1949-53 Ford Flathead V8 Parts
The third and final design of the legendary Ford flathead, the 1949-53 model featured a bolt-on bellhousing and a relocated distributor. Modern insert style bearings were used on both the mains and the rods. Often known as the "8BA", the final flathead design was eventually replaced by the new generation of overhead valve powerplants. The dream of own a flattie can still become a reality with our huge selection of parts and accessories. Our award winning tech staff can help you build the old school engine you've always dreamed of!
1949-53 Ford Flathead V8 Parts
This all-in-one kit is designed to adapt the versatile TREMEC TKO-500 transmission to your 1949-53 Ford Flathead engine. Serving up 500 lb-ft of torque capacity, along with confidence-inspiring shifts and fuel-saving overdrive, the TKO offers an ideal blend of brute strength and street manners. This kit includes everything you need for installation*.
- Sold as a complete conversion kit
- TKO overdrive transmission to 1949-53 Flathead
- .68 overdrive 5th gear for smooth cruising on the highway
- *See note below regarding 1949-53 OEM 3" adapter
- TREMEC GM TK-500 5-speed overdrive manual transmission (91029027)
- GM Manual Transmission to Flathead V8 adapter (91628912)
- Flathead clutch release bearing (91025620)
- Release bearing adapter (91629517)
- Pilot bearing (91629520)
- Flathead 10-1/2" long style clutch pressure plate 910-15635
- Flathead 10" clutch disc (91015644)
- Flathead clutch release fork (91675150)
- Flathead clutch shaft release pin (91675151)
- Flathead clutch release shaft (91675101)
- Clutch release spring (91675152)
- Flathead steel flywheel (91015629)
- ARP flywheel bolts (1012002802)
- ARP pressure plate bolts (1011502201)
Note: Flywheel provided in this kit is for the 1949-53 Ford Flathead engine application. The 1949-53 engine application will require this kit to utilize the OEM 3" adapter bellhousing (to be provided by the installer - not currently available from Speedway Motors).
TKO-500 Service Manual (PDF)
916-28912 Instructions (PDF)
Make your Flathead V8 really shine with these chrome acorn nut covers. These chrome plated cast metal acorn nuts snap on over the 9/16" (wrench size) nuts on your Flathead V8 intake manifold. Quick and easy to install for an immediate improvement in looks. They're the perfect compliment to painted or polished intakes or cylinder heads with our 910-10115 chrome acorn covers for cylinder heads.
20-piece set. The max height from the top inside surface to the bottom edge is .485".
By Ron Bishop. A step-by-step, easy to follow instruction manual for restoring Ford 1932-53 V-8 flatheads. Comprehensive instruction manual covers all the basics of rebuilding a flathead Ford.
A truly classic race manifold; the Super Dual features 180° firing order, eliminated heat crossover and carb location over port openings. Designed for Ford and Mercury engines made from 1938 to 1948. Heat crossover is blocked off. 10-5/16" carb centers.
- For 1938-48 Ford/Mercury Flathead
- 10-5/16" carb centers
- Made in the U.S.A.
Carburetor Recommendations: Speedway 9 Super 7, Stromberg 3-bolt (97-type) and Holley 3-bolt.
These Scat flathead cranks are made from series 9000 material which is the strongest cast material known. Shot peened, ground and micro-polished to original specs. Uses 1949-1953 bearings.
- Rod Length: 7.000"
- Rod Pin: 2.138"
- Internal balance
Replace your corroded or missing Flathead water neck with this high-quality version. Made of cast aluminum for a good seal and longevity.
- Uses 1-1/4" hose
- Includes bolts and gasket
- Two required per engine
Your flathead is no different than any other engine and should have the cam degreed when assembled. This polished aluminum beauty has 360 degree markings and fits directly on the crankshaft snout.
Now you can easily mount a modern, fully synchronized GM manual transmission to your early Ford or Mercury Flathead V8 engine! This is a great way to get better driveability and improved performance from your 1932-48 Ford or 1939-50 Mercury Flathead.
This aluminum adapter permits the use of most GM-style 3-, 4- or 5-speed Muncie, Borg Warner, Saginaw and T-5 manual transmissions behind your Flathead V8s. Adapter is used in conjunction with Flathead flywheel and a GM-style clutch fork and bearing (or Speedway bearing and arm kit 916-29510).
- Mounts common Muncie, Borg Warner, Saginaw and T-5 GM style manual transmissions
- For use with GM-style clutch fork and bearing (our part #9162915)
- Recommended for use with Borg & Beck or diaphragm-style pressure plate
- Use with original flathead flywheel (re-drilling of the pressure plate bolt pattern may be required)
560-5174 Instructions (PDF)
Learn more about using T5 transmissions with these adapter plates by reading our tech article. Adapting a T5 to a Ford Flathead V8.
Item DetailsUses Borg & Beck or Diaphragm-style clutch
Get more performance and driveability out of your Ford Flathead V8 by hooking it up to a GM manual transmission! This adapter allows you to easily install a GM 3-, 4-, or even 5-speed transmission behind your 1932-1948 Ford or 1939-1950 Mercury Flathead V8 engine.
Permits use of your Ford clutch release shaft, fork and throwout bearing. Throwout bearing must be used with a Long-style pressure plate.
560-5272 Instructions (PDF)
Installation Notes (PDF)
Help dress up your 1949-1953 flathead Ford V8 by replacing that beat-up old oil filler tube with these great-looking chrome versions. Tube is 6-1/4" long and includes a chrome push-on breather cap. This oil fill tube is for Offenhauser 1949-1953 Flathead Ford intake manifolds and only for holes that will accept a tube measuring 1.3695".
Fits most Offenhauser intake manifolds. Radiator hose modification may be required on some applications.
Item DetailsFits most Offenhauser intakes.
Never change points again with the PerTronix Ignitor System. This ignitor kit fits most 1949-1953 Ford Flathead V8's and provides increased voltage for improved performance and fuel efficiency. The system fits neatly underneath the distributor cap and is compatible with all 12 volt negative ground systems.
PerTronix Ignitor Systems are designed for use with any stock point type coil or the FlameThrower 40,000 volt coil for maximum performance Also compatible with MSD ignition boxes.
447-1282 Instructions (PDF)
Improve the performance and exhaust note of your 1932-53 flathead Ford V8 with these affordable, high-quality tubular steel headers. They have a compact center-dump design. The center-dump design will not work on Ford cars with stock wishbones.
Includes block gaskets, collector gaskets and a pair of companion 2-1/2" flanges for beginning the exhaust system (companion flanges fit 2-1/2" pipe).
Original flathead pistons used four rings, were somewhat round, had questionable wrist pins and locks and were made of cast iron. These pressure-cast aluminum pistons share the four-ring design, but are cam ground and use modern steel wrist pins and real snap rings. They’re a great upgrade when rebuilding your 1939-1953 flathead Ford or Mercury V8 engine.
Sizing based on original 3.188" bore. Fits .060" overbore size and 3.75" stroke crank. Sold as a set of 8.
- Original 4-ring design
- Pressure cast aluminum construction provides great strength and durability
- Precision cam ground
- Modern steel wrist pins
- Snap ring style retainer clips
If you don't want a magneto, but love the looks, get one of these electronic distributors!
These fully self-contained distributors feature full centrifugal advance for ease of starting along with 2-wire hook-up that anyone can handle. Has an internal coil. All modern electronics give you a "State-of-the-Art" ignition system.
So you've converted your Flathead-powered rod over to 12 volts and bolted a GM alternator in place. Now it's time to install the belt, but your engine pulley is 5/8" and the alternator is 1/2"!
Don’t worry, Speedway has you covered. This alternator pulley allows the use of a 5/8" wide Flathead-style belt on GM externally regulated, SI and one-wire alternators.
Performance engine builders know that head studs are superior to bolts, and this is especially the case on Flathead Ford and Mercury V8s. Flathead decks are thin and their threads are easily stripped. By installing studs, you avoid damaging the threads in the block through repeated use. The combination of the studs fine outer threads and hardened washers also prevents galling and ensures accurate torque readings, particularly on aluminum heads.
- Studs utilize superior "pull down torque"
- Properly fastens and torques both aluminum and iron heads
910-15310 Instructions (PDF)
Item Details1939-1948 or 1949-1953
Speedway Motors has all the parts you need to rebuild your Flathead Ford V8, including these high quality main bearings. Precision built to the high standards demanded by today's rodders and restorers, these silicon bi-metal bearings are available in standard size, .010", .020", or .030" undersize.
- Improves Crankshaft Finish: Silicon particles reduce/eliminate microscopic ferrite peaks on improperly ground/polished nodular cast iron crankshafts.
- Wear Resistance: During engine operation, silicon particles round off crank journal high spots, reducing friction and related wear.
- Improved oil clearance: Because of reduced wear, silicon bearings make it possible to maintain OE clearances over the life of the engine, which reduces operating noise, vibration, and excess oil flow.
- Tolerance Control: All shells matched to ± .0001" vs. the competitions' ± .00025"
- Temperature Threshold: Silicon bimetal material melts/flakes at 662° F vs. tri-metal at 365° F.
- Corrosion Resistance: Defends against corrosion caused by unleaded fuels and moisture.
- Environmentally Friendly: All KING silicon bimetal engine bearings are "Lead Free".
- O.E. preferred material: Most O.E. engines today use and enjoy the benefits of silicon bimetal bearings.
The Offy super dual intake is a better performer than regular dual. 9-1/8" carb centers. The front of the 560-1076 intake manifold has the boss or flange for the generator or fan assembly to mount to. It also has the fill and draft holes behind this flange.
- For 1949-53 Ford Flatheads
- 9-1/8" carb centers
- Has boss or flange for generator or fan assembly to mount to
- Has the fill and draft holes behind flange
- Generator adapter bracket NOT included
This is the cam of choice of choice if you are building a "full race" flathead. Its hard to be the Max-1 grind for street use, but you may need a little more or less for your combination. Make sure you check valve to head clearance before installing heads.
Cam Application Chart (PDF)
450-818800 Specs (Link)
Item DetailsFull Race - Fair idle, good midrange power. Upgrade carbs and intake.
Repeated torquing of your rod nuts fatigues the threads. Don't take a chance – replace your Flathead Ford V8's old fasteners with the superior strength and quality of ARP rod nuts. ARP specialty hardware can be found in NASCAR, NHRA and IndyCar racing applications, so you can be sure it's strong enough for your flathead.
- Rolled threads, high strength steel, and black oxide finish
- A must when you rebuild your Flathead
- Castle nut design may differ slightly in appearance from OEM
- Fits '32-'53 Ford/Mercury V-8 engines using standard 3/8" rod bolts
- Original flathead bolts are non-serviceable and must be reused
- Set/16 nuts
These ARP head stud kits are designed specially for 1949-53 Flathead Ford engines with Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads. Trust the strength and quality of ARP studs for your Flathead engine.
- Complete with studs, washers, and stainless acorn nuts.
- For use with Edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads
These ARP head stud kits are designed specially for 1949-53 Flathead Ford engines with Offenhauser cylinder heads. Trust the strength and quality of ARP studs for your Flathead engine.
- Complete with studs, washers, and stainless acorn nuts.
- For use with Offenhauser cylinder heads
- 20 studs @ 2-5/8"
- 28 studs @ 3-3/8"
- 48 stainless acorn nuts
- 48 stainless flat washers
- 1 tube-assembly lube
Black stainless steel housing. Slim design allows mounting inside the headers. For use with factory or sanderson cast manifolds. E-Z read flexible inner dipstick measuring cable. For Accurate measure of engine oil. Made in the U.S.A. Lifetime warranty.
- Black Stainless Steel Housing
- Slim Design Allows Mounting Inside Headers
- For Use w/Factory Or Sanderson Cast Manifolds
- E-Z Read Flexible Inner Dipstick Measuring Cable
- For Accurate Measure Of Engine Oil
- Lifetime Warranty
The flathead Ford V8 was designed to run on fuel with high levels of lead, but even with leaded fuel, the stock valves will eventually hammer the seats out, which will close up the valve lash and leave your valves hanging open...that is if you don't seize a valve to the guides first!
Remember what year your engine was built and how fatigued the valve train components are. Henry may have built them right with the technology he had available then, but this is now and we have the modern components you need.
These 0.060 oversize valve seats are made of a specially hardened material to combat the effect of unleaded fuel and higher performance. Machine work is required for installation. Intake has a 30° seat and exhaust has a 45° seat.
Flathead Valve Assembly (Link)