Garage Sale - Demon 98 Retro 3-Bolt Carburetor, Secondary
Click image to enlarge
Please NOTE the following about this product:
- This product is discontinued.
Q & A
What's in the Box
Demon 98 carburetors were designed to replace Stromberg, Ford or Holley 3-bolt base carbs and their variations. By using modern technology and components, they were able to give you a far superior product than previously available. The Demon 98 also shares jets, bowl gaskets, needle & seat and other parts used on the Demon 4bbl carbs. They flow 205 cfm each and operate at 6-7 lbs. of fuel pressure and use common 2-5/8" air cleaners.
This carburetor operates as a secondary carburetor and should be used with one or more Demon 98 primary carburetors. This secondary carb does not have a choke or idle-mixture adjustments. Call our Tech Line for assistance in designing your intake.
- Compact side-hung float bowls
- Carburetor towers accept 2-5/8-inch period-style air cleaners or air horns
- Flows 205 CFM
- Uses commonly available service parts (gaskets, power valves, accelerator pumps, etc.)
- Achieves higher performance by using contemporary designs of air-entries, air-fuel circuits, and boost venturii
- Accelerator-pump circuits have interchangeable nozzles (squirters)
- Adjustable air bleeds provide a means to adjust fuel curves
910-9802 Instructions (PDF)
Effective Monday 2-21-11 this part is now offered without a warranty and is sold "as is".
NO WARRANTY, NO RETURNS ON GARAGE SALE ITEMS
Demon 98 Secondary Carburetor
- Minimum 4-7/16" carb centers
- Inlet is .555 or 9/16 x 24 thread
- Accepts banjo fitting 427-2625 that goes to 5-16 hose
- Also bajno fitting 6174023 that accepts AN6 braided hose
No questions have been asked.
You may also be interested in:
Speedys 9 Super 7 Primary 3-Bolt 2 Barrel Carburetor, Plain FinishMore InfoCompare
Holley 26-25 Banjo Swivel Fitting for 5/16 Hose, 9/16-24Price: $19.99More InfoCompare
Carb Banjo Fitting, -6 AN to 9/16-24Price: $23.99More InfoCompare
Speedway Motors now offers a reproduction version of one of the most popular carburetors ever used, the original Stromberg 97! Original equipment on 30s and 40s cars and trucks, the Stromberg 97 has long been favored by flathead hot rodders and racers who realized the performance qualities of this timeless fuel supplier.
There have been numerous attempts to reproduce this unit, with little success. "Speedy" Bill Smith of Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Nebraska, took on the challenge to make a great product even better. The 9 Super 7 ® Carb brings this reproduction of the original Stromberg 97 2 barrel carb into the 21st Century!
Speedway Motors has incorporated all of the improvements shown above while maintaining the carburetors original look. Features such as the choke assembly, accelerator pump, main jets and cosmetics have all been faithfully retained. Additionally, each carburetor is individually flow tested and inspected for leaks. Perfection is the result!
Aesthetically, the 9Super7 is nearly identical to the stock unit, minus the large 97 logo that appeared on the side and the patent numbers found on the float bowl area. Upgraded internal parts include; the float, needle, and seat. Jetting and power valve settings remain as they were for the original 97 carbs as well as the cfm and vacuum specs.
The other similarity that the 9 Super 7 shares with the original 97 is the setup and tuning necessary to yield a well-running machine. While perhaps not as simple as bolting on a single four-barrel, the 9 Super 7 makes setting up a multiple carburetor induction system easier than when Strombergs were available new. All thats required is an intake, a linkage system, a Uni-Syn syncing tool, and a little patience. Be sure to include the Secondary 9 Super 7 when installing multi-carb setups. Our 3 Carb kits come with one primary carburetor and two secondary carburetors while the 2 Carb kits are both primary carbs. See our Multiple Carburetor Tech Tip for more information on using the 9 Super 7 in a 2x2 or 3x2 carb set-up.
On the primary 9 super 7 carb the throttle shaft extends from carb body .983" and has the hole on the end to pin the linkage. There is a brass sleeve that the throttle shaft rotates in that extends from the carb body .400 and this leaves the useable throttle shaft length of .583. There is sufficient room for progressive linkage and the manual throttle linkage that rotates over the sleeve.
- All-new tooling for crisp, flawless castings
- New aluminum base assembly allows for cooler fuel temps and better fuel efficiency as compared to the original cast iron design
- Stainless steel screws and hardware
- Choke assembly, accelerator pump, and jets have all been faithfully retained and accept standard Stromberg parts
- Features original Stromberg 0.97" venturi diameter
- Modern Nitrophyl float and Neoprene gaskets
- Original troublesome needle and seat replaced by a Grose-style fuel inlet valve to better cope with higher fuel pressures and improved high speed running
- Will not stick or dribble like the old Viton-tipped needle and seat setups
- Grose-style jet valve wont corrode in modern fuel, something the original needle and seat units cant do
- Comes with a No. 65 power valve and 0.045" main jets, identical to the stock 97
- Extended brass throttle shaft to simplify multi-carb linkage
Note: Not recommended for use with Ethanol fuels.
Item DetailsRecipient of the NSRA 2009 Best New Product Award!
Recipient of the Goodguys Best New Product Award! - Engine and Transmission, Goodguys PPG Nationals 2009
Fuel inlet banjo fitting for use with 5/16" hose. Has 9/16"-24 threads.
For Holley single feed 600-660 Series and all two barrel series with 9/16"-24 thread. Banjo fitting assembles directly to -6 AN hose.