Currie CE-FDM6466X 1964-66 Mustang 9 Inch Ford Replacement Rear Axle
Click image to enlarge
Q & A (2)
What's in the Box
Now you can have all the strength and serviceability benefits that the Ford 9" offers underneath your Mustang. Currie Crate Rearends are built using the stock overall width, pinion offest, and mounting points of your original rear axle housing, making it a 100% bolt-in upgrade (with the addition of new U-bolts and spring plates designed for a 3" O.D. axle tube).
- All new 9-Plus heavy duty housing
- Heavy duty 2-1/4” wide leaf spring pads installed in stock location
- 31 spline performance axle shafts
- 57-3/8" width
- Torino-style late model large bearing housing ends
- Third member studs installed
- Axles drilled for stock 5 on 4-1/2" wheel bolt pattern
- 1/2"-20 wheel studs pressed into axles
- 1/4” thick heavy duty bearing retainer plates
- Tapered Timken style wheel bearings pressed onto axle
Note: Works with Speedway rear disc brake kits, 11" Ford Explorer disc brakes, and Wilwood disc brakes. Third member sold separately. Requires axle U-bolts and spring plates designed for a 3" O.D. axle housing tube (not included).
To learn more about Currie's 9+ rearends, check out these Frequently Asked Questions on 9-Plus Housing (Link)
When installing new axles in rearends with posi traction differentials, be sure to install the driver's side axle first to keep the splines properly aligned. Failure to do so may move the two splined gears out of alignment, and it may be difficult to install the driver's side axle properly if the passenger side axle is already installed.
Ifinstallation of passenger side axle is done first it may require two people when installing the driver's side axle, with both parties rotating reach axle until splines are in line and the driver's side axle fully sides into the housing.
To ensure you get the most out of your new 9 Inch components, Currie recommends that you perform a proper break-in process:
- Use a name brand mineral-based gear oil, preferably 85w140 (Extremely high quality synthetic oils may be used once break-in process has been successfully performed)
- Place vehicle on jack stands and let the rearend spin while the vehicle idles - run transmission in both forward and reverse periodically throughout the process
- Continue to run the rearend until the pinion gets hot (place hand on bottom of the differential housing to verify this)
- Proper break-in allows:
- The ability to install new axles and hit the track the same day without worry
- Extended life for rearend components
- Keeps the quality and life of your gear oil
Note: If you find that your rearend is running somewhat "tight" be sure to add Currie's 9+ Friction Modifier to "loosen up". If a more aggressive performance is desired, Friction Modifier is not needed.
You may also be interested in:
Maier FXXAA00100 Rear Panhard Bar Kit, 1964-70 MustangView$428.99Compare
Currie Ford 9 Inch Posi Traction Third Member AssemblyView$1,199.99Compare
Ford Racing 11 Inch Drum Brake Kit, 2-1/2 OffsetView$479.99Compare