Flathead V8 to Ford AOD Transmission Conversion Kit
Click image to enlarge
Please NOTE the following about this product:
- This item is sold as a kit.
Q & A
What's in the Box
Adapt your 1949-1953 Ford Flathead V8 engine to a modern Ford AOD automatic overdrive transmission so you can keep those stump-pulling low rear end gears, while still maintaining engine life and gas mileage. Plus, the lightweight flexplate and torque converter do wonders for throttle response and stop-and-go driving!
This kit includes Speedway's Street King AOD Ford transmission compltely remanufactured with heavy duty clutches, special shift kit, torque converter, engine adapter, special flexplate, modified 12-volt starter, hardware and instructions.
Transmission has a one year warranty.
NOTE: Must be used with open drive rearend (not included). Cooler, shifter, and chrome dress-up parts are sold separately. Fill tube, dipstick and kickdown cable are included.
- 1949-1953 Ford 8BA and 8CM Mercury Flathead V8 engines without integral bellhousing
Speedway Street King AOD transmission features:
- Handles up to 450 HP
- 2200-2400 rpm stall torque converter
- Firm, crisp shifts from Kevlar bands & H.D. clutches
- Extra wide overdrive band & extra 3-4 clutches to cushion downshifts
- Street/Strip Valve Body - everyday street driving and weekend trips to the drag strip
- Improved Lubrication Circuits - reduced heat/prolonged life
- Chrome steel transmission pan
- Includes TV pressure cable, dipstic, & fill tube
All warranty issues should be addressed to:
Performance Automatic, Inc.
Attn. Harvey Baker
8174 Beechcraft Ave.
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
Item Detailsfor 1949-53 Ford Flathead V8
You may also be interested in:
1935-48 Ford 6-Spline V8 Banjo Rear End Open Drive Conversion Kit$299.99More Info
1935-1948 Ford/Mercury High Speed Ring and Pinion Gear Set, 3.54 GearPrice: $349.99More Info
Aluminum Heatsink Transmission Cooler, 12 InchMore Info
Tremec GM TKO 5-Speed to 1949-53 Ford Flathead Engine Conversion KitPrice: $2,849.99More Info
Ford 28 Spline Yoke for T-5/C4/Toploader/AOD/AODE Trans, 1310 U-jointPrice: $84.99More Info
Lokar ATS6A0DAN Nostalgia Ford AOD Shifter w/ Free BootPrice: $239.99More Info
ARP Fasteners 200-2902 Chevy Flexplate BoltsMore Info
If you're building a nostalgia rod and want to run a modern tranny with your torque tube banjo rear end - here's your answer! This open drive conversion allows you to keep your 1935-48 Ford banjo rearend intact and run a normal driveshaft. This is a bolt-on kit that fits the common 6-spline pinion and requires no machine work.
See the feature article on this open driveline conversion in Street Rodder Magazine here.
919-1105 Instructions (PDF)
These ring & pinion sets fit 1935-1948 passenger cars or 1935-1941 Ford 1/2 ton pick-ups (no 3/4 ton or larger). All gear sets are direct replacements for stock, non-quickchange Ford banjo rear axles. 6-spline input.
- Fits 1935-48 Passenger Cars or 1935-41 Ford 1/2 ton pickups
- Does not fit 3/4 ton or larger
- Stock (non-quick change)
- All gear sets are direct replacements
- Six spline input
- 3.54 gear ratio
The conductivity of aluminum and added fins make these the best choice for performance and price. Includes hose barb fittings.
- Compact & efficient size
- All-aluminum design for maximum heat transfer
- Easily mounts to most frame rails
- Includes two hose nipples to fit 3/8" hose
This all-in-one kit is designed to adapt the versatile TREMEC TKO-500 transmission to your 1949-53 Ford Flathead engine. Serving up 500 lb-ft of torque capacity, along with confidence-inspiring shifts and fuel-saving overdrive, the TKO offers an ideal blend of brute strength and street manners. This kit includes everything you need for installation*.
- Sold as a complete conversion kit
- TKO overdrive transmission to 1949-53 Flathead
- .68 overdrive 5th gear for smooth cruising on the highway
- *See note below regarding 1949-53 OEM 3" adapter
- TREMEC GM TK-500 5-speed overdrive manual transmission (91029027)
- GM Manual Transmission to Flathead V8 adapter (91628912)
- Flathead clutch release bearing (91025620)
- Release bearing adapter (91629517)
- Pilot bearing (91629520)
- Flathead 10-1/2" long style clutch pressure plate 910-15635
- Flathead 10" clutch disc (91015644)
- Flathead clutch release fork (91675150)
- Flathead clutch shaft release pin (91675151)
- Flathead clutch release shaft (91675101)
- Clutch release spring (91675152)
- Flathead steel flywheel (91015629)
- ARP flywheel bolts (1012002802)
- ARP pressure plate bolts (1011502201)
Note: Flywheel provided in this kit is for the 1949-53 Ford Flathead engine application. The 1949-53 engine application will require this kit to utilize the OEM 3" adapter bellhousing (to be provided by the installer - not currently available from Speedway Motors).
TKO-500 Service Manual (PDF)
916-28912 Instructions (PDF)
These 28 spline steel slip yokes for 1310 u-joints are designed to work with T-5/C4/Toploader/AOD/AODE Ford transmissions.
- 28 spline
- 1310 u-joint
Note: 1310 equates to a u-joint width of 3-1/4"
Lokar's Nostalgia Shifter is designed with 2 bends in the lever and a black mushroom knob for a nostalgic hot rod look. It has 23" lever, Teflon-lined Safety-Lock-Out button, main plate, and side brackets.
For Ford AOD automatic overdrive transmissions.
Free boot with purchase of Nostalgia Shifter!
Flexplate bolts play an important role in the performance and safety of race cars and street machines alike. That’s why the fastener experts at ARP develop special bolts that are far superior to OEM hardware. Forged from aerospace alloy and heat-treated prior to thread rolling and machining.
Fits Chevrolet 90° V6 & 265-454 Chevy V8 with 2-Pc rear seal. Set of 6 bolts.
- Exclusive, flat, 12-point head design
- Larger than stock shank diameter for increased strength and improved flexplate register
- Originally developed for NASCAR Winston Cup competition
- 200,000 psi rating