One thing to never forget - the wiring in your muscle car is forty years old and updating to modern and safe components is easy. Owners and restorers of 1964 to 1966 first generation Mustangs can take comfort in the fact that there is now an electrical system upgrade from Painless to completely rewire this classic car. These Painless wiring harnesses feature many pre-wired connections and are color coded to make installation a snap.
1964-1966 Mustang Wiring Instructions (PDF)
Note: Some firewall modifications required.
- This harness comes with a fully assembled 14-circuit micro fuse block complete with 12 modern blade-type ATO fuses and 2 relays.
- Each kit also has provisions for factory instrumentation options, including either an alternator light or amperage meter, engine monitoring lights or gauges, a single turn signal indicator or separate left and right indicators, and an ammeter induction connection or direct connection.
- Some firewall modifications required.
- Kit comes preterminated for the following switches and accessories: blower motor, wipers, ignition, headlight switches, voltage regulator, turn signals and flashers, lighter, brake switch, dimmer switch, brake warning light and headlight bulbs. Additional circuits include electric choke, cooling fan, digital radio memory, tach power, signal indicators, dash lights, and ignition ballast resistor.
- This three section wiring harness features pre-printed, color-coded, high-temperature TXL wire to make installation easy and super reliable:
- MAIN SECTION - Includes wiring for the car's instrumentation, radio, courtesy lights, tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, license plate light, backup lights and fuel gauge sending unit.
- FORWARD SECTION - Includes wiring for the headlights, turn signals, parking lights, generator/alternator, regulator and horns.
- ENGINE SECTION - Includes wiring for the starter, ignition, electric fan, heater fan, oil pressure sending unit and engine temperature sending unit.