dimensions). The slip yoke will have to be changed to match the 31-spline Ford-style output shaft (use Speedway # 910133031).
NotesBellhousing mount to transmission mount is 15.75". Bellhousing mount to end of the transmission is 24.50"
More Like This
Q & A
Videos & Articles
Super Chevy features the Speedway exclusive Lokar Muscle Car Shifter Knob Adapter