Currie 98828 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 28 Spline Axle, 28 Inch
- Get FREE shipping when your order includes this item and exceeds $99! Ground shipping only in the contiguous US.
This Currie 9+ CTF (Cut To Fit) 9" Ford axle provides you with a 28" long, 28 spline axle shaft with 4" of spline length. Up to 3" of this spline length may be cut off so that you may attain an axle length anywhere between 25" and 28" and still have adequate spline engagement into your 3rd. member. All CTF axles feature high performance induction heat treated forged alloy steel construction, and feature a 2.525" brake space dimension which is stock for 64-72 Mustang, Falcons, Fairlanes, and Maverick rearends. Wheel bolt pattern is drilled the stock 5 on 4 1/2" pattern, and an access hole is drilled.
All CTF axles come with a full installation package which includes a set of five 1/2"-20 Ford style wheel studs, one heavy duty small bearing style retainer plate, one high quality small axle bearing with retaining collar, and one axle seal. Sold as a kit.
Need a certain length not found on our site? Check out Currie's 9+ Rearend Calculator to have specially sized axles or rearend housings made for your specific application. Custom orders will be built and processed directly through Currie Enterprizes and shipped to your door. For ease of ordering, please refer to Currie's Dimension Diagram.
Notes: 1) Axle specifications are 2.525" brake spacing offset, bolts into standard small bearing housing end type, and features a 2.430" axle register diameter. 2) Axle bearing does not come pressed onto the axle shaft, and wheel studs are not installed.
- 28 Spline
- 6.158" Axle flange dia.
- Compatible with "standard small bearing" housing and brakes with 2.525" brake spacing offset
- Drilled for 5 on 4-1/2"wheel bolt patterns
- Includes 1/2"-20 wheel studs
- Compatible with "Small Bearing" housing and brakes with 2-1/2" offset
- Includes the axle bearing and retainer you will have to press on
- Axles sold each, not as a pair
When installing new axles in rearends with posi traction differentials, be sure to install the driver's side axle first to keep the splines properly aligned. Failure to do so may move the two splined gears out of alignment, and it may be difficult to install the driver's side axle properly if the passenger side axle is already installed.
Ifinstallation of passenger side axle is done first it may require two people when installing the driver's side axle, with both parties rotating reach axle until splines are in line and the driver's side axle fully sides into the housing.
When cutting axles to desired lengths Currie recommends:
- Normal steel cutting machinery (cold saw, band saw, chop saw, etc.)
- Using a sleeve around the axle such as a small piece of PVC tubing - this allows:
- The axle to be spun in place while being cut
- A perimeter cut around the outer diameter assisting in keeping the cut square
- Avoiding the build-up of too much heat by doing a straight cut (like a knife though a stick of butter)
To ensure you get the most out of your new 9 Inch components, Currie recommends that you perform a proper break-in process:
- Use a name brand mineral-based gear oil, preferably 85w140 (Extremely high quality synthetic oils may be used once break-in process has been successfully performed)
- Place vehicle on jack stands and let the rearend spin while the vehicle idles - run transmission in both forward and reverse periodically throughout the process
- Continue to run the rearend until the pinion gets hot (place hand on bottom of the differential housing to verify this)
- Proper break-in allows:
- The ability to install new axles and hit the track the same day without worry
- Extended life for rearend components
- Keeps the quality and life of your gear oil
Note: If you find that your rearend is running somewhat "tight" be sure to add Currie's 9+ Friction Modifier to "loosen up". If a more aggressive performance is desired, Friction Modifier is not needed.
More Like This
Currie 98832 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 28 Spline Axle, 32 Inch
Currie 98132 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 31 Spline Axle, 32 Inch
Currie 98126 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 31 Spline Axle, 26 Inch
Currie 98135 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 31 Spline Axle, 35 Inch
9 Inch Ford Cut-to-Fit Axle with Bearing
Currie 98129 9 Inch Ford Cut-To-Fit 31 Spline Axle, 29 Inch
Currie CE-98129-28625 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 28-5/8 Inch
Currie CE-98129-28375 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 28-1/4 Inch
Double Splined Solid Axle - 28 Spline
Currie CE-98129-26375 9 Inch Ford 31 Spline Axle Shaft, 26-3/8 Inch
Q & A
Videos & Articles
The Speedway Motors Tech Team created a quick how-to on squaring the front axle of your open wheel race car.