Unisteer 1928-32 Ford Cross-Steer Rack and Pinion
Click image to enlarge
Please note the following about this product:
- This item is sold as a kit.
Q & A (23)
What's in the Box
InfoThis is a great new concept for street rods with tubular or I-beam axles. It's hard to visualize how this works, but it's the hottest new idea out there!
Designed to replace the common Vega steering box, this rack and pinion assembly has a long passenger-side tie rod that hooks up to the right spindle like a Vega-style drag link. The rack unit is mounted on a sturdy bracket that bolts to your existing Vega box mount. The rack mounts much lower and farther forward than a box to provide more clearance, and those who have installed the system report quicker steering response and easier effort than a steering box.
The racks have 9/16" 26-spline shafts and the extension shafts are 5/8" 36-spline, just like a Vega box. Plus, our steering shaft extension 910-32244 allows you to reuse your existing steering U-joints and shafts when replacing your Vega box.
Specify 11/16" or 5/8" tie rod thread. The 5/8" is used with a LH heim joint, 11/16" is used with a LH tie rod end. Outer tie rod and jam nut not included.
If you are using heim ends, you may wish to order heim 175-0316 and jam nut 910-01056. If using tie rod ends, you may wish to order tie rod end 910-02919 and jam nut 910-01159.
910-32245 Instructions (PDF)
Cross Steering Tech Tip (Link)
This cross steer rack set up is for converting an existing hot rod with Vega steering to a cross steer rack and pinion. It is NOT a direct replacement on an original 1974 Vega. It bolts on in the same location as a Vega box on the hot rod applications and drops the rack lower so the drag link is more inline with the tie rod. It requires an extension from the input shaft to the existing column or u-joint since it is lower than the Vega box. It needs to be ordered for 5/8” heims or Ford Tie rod end for attachment to the steering arm on the passenger side of your hot rod.
This rack is designed to fit the frame widths on the 1928-32 Ford cars and vehicle weight in the 2500 pound range and is designed to work well with a spring over 4" drop axle.
- Replaces the common Vega steering box
- Has a long passenge-side tie rod that hooks up to the right spindle like a Vega-style drag link
- Rack unit is mounted on a sturdy bracket which bolts to your existing Vega box mount
- Optional steering shaft extension allows you to reuse your existing U-joints and shafts - 5/8" - 36 spline (just like Vega box)
- Has 9/16" - 26 spline (Input shaft)
- Specify 11/16" or 5/8" tie rod thread
- Outer tie rod and jam nut not included
Note: If not using an extension shaft you will need a 9/16" - 26 spline u-joint.
- 3.75 turns lock-to-lock
- Total stroke of 5.25”
- From the back side of the frame mount to the end of threads on the Rack is 19.5" 2.0" of that is threads.
- Drag link tube is 16.5" long
- Assembled this is 34.0" long with about +1.0" - +1.5" of adjustment.
You may also be interested in:
Unisteer 1933-34 Ford Cross-Steer Rack and PinionView$399.99Compare