Garage Sale - Speedy's 9 Super 7 3-Bolt Carburetor
Click image to enlarge
Please note the following about this product:
- This product is discontinued.
Q & A (0)
What's in the Box
Speedway Motors now offers a reproduction version of one of the most popular carburetors ever used, the original Stromberg 97! Original equipment on '30s and '40s cars and trucks, the Stromberg 97 has long been favored by flathead hot rodders and racers who realized the performance qualities of this timeless fuel supplier.
There have been numerous attempts to reproduce this unit, with little success. "Speedy" Bill Smith of Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Nebraska, took on the challenge to make a great product even better. The 9 Super 7 ® Carb brings this reproduction of the original Stromberg 97 into the 21st Century!
Speedway Motors has incorporated all of the improvements shown above while maintaining the carburetor's original look. Features such as the choke assembly, accelerator pump, jets and cosmetics have all been faithfully retained. Additionally, each carburetor is individually flow tested and inspected for leaks. Perfection is the result!
915-11655 Instructions (PDF)
This carb is garage sale priced because it has been installed, run and returned. This one may need to be rebuilt prior to use.
NO WARRANTY, NO RETURNS ON GARAGE SALE ITEMS
Here's what others are saying about the Speedway Motors 9 Super 7 ® Hot Rod Carburetor:
We dyno tested the Speedway 9 Super 7 ® carburetor back-to-back with an original Stromberg 97 on a 355ci small-block Chevy. Both carburetors performed equally well, with comparable power. The 9 Super 7 ® delivered a slightly richer fuel mixture than the stock 97 - which is a good thing with today's poor quality pump gas. This is a smooth carburetor - it does everything right. I think it is a very good piece.
- Earl Gaerte - Race Engine Builder, Gaerte Engines
We tested the 9 Super 7 ® on Bob Everts' '32 Ford sedan delivery, which has a stock '36 Flathead V8 previously equipped with a Stromberg 97. We removed the Stromberg and installed the 9 Super 7 ®. We hit the starter and it fired up immediately on a cold, unstarted engine. It idled perfect with no adjustments or leaks. After a short drive, we shut the car off for a few minutes; it restarted immediately upon engaging the starter button. Overall driveability was excellent. Bob has kept the 9 Super 7 on his '32 and reports that it is still running great.
- Jackie Howerton - Race Car and Street Rod Builder, Former Indy Car and Sprint Car Driver
I got my order yesterday and installed the 9 Super 7 Carb on my '40 and it works great! Thanks!
- John H of Colwich, KS - Speedway Motors Customer
- Speedy's 9 Super 7 ® features .045" main metering jets and a number 65 power valve, which is the same as a stock carb.
- Includes base gasket.
- Note: There is no provisions for a vacuum advance line. Ford & Mercury engines 1949-1953 using stock distributors will need an alternative place to connect the vacuum line.
- Replacement Jet Access Plug Gasket = 91011542
- Replacement Needle & Seat Gasket = 91011543
Our independent tests produced these flow numbers:
- 3" of Vacuum - 60 CFM
- 10" of Vacuum - 110 CFM
- 15" of Vacuum - 136 1/2 CFM
- 28" of Vacuum - 184 CFM
This product has no reviews.
No questions have been asked.
You may also be interested in:
97-Style Carburetor Fuel Inlet Fitting, 1/2 In-20 to 5/16 Hose, ChromeView$8.99
Quick ViewQuick View Detailsx
These fittings adapt 5/16" fuel hose to our 9 Super 7 carb as well as Stromberg 97's and Ford/Holley 94's (all with 1/2"-20 inlet threads).
- Stromberg 97
- Ford/Holley 94 with 1/2"-20 threads
- Speedway 9super7
Primary 9 Super 7 3-Bolt 2-Barrel Carburetor, Chrome FinishView$499.99
Quick ViewQuick View Detailsx
Speedway Motors now offers a reproduction version of one of the most popular 2 barrel carburetors ever used, the original Stromberg 97! Original equipment on 30s and 40s cars and trucks, the Stromberg 97 has long been favored by Flathead builders, hot rodders and racers who realized the performance qualities of this timeless fuel supplier.
There have been numerous attempts to reproduce this two barrel carb, with little success. "Speedy" Bill Smith of Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Nebraska, took on the challenge to make a great product even better. The 9 Super 7 ® carb brings this reproduction of the original Stromberg 97 into the 21st Century!
Speedway Motors has incorporated all of the improvements shown above while maintaining the carburetors original look. Features such as the choke assembly, accelerator pump, main jets and cosmetics have all been faithfully retained. Additionally, each carburetor is individually flow tested and inspected for leaks. Perfection is the result!
Aesthetically, the 9 Super 7 ® is nearly identical to the stock unit, minus the large 97 logo that appeared on the side and the patent numbers found on the float bowl area. Upgraded internal parts include; the float, needle, and seat. Jetting and power valve settings remain as they were for the original 97 carbs as well as the cfm and vacuum specs.
The other similarity that the 9Super7 ® shares with the original 97 is the setup and tuning necessary to yield a well-running machine. While perhaps not as simple as bolting on a single four-barrel, the 9 Super 7 makes setting up a multiple carburetor induction system easier than when Strombergs were available new. All thats required is an intake, a linkage system, a Uni-Syn syncing tool, and a little patience. Be sure to include the Secondary 9 Super 7 when installing multi-carb setups. Our 3 Carb kits come with one primary carburetor and two secondary carburetors while the 2 Carb kits are both primary carbs. See our Multiple Carburetor Tech Tip for more information on using the 9 Super 7 in a 2x2 or 3x2 carb set-up.
On the primary 9 super 7 carb the throttle shaft extends from carb body .983" and has the hole on the end to pin the linkage. There is a brass sleeve that the throttle shaft rotates in that extends from the carb body .400 and this leaves the useable throttle shaft length of .583. There is sufficient room for progressive linkage and the manual throttle linkage that rotates over the sleeve.
- All-new tooling for crisp, flawless castings
- New aluminum base assembly allows for cooler fuel temps and better fuel efficiency as compared to the original cast iron design
- Stainless steel screws and hardware
- Choke assembly, accelerator pump, and jets have all been faithfully retained and accept standard Stromberg parts
- Features original Stromberg 0.97" venturi diameter
- Modern Nitrophyl float and Neoprene gaskets
- Original troublesome needle and seat replaced by a Grose-style fuel inlet valve to better cope with higher fuel pressures and improved high speed running
- Will not stick or dribble like the old Viton-tipped needle and seat setups
- Grose-style jet valve wont corrode in modern fuel, something the original needle and seat units cant do
- Comes with a No. 65 power valve and 0.045" main jets, identical to the stock 97
- Extended brass throttle shaft to simplify multi-carb linkage
Note: Not recommended for use with Ethanol fuels.
Recipient of the NSRA 2009 Best New Product Award
Recipient of the Goodguys Best New Product Award - Engine and Transmission, Goodguys PPG Nationals 2009Compare