Barry Grant Demon 98 Retro Carb - Rebuild Kit
Click image to enlarge
Q & A
What's in the Box
Genuine Barry Grant Demon Carb factory rebuild kit. Works with both Primary and Secondary carbs.
Effective Monday 2-21-11 this part is now offered without a warranty and is sold "as is".
Item DetailsRebuild Kit
This product has no reviews.
No questions have been asked.
You may also be interested in:
Three Bolt Carb Mounting Stud KitPrice: $9.99More Info
Professional Products 10211 Polished Aluminum Inline Fuel FilterMore Info
Stromberg 97 Phenolic Carb SpacerMore Info
Speedys 9 Super 7 Primary 3-Bolt 2 Barrel Carburetor, Plain FinishMore Info
Includes three studs, three stainless steel washers and three stainless steel fiber lock nuts. Services one carb.
Highly polished aluminum filter complete with reusable 35 micron stainless steel mesh filter element. Intended for carbureted systems with 8 PSI max pressure. Filter elements can be cleaned in solvent and reused.
- Designed for low pressure, carbureted systems
- Flows 160 gallons per hour at 7 psi
- 3/8" NPT female threads
These phenolic insulating carburetor spacers fit common 3 bolt base Stromberg, Holley and Ford carbs.
Speedway Motors now offers a reproduction version of one of the most popular carburetors ever used, the original Stromberg 97! Original equipment on '30s and '40s cars and trucks, the Stromberg 97 has long been favored by flathead hot rodders and racers who realized the performance qualities of this timeless fuel supplier.
There have been numerous attempts to reproduce this unit, with little success. "Speedy" Bill Smith of Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Nebraska, took on the challenge to make a great product even better. The 9 Super 7 ® Carb brings this reproduction of the original Stromberg 97 2 barrel carb into the 21st Century!
Speedway Motors has incorporated all of the improvements shown above while maintaining the carburetor's original look. Features such as the choke assembly, accelerator pump, main jets and cosmetics have all been faithfully retained. Additionally, each carburetor is individually flow tested and inspected for leaks. Perfection is the result!
Aesthetically, the 9Super7 is nearly identical to the stock unit, minus the large 97 logo that appeared on the side and the patent numbers found on the float bowl area. Upgraded internal parts include; the float, needle, and seat. Jetting and power valve settings remain as they were for the original 97 carbs as well as the cfm and vacuum specs.
The other similarity that the 9 Super 7 shares with the original 97 is the setup and tuning necessary to yield a well-running machine. While perhaps not as simple as bolting on a single four-barrel, the 9 Super 7 makes setting up a multiple carburetor induction system easier than when Strombergs were available new. All that's required is an intake, a linkage system, a Uni-Syn syncing tool, and a little patience. Be sure to include the Secondary 9 Super 7 when installing multi-carb setups. Our 3 Carb kits come with one primary carburetor and two secondary carburetors while the 2 Carb kits are both primary carbs. See our Multiple Carburetor Tech Tip for more information on using the 9 Super 7 in a 2x2 or 3x2 carb set-up.
On the primary 9 super 7 carb the throttle shaft extends from carb body .983" and has the hole on the end to pin the linkage. There is a brass sleeve that the throttle shaft rotates in that extends from the carb body .400 and this leaves the useable throttle shaft length of .583. There is sufficient room for progressive linkage and the manual throttle linkage that rotates over the sleeve.
- All-new tooling for crisp, flawless castings
- New aluminum base assembly allows for cooler fuel temps and better fuel efficiency as compared to the original cast iron design
- Stainless steel screws and hardware
- Choke assembly, accelerator pump, and jets have all been faithfully retained and accept standard Stromberg parts
- Features original Stromberg 0.97" venturi diameter
- Modern Nitrophyl float and Neoprene gaskets
- Original troublesome needle and seat replaced by a Grose-style fuel inlet valve to better cope with higher fuel pressures and improved high speed running
- Will not stick or dribble like the old Viton-tipped needle and seat setups
- Grose-style jet valve won't corrode in modern fuel, something the original needle and seat units can't do
- Comes with a No. 65 power valve and 0.045" main jets, identical to the stock 97
- Extended brass throttle shaft to simplify multi-carb linkage
Note: Not recommended for use with Ethanol fuels.