MSD 8582 Ford 289-302 Billet Distributor
Click image to enlarge
Q & A
What's in the Box
MSD's billet distributors are for Ford enthusiasts who are serious about performance! Just under the brass terminals of the MSD cap and rotor is an easy-to-adjust mechanical advance assembly. The assembly is fine blanked from chromoly steel, TIG-welded for strength plus receives a QPQ coating. The precision weights glide on nylon bushings for smooth advancement and different springs and stop bushings are supplied so a variety of advance curves can be tuned. The steel shaft that spins the advance and reluctor receives a friction reducing coating plus is guided by a sealed ball bearing and long sintered bushing. This combination provides stable timing signals and spark delivery at any rpm. Triggering chores are handled by MSD’s race proven, maintenance-free magnetic pick-up.
Fits 289-302 Small Block Ford V8. Must be used with an MSD 6, 7, 8 or 10 Series ignition control.
- Large Base/Cap Distributor
- CNC machined billet aluminum housing and Dupont Rynite base
- Easy-to-adjust mechanical advance with supplied springs and stop bushings
- Maintenance-free magnetic pickup and precision reluctor create stable trigger signals throughout the rpm range
- Polished steel shaft is QPQ coated and guided by a sealed ball bearing
- Advance plate and weights are fine blanked from Chromoly steel and QPQ coated for friction reduction
- Advance weight pins are staked and tig welded to the plate
- Nylon pads ensure smooth operation of the advance weights
- Mechanical advance assembly can be locked out for crank trigger systems
- Supplied with Cap-A-Dapt and rotor (accepts MSD socket style caps)
547-8582 Instructions (PDF)
WarrantiesFor warranty information, please visit http://www.msdhelp.com/
You may also be interested in:
MSD 8207 Blaster SS CoilPrice: $52.99More Info
MSD 8253 HVC II Coil for 6 Series IgnitionsPrice: $199.99More Info
MSD 31399 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires Set, Small Block Ford, Socket CapPrice: $94.99More Info
MSD 8482 Distributor Cap and Rotor Kit - Ford V8 TFI 85-95Price: $31.99More Info
MSD 85833 Ford Steel Distributor Gear for Aftermarket Roller CamsPrice: $75.99More Info
Don’t let the compact size of the Blaster SS Coil fool you, because it is packed with performance! The efficient E-core windings are designed to produce high amounts of current without sacrificing the voltage output. In fact, when used with an MSD 6 Series Ignition, the Blaster SS produces 300 milliamps with a maximum voltage output of 40,000 volts! The secondary windings are wound on a segmented bobbin which reduces the chance of voltage breakdown between the primary and secondary windings. For more protection, these windings are encased in a polyurethane compound for complete protection against vibration. The Blaster SS features brass terminals and a sturdy Rynite housing. It is supplied with a 90° boot, terminal and vibration mounts. A great addition to CD Ignitions and some stock applications.
- Improved output coil for electronic ignitions, and MSD Ignitions
- Efficient winding design and assembly creates a compact housing
- Primary and secondary windings are encased in Ciba polyurethane
- 70:1 turns ratio and lower primary resistance produce high voltage output
- Dupont Rynite housing with a tall tower and brass primary terminals
547-8207 Instructions (PDF)
The latest coil to be built entirely in-house at MSD is designed to be used with MSD 6 Series Ignition Controls. This coil utilizes an iron U-Core design with a segmented bobbin for improved voltage distribution. The bobbin is molded from a special Dupont Rynite material and wound specifically to produce the most current possible with incredible voltage and lightning quick rise time. The blue housing is also molded from high dielectric Rynite material. The brass primary terminals are spaced far apart and the secondary tower is well protected for increased spark isolation. The housing is completely potted with an epoxy compound for vibration resistance and installs with sturdy vibration mounts.
- Designed for high rpm, long duration applications using MSD 6 Series Ignitions
- New U-core winding design produces more voltage and current
- 100:1 turns ratio and lower primary resistance produce high voltage output
- Windings are encased in fracture resistant compound for vibration resistance
- Dupont Rynite housing with isolated tower and brass primary terminals
- Supplied with rubber shock mounts
547-8253 Instructions (PDF)
The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire is "the" performance wire. Engineered from the inside out, the 8.5 offers everything you have ever wanted in a wire; incredibly low resistance without electronic interference! In a single 12 inch length of Super Conductor Wire there is only 40 - 50 ohms of resistance! That is the lowest resistance of any helically wound wire.
To accomplish this, MSD uses a copper alloy conductor due to it's great voltage carrying capabilities. The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke". This choke, or suppression capability, keeps the EMI inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronics on your vehicle. The outer sleeve that surrounds the conductor assembly is just as impressive. A proprietary blend of silicone and synthetic material produce a sleeve that is highly resistant to high heat as well as abrasion and tears.
Learn how to properly attach new spark plug terminals and boots by reading our tech article. How to Install Spark Plug Wire Ends.
The cap and rotor of any ignition system must be considered maintenance items. Just as you change the oil and filter of your car, you should always replace the cap and rotor as a set. To make things easy, we now offer these Cap and Rotor Replacement Kits.
A distributor’s performance is only as good as its drive gear. MSD Ignition has put a great deal of effort into researching and testing a variety of metallurgical compositions, heat treating and coatings to provide you with a durable, accurate and strong distributor gear. The result is a special iron alloy gear that is treated to a low-friction coating process. To you this means long life, an easy break-in period and reliable performance!
For use with non-EFI Small Block Ford 302 V8 with roller cams. Gear has a 0.468" I.D.
- Increased outer hardened layer thickness (RC 55-60)
- Micro polished surface for smooth contact
- Proprietary formulated ductile iron
- Melonite QPQ coated reduces friction and initial wear
- Interstitial carbide concentration improves wear resistance547-85833 Instructions (PDF)