401-425 Buick Nailhead Oil Pump Rebuild Kit
Click image to enlarge
Q & A
What's in the Box
This oil pump rebuild kit fits '62-'66 401 and '63-'66 425 engines only.
Item DetailsFits 1962-66 401 & 1963-66 425 engines only
You may also be interested in:
MSD 8524 Buick Nailhead Ready to Run Billet DistributorPrice: $384.99More Info
Best Gasket RS597G 401-425 Buick Nailhead Full Gasket SetMore Info
Red Line 81403 Cam Break-In Oil Lube Additive$14.99More Info
The Buick Nailhead is one of the most sought after nostalgic engines for rods and is still providing the smooth power to plenty of Buicks. Nailhead fans can finally get a state-of-the-art distributor to provide the fire! MSD’s Nailhead Distributor is a ready-to-run distributor and is ready to go without the need for additional control box.
- Fits 322, 364, 401 and 425 Buick Nailheads
- 12 volt operation
- Does not require an MSD Ignition Control
- Accepts HEI style spark plug wires
- Simple and clean installation with only three wires to connect
- Powerful built-in module produces a 7.5 amp single spark through high rpm
- Easy-to-adjust mechanical advance with supplied springs and stop bushings
- Vacuum advance canister for improved economy (can be locked out)
- CNC machined billet aluminum housing and billet aluminum base
- Maintenance-free magnetic pickup and precision reluctor create stable trigger signals throughout the rpm range
- Polished steel shaft is QPQ coated and guided by a sealed ball bearing
- Advance plate and weights are fine blanked from Chromoly steel and QPQ coated for friction reduction
- Mechanical advance assembly can be locked out for crank trigger systems
- Advance weight pins are staked and tig welded to the plate
- Nylon pads ensure smooth operation of the advance weights
547-8524 Instructions (PDF)
910-F5S9* 401-425 Full gasket set
*Misprinted as 910-F5597 in catalog #259
A lot has happened over the last year that affects your engine. The biggest is the reduction of zinc in the oils you use. Zinc is a great anti-friction additive but it also gets burned in the combustion chamber and then goes out the tailpipe of your car or truck.
This adds to the pollution problem on street driven cars, but not so much in race engines as they tend to be more efficient and have a better ring package.
Odds are the oil you are using does not have as much zinc in it anymore and you need to add this camshaft break-in additive.
If not, you can wipe out your new cam and lifters in the first 30 seconds of running. Adding Redline's additive when you assemble your engine and with each oil change will ensure you have enough additives to help keep your engine alive.