Browse our winning racing and performance auto parts.MORE
MSD Ignition is your source for the best ignition system components on the market today. Whether you need basic replacements to keep your daily driver on the road or the most powerful ignition to fire a top fuel dragster, Speedway Motors has what it takes to keep you fired up. MSD Ignition strives to serve the performance industry with the best products out there such as MSD Distributors, MSD Wires and other MSD products.
The most universal and easy to use shift light available! Our new compact Digital Shift Light can be installed on everything from 1-cylinder points-triggered engines to Modular Ford engines with coil-on-plug technology.The tiny digital controller inside the compact housing gives you the ability to program the rpm activation points through the easy-to-view LED panel and two programming buttons. When the engine reaches the activation rpm, the six red LEDs illuminate brightly to alert your senses into throwing the shifter at the exact rpm. The DSL can be installed on single cylinder engines up through 12-cylinders on stock ignitions or high-powered aftermarket systems.
- Installs with distributors, coil packs or coil-on-plug systems ranging from single to 12-cylinders
- Programmable from 100 - 15,900 rpm down to 10 rpm increments
- Six bright LEDs are easy to view in daylight and can be dimmed at night
- Supplied with an easy to install GMR pickup!
The new DynaForce Starter is designed to crank over the highest compression engines on a hot day in Death Valley. Not that too many race cars are sitting in Death Valley, but it’s good to know that you have the oomph to make it happen. The DynaForce Starter features all new components beginning with a three horsepower motor. This power is used to crank over the reduced 4.4:1 gear set to deliver great torque to the engine’s ring gear to get the engine turning. The armature is balanced during assembly and is guided by two ball bearings for smooth engagement and thousands of starts. The downsized housing clears most headers and oil pans, but just in case, we made the billet mount so it can be clocked in different positions to help in tight applications. The assembly is powder coated MSD red and will stay looking good, even though it’s underneath your car.
- Fits Chevy V8, 153 and 168 tooth flywheels
- Mount is for straight bolt pattern
- Gear reduction of 4.4:1 improves torque for great cranking
- Three horsepower motor provides power for high compression engines
- Ball bearing supported armature and pinion gear
- Downsized design helps clearance issues with oil pans and exhaust
- Mount can be clocked to assist in mounting
547-5095 Instructions (PDF)
Most modern engines have a hi-pressure fuel pump located in the gas tank. If you are transplanting one of these engines into your hot rod, what are you going to do for a fuel pump? This MSD pump can be mounted on the frame and can put out up to 43 gph at 40 psi or 39 gph at 80 psi.
- Flows 43 gph (282 lb/hr) gasoline @ 40 psi and 12 volts/5.4 amps
- Supports most multiport EFI systems up to 500 horsepower
- Mounts in-line (out of the fuel tank)
- Roller vane pump mechanism is extremely resistant to clogging and jamming
- Has 3/8” hose barb inlet and 5/16" hose barb outlet
- Made in the USA
The MSD Coil Bracket offers easy, universal mounting for standard size ignition coils up to 2-1/4" in diameter. The Bracket uses a bolt and nut combination instead of the easily stripped self-tapping screw common on other brand brackets. Perfect for cannister type coils
Adustable from 1-3/4" to 2-3/8" with slight bending of mounting tabs.
This distributor features an aluminum housing that is CNC machined for closer tolerances than any conventional cast distirbutor. On top of the distributor base sits the adjustable mechanical advance which can be easily tailored to any engine by changing the stop bushing and advance springs. Triggering the system is the same high-output magnetic pick-up that is used in our racing distributors. This pick-up produces an extremely accurate trigger signal and is maintenance-free.
- CNC machined billet aluminum housing and Dupont Rynite base
- Easy-to-adjust mechanical advance is mounted on top of the shaft
- Supplied springs and stop bushings to create a variety of timing curves
- CNC machined billet aluminum housing and Dupont Rynite base
- Maintenance-free magnetic pickup and precision reluctor create stable trigger signals throughout the rpm range
- Polished steel shaft is QPQ coated and guided by a sealed ball bearing
- Advance plate and weights are fine blanked from Chromoly steel and QPQ coated for friction reduction
- Mechanical advance assembly can be locked out for crank trigger systems
- Advance weight pins are staked and tig welded to the plate
- Nylon pads ensure smooth operation of the advance weights
- Supplied with a cap with HEI style terminals and rotor
- Must be used with an MSD Ignition Control
547-8473 Instructions (PDF)
This MSD Timing Pro is constructed with solid state circuitry and uses a Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR) that provides accurate and stable timing signals from 0 to 8,000 rpm. This rugged timing light is built to work in rough environments such as racing pits or professional mechanic shops. The MSD Timing Light’s lightweight assembly is injection molded for great durability and produces an intense strobe that is easy to view even in daylight. The inductive pickup is detachable for easy storage and for safety measures while the battery clamps provide a strong grip to the terminals.The battery clamps are color-coded and insulated for tight, safe connections.
- Detachable Leads
- Secure pick-up
- No retard as RPM Increases
MSD offers a universal set of 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires for the Midget racers. These 50 ohms per foot resistance wires are supplied with the coil side’s special locking terminal and boot crimped to the wires. The spark plug side boots and terminals are supplied loose so the wires can be routed and crimped for each application. A special mini-stripper-crimper tool is also supplied.
Note: These low resistance spark plug wires are only applicable to an MSD Midget Coil Pack #8240 ignition system.
Learn how to properly attach new spark plug terminals and boots by reading our tech article. How to Install Spark Plug Wire Ends.
If you are looking to upgrade your stock coil, or want to compliment the performance of your MSD ignition, the Blaster Coil line is the right choice. Special 100:1 windings, kept cool in an oil filled metal canister, are used to provide maximum build-up of voltage. The tower assembly is molded of durable alkyd material due to its high dielectric characteristics while wide spaced brass primary terminals prevent the possibility of spark. Can be used with a stock ignition, Blaster Ignition, or MSD 5, 6 or 7 Ignition Control.
The 0.8 ohm ballast resistor must be used with stock points ignition and Mallory Unilite applications. Includes MSD Power Tower top.
- Improved output coil for stock points or electronic ignitions, Blaster Ignition, or MSD 5, 6, and 7 Series
- Supplied with two plug wire boots, terminals, and jumper wire
- 100:1 turns ratio and lower primary resistance produce high voltage output
- MSD Red metal canister is filled with a premium grade oil for cooling
Don’t let the compact size of the Blaster SS Coil fool you, because it is packed with performance! The efficient E-core windings are designed to produce high amounts of current without sacrificing the voltage output. In fact, when used with an MSD 6 Series Ignition, the Blaster SS produces 300 milliamps with a maximum voltage output of 40,000 volts! The secondary windings are wound on a segmented bobbin which reduces the chance of voltage breakdown between the primary and secondary windings. For more protection, these windings are encased in a polyurethane compound for complete protection against vibration. The Blaster SS features brass terminals and a sturdy Rynite housing. It is supplied with a 90° boot, terminal and vibration mounts. A great addition to CD Ignitions and some stock applications.
- Improved output coil for electronic ignitions, and MSD Ignitions
- Efficient winding design and assembly creates a compact housing
- Primary and secondary windings are encased in Ciba polyurethane
- 70:1 turns ratio and lower primary resistance produce high voltage output
- Dupont Rynite housing with a tall tower and brass primary terminals
547-8207 Instructions (PDF)
The modified HEI Dust Cover allows you to remove the stock HEI coil in your distributor cap, and replace it with an externally mounted coil such as the Blaster 2. Designed to be installed on stock HEI distributor caps with no modification.
You can easily change the RPM limit on your MSD ignition box by switching RPM modules.
- Single 8500 RPM chip for MSD ignition boxes
- 8500 RPM limit for IMCA Modified running 604 crate
- Manufacturer part number: ASY17903
One of the most popular LS platform engines that are being scavenged and used as donor engines are coming from trucks. These engines are available in a variety of sizes and power such as 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and even a 6.2L. Fortunately, the majority of the engine architecture and components are similar with differences being largely in the mounting of accessories and the intake manifold design.
MSD is launching two new Atomic LS Kits for these engines and we’ve been able to narrow down the offerings to two kits; an early model Atomic kit and a late model kit. Unfortunately, there is not a clear cut year to differentiate between the two but you can easily identify the kit you need by the throttle body.
Early engines use a throttle body that has three bolts retaining it to the intake manifold and these can be mechanical linkage or throttle-by-wire. The late model truck engines to be identified with a 4-bolt throttle body.
- Intended for use on early truck engines with a 3-bolt throttle body
* Not legal for use or sale on pollution controlled vehicles.
Find out which kit you need for your LS truck engine here: Atomic LS Truck Engine Guide (GIF)
These close fit spark plug wires will work great with your MSD Pro Mag magneto. They feature a helically wound core, just 40-50 ohms of resistance per foot, RFI suppression equal to a 1500 ohm wire, high temp boots, and dual crimp stainless steel terminals feature snap locks for a secure fit.
- Close fit 8.5mm wires for MSD Pro Mag
- Helically wound core, just 40-50 ohms of resistance per foot, RFI suppression equal to a 1500 ohm wire
- Each foot of finished wire features 40 ft. of tight wound copper
- 8.5mm synthetic/silicone jacket over extra heavy glass braid and dielectric insulator keeps current guided to plugs
- High temp boots, dual crimp stainless steel terminals feature snap locks for a secure fit
If you are using a MSD ignition box or RPM module, you need to have this RPM checker. It is simple to use as you just plug it in to your ignition box or RPM module and hold down one button. Limits MSD box to 3000 RPM if box is used correctly.
- Essential for any racing class with RPM limitations
- Test MSD box or RPM module
- Simply plug-in and hold button
- 9V battery included
You can easily change the RPM limit on your MSD ignition box by switching RPM modules.
- Single 6800 RPM chip for MSD ignition boxes
- 6800 RPM limit for IMCA Modified running 604 crate
- Manufacturer part number: ASY11539
With the introduction of our 20 Amp Extreme HEI Module, we needed an HEI Cap and Rotor that could withstand the high output. The answer was to mold our own HEI Cap, Rotor and Coil Cover. The Cap and Rotor will fit our HEI Pro-Billet Distributor, PN 8365,
- Absolutely the most powerful HEI Module available.
- 32 Mhz controller manages the extreme current for full output at racing rpm.
- Adjustable rev limiter from 5,000 “ 10,000 rpm.
- Built-in Traction Control Detection technology.
- Independent tach output lea
These great little markers will save you time and ensure that the plug wires are always in the right place. They will withstand high underhood temperatures and work with 8.5mm wires. These plastic plug wire indicators are white with black lettering and are sold as a set. The Markers are also supplied on a trick orange tool that makes installation effortless.
- Works with 8.5mm wires
- Saves time and ensures correct wire location
- Withstands high underhood temperatures
- Makes installation effortless
- Plastic material
Install Saturday Morning, Make the Cruise Saturday Night with the Atomic Basic kit. The Atomic EFI outshines the competition in ease of installation and performance! The MSD annular ring injection design produces an air/fuel charge with much better mixture as well as an even distribution among the cylinders that the competition cannot match. Better AFRs equal better idle quality, better starting, and better overall drivability throughout the rpm range. You and your engine will be glad when you Go Atomic.
If your vehicle already has an electric fuel pump with a return line in place, you might not need to replace it. If this situation fits your car, you may want to consider this Basic Throttle Body Kit which comes with the Throttle Body, Power Module (with Wide Band O2 sensor), and Handheld Controller.
- Bolts to standard 4 barrel intake manifold
- 8 wire connection installation
- Replaces standard square bore carburetor
- Controls ignition timing
- Integrated ECU and sensors
- Single fuel line
- No Laptop required
- 5472910 Atomic EFI TBI Instructions (PDF)
You can easily change the RPM limit on your MSD ignition box by switching RPM modules. These chips are for 8200 RPM limit applications.
- ASY11549 - Single MSD 8200 RPM Module
- Easily change the RPM limit on your MSD ignition box
If you make numbers of plug wires or do a lot of custom wiring, the Pro-Crimp Tool is a must for your toolbox. The Pro-Crimp features interchangeable jaws allowing for a variety of different style crimps with one heavy-duty tool. The Pro-Crimp features a hardened steel frame with comfortable molded hand grips. The slick ratchet action provides secure, factory quality crimps every time. The Tool is supplied with precision crimping/stripping jaws for MSD’s spark plug wire terminals. Recommended to be used with MSD 8.5mm Super Conductors!
Pro Crimp Tool can also be used to crimp Weatherpak terminals with the Weatherpak Jaw Attachment 547-3509.
Learn how to properly use this tool to attach new spark plug terminals and boots by reading our tech article. How to Install Spark Plug Wire Ends.
The Street Pro-Billet is a popular route for people looking for proven race performance for their street cars. A vacuum advance canister provides economy and the proven MSD mechanical advance gives you the opportunity to dial-in a timing curve to fit your needs. Inside, an oversized steel shaft is QPQ-coated for low friction and rides in a sealed ball bearing at the top of the distributor with an extra-long sintered bushing at the bottom. This combination keeps the shaft steady creating accurate spark delivery at any rpm. The Street Pro-Billet relies on a magnetic pick-up to trigger the MSD Ignition Control which delivers the powerful sparks to the coil. This pick-up is extremely accurate and never needs adjusting.
If you are looking to upgrade your stock coil, or want to compliment the performance of your MSD Blaster Ignition, MSD 5, 6 or 7, the Blaster Coil line is the right choice. All of the Blaster Coils are designed for improved spark output! Special 100:1 windings are used to provide maximum build-up of voltage! These windings are held secure and kept cool in an oil filled metal canister. The tower assembly is molded of durable alkyd material due to its high dielectric characteristics while wide spaced brass primary terminals prevent the possibility of spark. There are several versions of the Blaster Coil available. All of them have the same internal specifications, but have different housings or components. Each Blaster Coil can be used with a stock ignition, Blaster Ignition, MSD 5, 6 or 7 Ignition Control. Most late model vehicles with electronic ignitions do not require a ballast resistor, check your ignition and manufacturers specifications to determine if a ballast is required in your application.
MSDs Non-Magnetic Pick-Ups are engineered for extreme applications. In fact, this Pick-Up was designed and tested on 300+ mph top fuel dragsters! To live up to MSDs demanding expectations in these extreme applications, we took it upon ourselves to design and build the Pick-Ups in-house. This way we can control every aspect of their assembly and quality. Each Pick-Up is hand wound on a special bobbin and terminated to our tinned conductor, teflon jacketed wiring. These wires are also routed through a strain relief for protection. This assembly is then installed into the precision housing and is potted with a fracture resistant epoxy compound. To ensure that the windings are entirely encased in epoxy, the Pick-Ups undergo a vacuum procedure to remove any air inside the housing. All of these procedures are necessary to produce the strongest, most reliable non-magnetic Pick-Up available.
- Replacement Pick-up
The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire is "the" performance wire.Engineered from the inside out, the 8.5 offers everything you have everwanted in a wire; incredibly low resistance without electronic interference! In a single 12 inch length of Super Conductor Wire there is only 40 - 50 ohms of resistance! That is the lowest resistance of any helically wound wire. To accomplish this, we use a copper alloy conductor due to its great voltage carrying capabilities. The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke". This choke, or suppression capability, keeps the EMI inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronics on your vehicle. The outer sleeve that surrounds the conductor assembly is just as impressive. A proprietary blend of silicone and synthetic material produce a sleeve that is highly resistant to high heat as well as abrasion and tears. The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Plug Wire is available in Universal Kits and Bulk Lengths.
This all new Heat HEI Module supersedes the current PN 83645. Using upgraded components, the HEAT produces high output for stock and MSD applications plus has a built-in rev limiter that is more accurate and easier to set with the engine running.
Works with non-computer controlled (4-Pin) HEI housings.
- Easily installs to non-computer controlled (4-Pin) HEI housings
- Built-in adjustable rev limiter can easily be set externally
- Advanced dwell control for improved high rpm output
- The Hottest HEI Module you buy-period!
- Produces an incredible 7.5 amps of juice!
- Adjust the rev limiter without removing the cap!
- Fits in stock HEI distributors
547-83647 Instructions (PDF)
MSD Tech Bulletin (PDF)
MSD boots are designed with longevity in mind. Each boot provides excellent heat resistance as well as maximum protection against spark loss.
Learn how to properly attach new spark plug terminals and boots by reading our tech article. How to Install Spark Plug Wire Ends
The cap and rotor of any ignition system must be considered maintenance items. Just as you change the oil and filter of your car, you should always replace the cap and rotor as a set. To make things easy, we now offer these Cap and Rotor Replacement Kits.
Small Block Ford MSD bronze distributor gears are machined from quality AMPCO 45 aluminum bronze containing 5% nickel. This special combination creates high-strength gear teeth that are less prone to wear, even with high-volume oil pumps.
For SBF V8 with solid roller cams. Gear has a .466" I.D.
Higher output with 530 primary volts and 135mJ of spark energy. Efficient components use less current to produce more power. Same bolt pattern as the original 6A with a lower profile housing. Built-in LED for system checks. All wires exit the same side through a locked, sealed connector. Compatible with 4, 6 and 8-cylinder engines.
547-6201 Instructions (PDF)
Learn more about determining the proper MSD ignition control box for your application by reading our tech article. The Differences Between 6 Series MSD Ignition Control Units.