Speedway Motors now offers a reproduction version of one of the most popular carburetors ever used, the original Stromberg 97! Original equipment on '30s and '40s cars and trucks, the Stromberg 97 has long been favored by flathead hot rodders and racers who realized the performance qualities of this timeless fuel supplier.
There have been numerous attempts to reproduce this unit, with little success. "Speedy" Bill Smith of Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Nebraska, took on the challenge to make a great product even better. The 9 Super 7 ® Carb brings this reproduction of the original Stromberg 97 2 barrel carb into the 21st Century!
Speedway Motors has incorporated all of the improvements shown above while maintaining the carburetor's original look. Features such as the choke assembly, accelerator pump, main jets and cosmetics have all been faithfully retained. Additionally, each carburetor is individually flow tested and inspected for leaks. Perfection is the result!
Aesthetically, the 9 Super 7 is nearly identical to the stock unit, minus the large 97 logo that appeared on the side and the patent numbers found on the float bowl area. Upgraded internal parts include; the float, needle, and seat. Jetting and power valve settings remain as they were for the original 97 carbs as well as the cfm and vacuum specs.
The other similarity that the 9Super7 carb shares with the original 97 is the setup and tuning necessary to yield a well-running machine. While perhaps not as simple as bolting on a single four-barrel, the 9 Super 7 makes setting up a multiple carburetor induction system easier than when Strombergs were available new. All that's required is an intake, a linkage system, a Uni-Syn syncing tool, and a little patience. Our 3 Carb kits come with one primary carburetor and two secondary carburetors while the 2 Carb kits are both primary carbs. See our Multiple Carburetor Tech Tip for more information on using the 9 Super 7 in a 2x2 or 3x2 carb tri power set-up.
- Three Deuce carburetor setups come with two "secondary" carbs for front and rear intake position and one "primary" carb for central/middle position
- All-new tooling for crisp, flawless castings
- New aluminum base assembly allows for cooler fuel temps and better fuel efficiency as compared to the original cast iron design
- Stainless steel screws and hardware
- Features original Stromberg 0.97" venturi diameter
- Modern Nitrophyl float and Neoprene gaskets
- Original troublesome needle and seat replaced by a Grose-style fuel inlet valve to better cope with higher fuel pressures and improved high speed running
- Will not stick or dribble like the old Viton-tipped needle and seat setups
- Grose-style jet valve won't corrode in modern fuel, something the original needle and seat units can't do
- Comes with a No. 65 power valve and 0.045" main jets, identical to the stock 97
- Extended brass throttle shaft to simplify multi-carb linkage
- Primary Carb - (1) Middle Position
- Choke assembly, accelerator pump, and jets have all been faithfully retained and accept standard Stromberg parts
- Secondary Carb - (2) Front and Rear Position
- Special base plate with no idle circuits or choke linkage
- Special butterflies and shafts installed
- Works best with progressive linkage
- Idle only off the center or main carburetor
- No more plug foul
Note: The secondary carbs have NO choke, and they have NO idle system.
915-11655 Primary Carburetor Instructions (PDF)